Can YOU do mental math?

Can you solve easy and hard addition/subtraction/multiplication and divison problems in your head quickly? Or do you have to count using your fingers or writing the problem down?

• Yes, I'm very quick at solving math problems in my head
  • No, I have to use my fingers or paper
1mo Yo come on people tell me
1mo It seems more men are better at math than women.

Most Helpful Guy

• compared to the norm i'm quite good ie I tried some of those games where you solve them more quickly than the other players and I don't think i lost one.

But i can't keep up with the pepole that do it in front of an audience 3-4 digit numbers take me some time to think.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can do both. It just depends on the question. I definitely don't need a calculator, but it really helps to have a piece of paper to write on. Even if the question is easy (like 83-6), I still like to write it down or use my fingers to count. I don't HAVE to, but writing things down is a good way to remember them, and I want to make sure I subtracted it correctly. In middle school I had questions with at least 10 different numbers that all needed to be added together. Most people just used a calculator, but I wrote all of it and did things that way. It is how I learned math and how I will continue to do math.

I do know some things off the top of my head. I have multiples of 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10's memorized. I can never remember 6's or 8's. That's why I automatically rely on paper and a pencil.

What Guys Said 22

• Nope. I'm terrible at it. I have to use a calculator.

• I guess a little, but I am not extremely confident with it. I also tend to lose my train of thought so I definitely prefer to use a calculators or Excel.

• One time I had a job interview in which I spent about 20 minutes describing my most recent project, for which I was using vector calculus on a mathematical model involving a multi-dimensional acyclic hypergraph being expressed as a 3D object.

At the end of my long description, I was asked a question about it and my answer was "I dunno - whatever 64 times 4 is".

• Yeah usually something simple like a certain percentage off or a tip I can figure out in my head. Something complex not really I have to write it out.

What is complex to you?

Would you be turned off by a girl who couldn't do mental math even simple ones?

No way lol. Not everyone can do math in their head. Some people just pick up things differently.

• I can solve maths problems to a great extent. But I want to solve it in a systematic way by solving it by writing it down on a paper and rechecking it it whether it seems to be okay. Although I can also do mental thinking to a great extent , i am not too sure that I could be right.. So only in emergency situations and when the problem is simple then I rely on my mental math.

• Definitely I was known for that since the age of 5. I ended up majoring in math too but it hasn't helped me there a lot. I'd say only on number theory courses.

How do you do mental math? Can it be achieved by someone that cannot do it?

There are as many ways as there are people. Of course you can you just need to practice a lot and think about it often everywhere.

• I do it all in my head I don't count on my fingers

• I am usually quite good at mental maths

• Im quick with basic math because i use it all the time every day but anything beyond basic algebra i would have to relearn at this point.

• Yeah I'm pretty good. Used to drive my physics teacher nuts because I never showed my work, did it a lot of it in my head.
    I had the nickname Cyborg for a while.

• I used to be good at it. It you gave me a 5-6 digit number I could take the cube root with 3-4 digit accuracy. It would take a little while though.

Now I can't even come close to that.

• Mental math is pretty easy

• So many sleep less night bcoz of Math

• Yes.

• I used to do calculus in my head...

• Sorry but you can't really draw statistical conclusions from these polls. Mainly because the sample size is not regulated for equal participation between sexes and there is no way to verify single or accurate submissions

• Everyone does it. It is easy tho same things all the time.

• eh I'm not very good at it but yes... I can

• I can do some darn diddly mental math

• Some i can but i do use my cell phone calculator i bought from the Google Play Store.

• Sometimes

• I'm quite good at it, but with big numbers it will take a while

I was called the human calculator at school :P

Lucky you. I'm amazed and jealous by peope who can do quick solving of equations in their heads. I'm so slow even when it comes to money.

Well all you need is to be able to remember a few numbers at once while you think, then know a few basic tricks for working stuff out fast like splitting multiplications. For example if I was doing 12*53 in my head i'd do it like this 12*53=10*53+2*53=530+100+6=636

What Girls Said 15

• Some, hun, but mostly Now... Calculator.
    I was never a Whiz in Math but a Genius in English in School, as a Rule.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• I don't really see the point in mental maths. When someone can say 9x9 is 81 in two seconds flat isn't intelligent, they just have a good memory and put effort into learning and memorising equation after equation. True intelligence comes from those who discover, who can take a source and bring several factors out of it. A painter is both talented and intelligent, art is something that outlasts the artist, it can capture emotions and knowledge. A poet is intelligent, as they can put words together, under several layers of meaning. Have you seen a Robert browning poem annotated? You can surface so much from a single verb. A scientist is intelligent because they can imagine and discover, they are both creative and blunt. They come up with theories, testing their accuracy based upon the laws of space, time, speed, sound. - a lovely speech by Sophia

Cashiering. You need to know it if you ever wanted to cashier

Yeah but, I'm going to be an anaesthetist and a brain surgeon

• I use math all day everyday and most basic math I do quickly in my head but fractions and larger muktiplication/division I need to reach for my calculator.

• no i suck in maths

• I wouldn't say I'm quick but yeah I can do it in my head. If we're talking about super complex stuff then I'd need to write it down though of course

• ı am bad at math

• If I have the problem written in front of me I can do it... but unless it's super easy I can't do it just in my head.

• For the most part I usually need a calculator or some paper just to make sure. Its like I know how to do it but I always doubt myself lol

• nope
    I need to write it down

• I'm pretty good at figuring out math problems mentally unless it's math involving ridiculously huge #s.

• i really can't do that

So what do you do?

use paper, I mean I can work out math problems in my head but it takes me a long time

Same here I can't even solve relatively easy ones.

• Im retarded at math seriously

• I'm pretty good at it, but only up to 5 digits.
    At my old school, we had timed tests, so mental math was essential.

• No. No I cannot. Not if it's complex.
    I like watching the videos of Indian kids doing mental math though. Makes me feel like maybe I'm from a different planet. A planet where we live happy math free lives.

So you can do stuff like 12+14 or 25+18 or 9+8? Cause even with that I have to use my fingers or think slowly :(

Why cnt I do it?

Maybe you need to learn some of the tricks? Like9 takes 1 to make a ten. And 8 has 2 vacuum holes so it takes 2? It worked for my kids lol

• Yeah I can