Muhammad Ali VS Mike Tyson, who do you think would win?

If both of them were in their prime, who do you think would win in a boxing match? Ali or Tyson?

1mo It's just dawned on me that i should have made this a poll XD

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Ali, probably, but much less of a sure thing than many imagine.

Ali did not love swarmers. The ideal matchup for Ali was big powerful slow guys. Tyson was fast and had fantastic slipping vs. jabs. I think Ali would pull away in the later rounds, assuming it got there.

People somehow remember Tyson as this fearsome brawler. He was a small HW who did hit hard, but it was his mobility and speed with that power that made him lethal.

Tyson wasn't Foreman. He was this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRs5budNvxg

For you kids (hey he was before my time too) who don't know why people go on about Ali, here's a clip showing his speed/reflexes sense of space. He moved - so damn well - for a HW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_xHSfU5FJA

By the way - there's a good argument that Louis was better than either.

Marciano would beat Tyson, Ali, and Louis in the same night.

What Girls Said 1

• Muhammad Ali ✊👊✊👊✊

What Guys Said 22

• 0|2
  • Judging by the look of Mike Tyson, I'd place bets on him

Lol based on looks i'd never have bet on him. He was a 5'10" HW!

@0112358 Except Tyson was known for speed, and Ali was known for going against the slow, strong guys.

I would say Ali was - in his era - probably more 'known' for speed. Tyson was fast but became known for power... and when he got older, he stopped defending as well, wasn't conditioned as well and just looked for KOs.

I think it's pretty widely agreed Ali fought much better competition - not Tyson's fault. But there was no Foreman or Frazier in their prime for him to fight. I wouldn't call frazier slow by the way ;)

Tyson vs. Ali is fascinating because in some ways they both did their core thing so well - Ali using the jab, Tyson weaving to counter vs. the jab, both showed flashes of flaws the other might exploit (Ali punching down to much, Tyson being frustrated in the light Ali-style clinch larry holmes used on him well out of his prime) ...

• This is just like Dr. J vs His Airness GOAT. Ali wins, why? Because Ali has created his own style that almost every boxer do now days, he was so fast the other boxers couldn't see his fist and at the same time they couldn't land their fist on him, it wasn't easy. Tython, ehhm Tyson is strong but not as fast as Ali was, Tyson is still by far one of the greatest and youngest boxers at the time but he is not a match up for Ali.

• Huge Ali fan, but Tyson would murder him. Tyson was faster and had exceptional defense and head movement, but on top of that he had ferocity and power. Ali has no real advantages. Tyson grew up after Ali and had the benefit of learning from him, also.

Ali's advantages would be reach, stamina, potentially ability to frustrate tyson with the loose clinch he used late in his career (which an aging larry holmes had a fair bit of success with vs. tyson though he lost).

But I like Tyson's approach on Ali... Tyson did damage on 'in punches' but was not an infighter the way Frazier was, he liked to do his damage on the way in slipping the jab. Ali's jab was phenomenal, Tyson when crisp countered the jab phenomenally. If Ali held in there in the early rounds, when Tyson slowed down he had a lot more problem vs the jab. But that's a big if. Gotta like how tyson kept his head up weaving as well, not like the weavers Ali lit up with uppercuts.

• I put my money on iron mike. He had a lot more power than Ali and was a lot quicker than anyone Ali faced and might've been quicker than Ali

• Muhammad Ali. He would dance circles around Tyson. I don't care what any Tyson fan says, George Foreman was MUCH more menacing and had more power.

• Stylistically, Ali. Much more fluid and flowing, with knockout power and a longer reach. Tyson would have to turn it into a close in brawl, which I believe would be more difficult to impose on Ali.

• Wow this question is asked a lot, nonetheless a good one. Muhammad Ali, Ali fought guys who could hit just as hard as Tyson and they still couldn't drop him. Liston was arguably a more menacing fighter than Tyson and Ali wasn't fazed by him one bit.

Liston was almost 40 when he fought Ali, half blind in one eye, and was never as fast or as elusive as Tyson. No comparison. Ali never faced anyone who was a speed and power monster like Tyson. Never in his career.

• Muhammad ali for sure
    there's no boxer like Muhammad ali

• I think Ali would beat Tyson the same way Lennox Lewis did.

• Ali would win.
    He had the technique, the speed and the tactics.
    Tyson is just a thug.

• Tyson at 30-0 would've knocked Ali the fuck out

• Muhammad Ali would take Tyson out

• In his prime, Mike Tyson.

• Tyson was unmatched for speed and power, but I think Ali would have outsmarted him.

• Tyson my son

• Mike Tyson hands down. Mike had great speed, great punching in both hands and solid defense. He would've knock Ali out!

• Tyson, easily.

• Ali.

• High mungus

• ali for sure

• Mike Tyson probably. He is shorter but bigger and stronger. Tyson outweighed Ali in their primes, even though Ali was 5 inches taller.

Longer reach and longer legs in the same weight class where the fight would take place. Reach is a huge advantage.

@rjroy3 But look at Tyson compared to Ali... Tyson is much bigger (muscle wise). He could throw harder punches and could also take a beating if he had to. This would be the biggest sporting event in history. Too bad they didn't fight during the same period.