Is racism very prevalent towards Indians?

I feel like it is.

For some reason I feel like as a culture they're looked down upon. It's really interesting because I never realized it until recently

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• dude, haven't you heard that individuals of every race (not just Indians) feel like their own race is the most mistreated? It's not a competition, relax.

It's not I agree.

But what actually is so, so UNBELIEVABLE to me is that I never realized it existed. It exists a lot in reality.

yeah unfortunately racism is something that still exists for everyone. Best just ignore it, especially not taking to heart the things you'll read on online forums such as this one.

You know what's really sad? Is that when a person and I don't mean myself goes out to tell someone about those kind of incidents, the person at the other end normally defends the racist.

As in, 'maybe that person didn't mean to,' 'maybe that person was uncomfortable' etc. etc. And I know those people mean well, I really do.

But it actually scares me. Here we have a person who has behaved unacceptably in broad daylight. That person is at fault REGARDLESS if it's racism or not because they have behaved awfully to another person.

The victim is really not going to feel better if repeatedly people cover for the perpetuator.

Unfortunately, in every culture there are racists and when we say someone is racist, it's not that we're attacking the culture we're identifying the PERSON who is racist. Too many times people jump to defend the racist person thinking that if they agree then they're putting down their own culture, which actually has nothing to do with it.

What Guys Said 13

• Of course they are haha. They've been royally screwed since the Americas were colonized and now they're being paraded around as mascots for multi-billion dollar franchises without receiving a single penny in compensation.

I think she mean Indians from India and its offensive to call them Indians (Natives).

@NatashaJ Oh no definitely. I had 2 Indian roommates in the Spring who were loud, obnoxious, and lacked respect for the other 3 people living there. However, I also know a shit ton of white guys who are the exact same way. I think generally every race has those type of people in it, but I also think it may have to be with how their culture was before they came over to Canada. I would argue that in like 2 or 3 years it would at least be toned down in comparison, maybe not completely changed but probably toned down. I don't really care about the languages aspect because we are diverse enough that they can get by on not knowing English, but some people get really irritated by it. Then again, Vancouver's housing market is expensive as shit mainly because of foreign buyers (Mainland China) coming over and buying houses 2 million over asking price. So I get the argument and sure some are them are dicks but I'd say also the majority of them are chill.

Yeah let haters hate.

• Which kind? The football team or slumdog millionaire?

• I would say that I have not noticed it. . . but the way that Indians (specially the women) complain without end.
    Honestly, it never freaking stops and they are always wanting to haggle and get something for nothing.

What do you mean by get something for nothing?

See this is, no offense, what I was talking about when I said the racism thing.

I never even noticed people had those attitudes until recently. It scares me because it makes me think about experiences in my life wehre I thought the person at the other end was just behaving badly. I now realize it was so much more than that.

Try working in retail and dealing with Indians, especially Indian tourists.
      They are always trying to haggle and get something for nothing. They do not understand the concept of a ticketed price. It is extremely annoying.
      A Sikh restaurant owner I know dreads his fellow Indians as customers, because the complaining does not stop.
      What you call 'attitudes' are responses to culturally stereotypical behaviours of Indians.

You know, because you mentioned this I would like to recall an incident where I was witness. I had gone to an Indian restaurant abroad. Two men (I don't know what ethnicity, but they were white), said that they wanted the bill from the Indian waiters. So the waiters gave it to him.

He was screaming and yelling at them saying no I want the actual BILL and they're like yes it's what we gave you. They said no my manager wants the actual bill so I can get refunded etc. etc. (probably company pays for meals). The Indian waiter made it clear that this is our bill this is what we got etc.

The guy went on to 'haggle' it was so embarrassing. I realized there is a very good chance these two men did not want to pay for their bill and was trying to cheat that Indian waiter. Even if there was a chance that they didn't think the bill was legit, that is absolutely NO WAY to treat another person screaming and yelling at them like that.

• I think they're actually put up on a pedestal. There's a romanticism about their culture. The movie dances with wolves was a huge hit for example.
    It's also a bit of apprehension to be racist to them because their land was basically stolen and turned into modern day USA

• No. Stop looking for oppression. If u have to look for it it isn't a big deal. stop trying to play the victim. No one ever says shit about indians. EXcept jokes which every race has. Rich girls *rolls eyes*

• Yes because they are different.
    They have a lot of stereotypes to pick on.

• it was in the uk but now people are too busy hating those from eastern Europe or the middle east

• Indians in general are unattractive.

• In America. We love Indians. Nice people.

• Not that I've ever seen.

• anything close to the middle east is looked at bad which is stupid
    but its how it works

Wow.

I didn't realize that. It's interesting because I would be considered a wealthy Indian. I think people treated me a certain way almost on a 'you're allowed to be equal to us but never ever better.'

As in if I was nice and polite that was reciprocated. If I was 100% right about a situation but it threatened someone else in a way I wasn't allowed to be correct.

okay let me ask again what is it?
      www.talkpundit.com/.../footprint-31.jpg

http://www.genesis6giants.com/imgs/gianttoes.jpg

2 Samuel 21:20
      And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant

or would you like something more recent

• I had a girlfriend and she told me that even the last guy on earth would be indian she would not have sex with him. I asked her why and she told me that they are dirty, smell, liers and pussy boys

• Depends where you live I guess.

What Girls Said 7

• aren't Indians more racist towards fellow indians?

• How can it be prevalent if you've never realised it until recently lol

• I agree. It's quite sad that all society and the media seem to be concerned about is the racism against blacks, especially in the states. Yet nobody talks about the discrimination against indians, even though it's equally prevalent in my opinion.

Wow.

Thank you so much for pointing that out. I didn't realize it myself but it IS prevalent almost as much as it is towards black people. I think the difference however is that it is subtle.

I never understood the stigma against black people. I don't notice when someone is black. They're just a person, just like I'm a person and just like we're all people. It's so sad that all these racist attitudes exist even today.

• Racism is prevalent to all types of people. Not jus Indians

• Nope, not at all.

• Indian men are the lest desirable it is true

• Yes. Very much so