When was the last time your car broke down and what did you do?

Where did it happen and how long did it take to fix it/ for help to arrive?

I go stranded on a highway yesterday, 60 or so kilometres outside the city. Luckily it only took about 2 hours for someone to arrive.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• About... 2 months ago.
    I was going out on a 3AM drive. Cruising along the usual hotspots.
    Going up hill at around 150 , climbing a 20% gradient. With the throttle at max. I was going , I was going , 9,000rpm , 10,000rp, 11,000rpm and suddenly BAM. wheeirrrrrllll , suddenly a metallic clanking sound started coming from between my legs , clauk clauk cluak clauk.
    I lost almost all my power. I immediately pull to the side of the road after crawling up the hill.
    It was pitch-black , in the middle of a country park , no street-lights , no cars , no houses , nothing , slap bang in the middle of bear country , with the closest town almost 100km away. It was just me and my bike and the stars above.

I turned on the flashlight and start inspecting my engine. No visual damage. Whatever's gone wrong , it's deep within , sounds like a seized piston ring. Absolutely cannot be fixed on the road...

It would take a tow-truck at least 2 hours to get to where I am and in the middle of bear country with no streetlights. Standing alone on the side of the road I might as well as put up a sign that says FREE BEAR FOOD.

I tried restarting my engine... praise Zeus it worked! Barely... and so... I began my crawl back towards civilization but it's a one way road with a concrete barrier inbetween. To get back to civilization , the map shows me the next turn around is 50km away... and so... I crawled ahead... praying and begging for the engine not to die on me...

As I was heading back towards civilization , I saw some motorcyclist speed by... the Saturday night gang... not wanting to get in the way of the night ride , I pulled off to the sides and let them sped by... god... they looked so cool.

Anyway, I eventually made it back home and had it towed to the dealer to get the engine rebuilt. And all is well. Kinda. Minus a HUGE hole in my wallet.

At least you don't have a huge hole in your stomach where dem bears would have clawed at you. So you got that going for you, which is nice.

Thanks for the MHG

ur well cum

What Girls Said 3

• Awww so sorry that happened😞😞

Do accidents count?
    Well a speeding auto bumped straight into our car. It had huge bump + damaged tire. Had to wait for 30 minutes or so for tow truck to arrive.

• Hope your car is fixed! Or getting there at least dude. Last week Sunday. My batteries died and I had to get a new one.

• I don't even own a car

What Guys Said 8

• I think it was about a year and a half ago. I had a lower ball joint go out. For those who don't know, that's part of the suspension and steering that holds the front of the car up. I was driving around 40MPH when the front left of the car collapsed with sparks flying until I skidded to a halt. I couldn't move the car so I walked home and had the car towed.

I spent a couple weeks fixing it. It was a pretty big job and I only worked on it a little at a time. I probably should replace the other side since they tend to go out within a short time of each other.

Before that I had some electrical problems that got me stranded at least three times. It took forever to figure out what the problem was, but I finally got it fixed.

Are there any speciffic reasons it happens?

It's a mechanical part that both carries a lot of weight, and rotates when you steer the car. It gets a lot of abuse and just wears out over time. There are a couple of things that can make it wear out faster, neither was the case with mine.

Some require grease to be added regularly. That's mostly older ones, but some newer cars still require that. Sometimes it gets done during a routine oil change and "lube job". If it's not done it causes more friction and heat, which cause the parts to wear out faster.

The other thing that can happen is some ball joints have a rubber boot which protects it from outside elements. If the rubber boot tears, it can let in water and road debris. This also causes it to wear faster. Well very fast actually - a torn boot is not something to neglect.

Lower ball joints will normally need to be replaced at least once during the life of the car. Upper ball joints tend to last considerably longer and may never need to be replaced.

Thanks for the heads up, man.

• Last time I had anything break was the brake light actuator failed on my girlfriend's car, meaning it wouldn't pop back to the correct position when the pedal was pressed, so no brake lights. Made our way to auto parts store and I fitted a new one in the parking lot, fixed.

Last time a car actually broke down was when I got back to the airport hotel from a week away. Battery was on its last legs and all that time unused meant it wouldn't start the car. Called roadside assistance, he jumped me so I could get home. My battery tester/charger wasn't able to resurrect it so had to buy a new battery.

• That's the advantage of a small country like Belgium, you're never far away from help.
    Generally when you call for help, it takes about 1 hours.
    The last time was when both of my headlights failed at night.
    Both light bubs were burnt through, probably a power surge.
    After about 1 hours help arrived and 20 min later I was back on the road :D

You're lucky in Belgium that all your motorways are fully lit!

@meatballs21 true, and the distances are so much smaller!
      In Belgium few towns or villages are less than 5 km (3 mi) from another village :D
      So help can generally come from close by after you've called a central phone number for assistance.

• I walked out of work a little over 2 years ago and when I turned on my engine it stalled. I tried again and it kept stalling so I said fuck it, took off my dress shirt and tie, and popped the hood. I check all the basic shit in a few minutes and all seemed fine... I ended up trouble shooting the electric system in the parking lot and got it working within about 15-20 minutes and then drove home.

• it happened on I-95 so one of hte biggest and busiest road in america. i was driving to a phillies game at rush hour. suddenly a light started flashing saying pull to the side of the road as my engine shut off.

turns out there was a recall on a faulty cooling system. so the fixed it for free.

• Once my car's alternator failed and the car shut off on the highway.

My dad came gave me his car, I drove home and he waited for the tow truck.

I had it similar in that I went home in a cab while my dad waited for the tow truck.

• I've never broken down. I've gotten a flat tire before, but that was no big deal.

• My car broke too many times. The last time I was pissed, so I sold it. Then I walked to work for a couple years and saved up to buy a new one that is dependable.