Is it okay to call a 19 year old sweetie?

Hey guys, I'm 19 and the other day, I was at an art gallery with my college and one of the receptionist at the gallery called me sweetie in front of everyone in a patronising way. I do look rather young for my age though. It made me feel like a child because I thought sweetie is what you say to a kid. What I want to know is can a 19 year old be called sweetie or is it a term just for children? Or maybe she called me sweetie because she thought I was younger. Any opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's fine. I don't let things like that bother me unless they're saying it to intentionally insult me.

Also some people call everyone sweetie or something like that

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all! You can use sweetie with anyone of any age in my opinion. Just the other day my grandma (67) was talking about one of her friends and said that she's a sweetie. The person was probably just trying to be polite and a bit personal. That's what businesses do. She didn't mean to disturb you in any way, she was just trying to be polite to you. You should also take into account that maybe in her background her parents have used that term a lot of something and so to her it might be a compliment but to you it might've seemed odd that she said that.

What Guys Said 10

• Big deal. She certainly could've called you worse

• It's fine sweetie :)

• You're making a big deal out of nothing

• I think it is okay - She was probably a lot older than you - I doubt anyone else noticed apart from you because you feel self conscious about looking young.

• I get called sweetie or hun aaaaalll the time and I'm 29

• A 37 year old woman called me daddy. I didn't even know her. I don't think sweetie is a big deal

• You're overthinking it.

• What's so bad about that?

• How old is she? You should bang her hahahah😂 well my teacher called me that when I was a foreign exchange student in America

• at 19 you are a sweety. get over it... .

What Girls Said 5

• I know more girly-girl types who call literally everyone sweetie. I never thought anything of it.

• It depends on who says it and how. Honestly, I may not like when a woman does it, but I absolutely HATE having a guy call me sweetie. Like I just want to punch them in the nut suck. Just wait until you get to be in your 20's like me and a man does it. So annoying.

• Parts of the UK women get called sweetie, it's like being called love, bab, pet or hun. She is most likely not from the area.

• sweetie don t make a big deal out of it

• ı think it is normal