My dogs are being eaten alive by flees and nothing I have tried is working?

I had the same dog for years and I've never had an issue like this. During the summer I brought a new dog into my house and now it's infested with fleas. I've tried everything including frontline, off the shelf sprays and even homemade remedies and nothing has worked. I give her baths once every week and within an hour the fleas are back. I feel so bad for her because all she does is sit around and gnaw at her coat. She's covered in scabs and there are areas of her skin that are raw from her chewing at it. You go to pet her and you can literally see the fleas hopping in and out of her fur. It's disgusting. As I've said I've tried everything and I'm just not sure what to do. Help?

Most Helpful Guy

• Shave the dog completely bald. And fumigate your house. The fleas are all over your carpet and couch and everywhere else that dog has been, so of course the fleas "keep coming back." Declare war. Chemical, biological, even nuclear. Whatever it takes. Change your attitude from, "What's the least I can do," to "What's the MOST I can do?"

Most Helpful Girl

• Time to take Yourself and the Doggies Out of this Dog House, @AnonB17... Take them to See a Vet.
    If you don't, your own Home, for now it is getting Colder, will be All over the house and Furniture, and even on You.
    They Need "Revolution" which is some sort of Magic Liquid for Fleas, Ticks, Mites and Anything that Bites. My parents Use this on Their cat, and they Make it for Dogs as well.
    Good luck and call Tomorrow. This will NOT get better. xx

What Guys Said 10

• Frontline works for shit. I used to have my dog on it when I first got him. The ticks would still attached to him. I use advantix now I haven't found a tick on him in years. My brother in law uses the generic one at WalMart and swears by it.

• Yeah, time to see the vet on this one.

• Have you tried K9 Advantix II i had a Cocker-Spaniel this is the only thing helped her.

www.drsfostersmith.com/.../prod_display.cfm

www.drsfostersmith.com/.../...557_73634K_001_1.jpg

• There is a medicine you can get from the Vet. It's cost about 20 a month, and it comes in a pill or a gel you apply to the skin monthly. It kills all fleas, ticks, protects against heart worms, and stomach worms.

Talk to you vet and they will hook you up. It works really well. Will take some time to get all the fleas out of your carpet. I hope you get it and help your dogs. So worth it.

• Have you been to a vet - They might have access to stronger ointments/lotions

• have you asked a vet what you should do? try getting some bug killing fogger and fog your house, then give your dog a good flea bath, some front line and a flea collar. see if that helps

I'm going to try this, hey OP did you find a solution? I am strugling as well with this flea infestation, it's horrible. I have tried everything.

• Consult your dog's veterinarian.

• Shave her

• DEET maby if you can still get it anywhere

• do you have carpet?

What Girls Said 9

• Wash them with dishwasher detergent, then put her outside (!) to dry and while she's drying clean out your entire house with either steam or extremely carefully applied "hygiene spray" - take all the textiles that your dog usually lies on out and machine wash the ones you can. Make sure you especially clean carpets & other furniture made out of fabric properly - best with steam!

You have to be extremely careful with fleas and just spraying a bit of hygiene spray around or washing your dog with regular dog shampoo won't do the job.

• Bomb your house with a flea bomb, clean the carpets, clean the dog beds, clean the collar (people always forget those), and if after trying everything they're still there, take her to the vet.

There's one solution that i heard about when I had a cat, it's this flour stuff made from bones, that's supposed to help.

Also, one remedy that's good for nits, I don't know if it'd help fleas or even if it might damage a dogs skin, so research this one, but vinegar, supposedly helps.

• I had this problem a few years ago, we went through so many treatments and baths it was terrible. Comfortis worked amazingly well for us, and I fumigated the house the next day. Once i could see it was working on my girl I threw out her bedding and got new ones just in case and we've been good ever since

I've heard that comfortis is toxic for dogs. Is that true? How long has your dog been on comfortis, i'm looking for a flea prevention for my yorkie but i'm scared to try it because of the bad reviews that i've read online.

@veronica17 mine have been on it for three years now. We tried to go back to frontline but one of mine has really sensitive skin and she broke out in hives again. As long as they have a decent meal with the tablet they've never had any problems with it, but all flea treatment is poison unless you want to use peppermint oil or teatree

I have heard that the fleas have become immune to frontline. True and ok thank you!!

• Have you tried taking her to the vet? They could do a skin swap and give you medications specific to her parasites and also allergies (which I'm assuming might also be the problem)
    Also, trifexis is better. You can only get that at the vet's office.

• Take her to the vet. Duh

• I'd get advice from a vet, but I second the shave her opinion. It might help get rid if them if the fleas have no where to hide

• For a flea infestation you can't just focus on the dogs, you have treat all the furiture, carpets, blankets, and even your clothes. Its annoying but they hide anywhere

• dawn dish soap just watch videos on youtube how those fucker die when the soap touches them.

• same thing is happening in my house And my dog scratches and bites.. now I sprayed the yard did baths once a week vaccumed twice a day washed blankets like once a week and started losing my mind. because they're in the house and I don't even know if these bombs I bought will work what product do we use to kill them inside the home is the better question my dog is miserable too :(

I also have kids and I don't want them getting bite up but they haven't yet. thank god.

room your dog likes to stay in more than others leave the powder on the floor longer. I have kids and a baby that crawls so I only did a few hours and left the house. but in the bedroom the dog stays in I kept the powder on the floor over night the longer the better but don't let your dog in the room until its vaccumed. and vaccum the couches too and rewash all clothes and blankets etc.

its a lot of work but its basically basically like having lice for humans. gotta do it.