Have you ever done things as a teenager to 'fit in' or 'be cool'?

You were doing things because your friends thought it was cool or funny but you're not acting like yourself

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. Having all the latest stuff (in terms of technology) not to be cool but to fit in. It started in high school when the first generations of the "iPod touch" came out. I begged my mum to buy me won and she did. Anyways by the time I got it, they already had the newer versions coming out.. To which I was like why even bother? I'm not trying to impress anyone. So it's whatever to me now.

Although I would like to have all the latest protective gear when it comes to motorbikes lol (expensive hobby) no point really. It's not about image. It's about the riding which matters more to me. In the end it's not really what matters to other people but to me instead. Which I've gotten to understand growing up

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, there were certainly instances where I stood back laughed at people getting bullied instead of stopping it. I was a dick in school, but I didn't condone people getting physically hurt.

What Girls Said 39

• Not necessarily but I get what you mean. I never really did things to be cool but I have done things due to peer pressure. Surprisingly it started happening in my late teens vs in my early teens. I was straight edge throughout high school. Everyone was smoking weed and getting drunk. I had no interest in it and frankly I didn't give a fuck about what everyone else was doing. Then when I turned 18 and 19 everything started falling apart. My family life started crumbling and my ex completely destroyed my heart. I had lost most of my friends and the only ones that were left, were heavy into partying and all that shit. I didn't wanna be the only kid in the group who wasn't getting fucked up so I joined in. My older brother introduced me to weed when I was 18 and I started drinking and smoking to cope with my family issues. So it wasn't the "cool" factor that pulled me in, but I was definitely influenced by the fact that all my friends were pot heads and borderline alcoholics.

• Yeah... I've actually done that recently... I'm not a grotesque, obnoxious person, and I've behaved like I was... and I offended some friends doing that.

I'm not a jaded person... I choose to remain soft, despite my experiences... Cynicism and wisdom are not the same thing... I've been afraid of appearing innocent, but the fact that I somehow stay innocent despite my circumstances proves that I am a stronger person than I thought... I still hold fast to hope of something better.

I still possess some jadedness... I just don't show more than I actually feel for the sake of looking tough...

• Believe it or not, no. But I used to use the excuse that I was to get out of trouble by claiming peer pressure and to get my parents to let me go to parties and stuff.

• My mom always told me that I would be cool If I acted as I wanted, If I didn't follow anyone but my own rules. She taught me that I needed to be distinguished instead of 'fitting in' with others.
    She wanted me not to be afraid of being different and...
    All my childhood and teen years I tried to be myself.

I can say that I had a great time in high school, really great time. I always felt like a movie star, and you know what I guessed? You will never feel like a movie star if you try to 'fit in' instead of making others want to be like you.

• Just being myself, I was Merely just Friendly and Outgoing, I didn't Pick and Choose. I was Friends with Everyone, @Toad-1
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

• I was always stand-offish in high school and all throughout my life but I did kind of go through an emo phase. Where I listened to really depressing music and would tease my hair and sometimes wear dark makeup around my eyes. I didn't think I was trying to be cool or to fit in I just liked that style back then.

• Maybe once or twice on big things. I'm sure I did little random stuff just because my friends were doing it quite often. We are social primates.

• started smoking in the 90s. my older sis would buy cigs for my friends and I. everyone thought My sis and I were so cool
    biggest mistake of my life. 20 years later and still smoking

• Not particularly.

• I dyed my hair purple, started listening to metal, and became more open about my dark humor and perverted nature. All three have stuck, and all three have helped me boost my self esteem up a bit.

But are you being yourself or being fake trying to impress people?

I'm being myself. I've been bullied a lot (by both children and the adults in my life), so my self esteem used to be horrible. I didn't even take photos of myself, and if someone got a surprise photo of me I'd cry. Because of this, I made myself become a bland person. By 13, I had stopped talking to anyone at school except teachers, dyed my hair a dull brown, listened to the music everyone else at school did (It was Tennessee, so country music), and dressed myself down enough to not be noticed, but well enough so that no one would comment on me looking raggedy.
      I found a new group of friends in a new school, and they all listened to metal and had colorful hair. I listened to music with them and found a ton of songs that I started to sing along to and had no idea how I knew the lyrics. Turned out that my uncle and ex step dad had both listened to metal while I was a kid, and I liked it. I took a risk and dyed my hair purple, and I feel much prettier. The compliments it gets me help.

And the perverted thing just happened as a result of the improved confidence. I feel more comfortable with myself, and my perverted nature is allowed to be shown instead of packed away

• I tried to, but most times I either couldn't afford to fit it, or it seemed dumb to me.

• Nope.
    Probably why I didn't 'fit in' or wasn't 'cool'...

• hmmmm i don't remember

• I had sex with someone way older than me for "brownie points"
    Everyone thought he was hella cute and he wanted to fuck for a long time so 😒
    So horrible

• nope.

• I smoked and called myself out of school. Then I slept in a hotel overnight with my boyfriend. Managed to get caught though😑

• No, I had the punk ethos before I really got into the whole scene. Now that I'm into the scene I still don't care, and people are assholes about it but oh well.

• Yeah then I realized they didn't like me anyways. So I started being me anyways

I should probably elaborate. I was a weird teenager. I loved blood and gore. I also wasn't easily scared. If someone tried to scare me, I would look at them and ask them what the hell they're doing.

@helloitsmethere you can look up surgeries on YouTube? That sounds so cool! New guilty pleasure

Hell yeah! There is heart surgery, gastric bypass surgery, liver surgery, kidney transplants etc.
      Youtube has everything!

• Nah, I don't tend to conform to what other stupid teenagers are doing.

• Not really actually. I moved so much that I had to get real comfortable just being myself and being by myself.

• As a ten year old child I started cursing like a motherfucking sailor.
    Because there was this new guy who was cursing a lot and if you didn't curse you were not cool.
    Ugh...10-12 year olds amirite?

• Nah, if I did something it was because I thought it was cool. The whole "harlem shake" bullshit was so uncool I talked to shit about it to everyone even if it was popular.

• Actually no... lol I'm pretty stubborn so I tend to do the opposite of what other people do.

• Hell naw, screw what people think man.

• I think I skipped class once to feel cool and I regretted it.
    Never again

• I might have a few times

• Nope. I more or less did whatever I wanted.

• Hm not really no...

• Well of course. In high school. Like most every other dumb ass 🙋

• nope. i already could tell highschool friendships wouldn't last that long. plus all my friends were back at my old school

• More from Girls
    9

What Guys Said 34

• No. I was pretty good at doing stupid shit all on my own. I never felt any pressure to do it. I never felt like I needed to do things to fit in or be cool. I did it because I wanted to. I always hear about peer pressure, but I never experienced anything like that. I don't recall other people being pressured either.

• i tended to try and dress similar to my friends. i guess it was to fit in or because i thought the styles were cool

• Yeah, I mean, I think we all do, knowingly or unknowingly. I like to think most stuff I did or didn't do was because I wanted to though👍

• I once tried to draw graffiti just to fit in but then realized that it's just not for me so I stopped. Thank the Gods I haven't tried smoking just to fit in.

• Nope, never, it was always like... me versus the rest of the class :P

• I tried it when I was in the 5. th, 6. th and 7. th grade. It was pointless.
    Then from 8. th to 11. th grade I acted more myself after each year.
    It's also the reason why I didn't fit in or am cool.
    Because I am cool.
    Because I am myself.
    Because I didn't give in.
    Because I didn't smoke and use bad words as my primary vocabulary.
    Because I am a professional.

Because I am me.
    People can accept me or deny me. It's their choice.

• No. I have always been an independant thinker.
    Seeking to fit in, or be cool, shows intellectual weakness.

• I guess I have. But nothing serious and nothing I actually didn't want to do.

It helped that I hanged out with other geeks like me, so we never did anything too crazy. 😊

• No I just looked at them and thought like "Hm, that actually looks kind of stupid"

• Being there, done that - Hundreds of times - C'mon who hasn't?

• I dont think so my highschool was surprisingly cool there really were no scocial classes
    For the most part the jocks hungout with the nerds and the latinos and preppy kids and so on and so on and everyone was pretty accepting of one another
    We must have been unique

• A few times in middle school then I gave up after I would keep on getting trouble I realized how stupid it was. I would used to hang out with the skater kids or just the drug kids. Then in high school I just went back to being a lonewolf..

• I tried to be the wacky "nerd" guy in secondary school. Then I realised how irritating that whole lel im so nerdy ocarina of time haha subculture is.
    I don't actually like Zelda by the way. I'd shag Midna though.

• All the time. The reason I started smoking weed is because I was 15 and all the cool people in my grade were doing it and I thought maybe if I smoked it too I would have something in common with them, and then they would start to like me.

• Everyone has

• Nope I didn't have to do anything to be considered either of those things.

• I got drunk a few times at 15 with my friends

• i didn´t fit in at all anyway xD so there was no point in even trying.

• Like those things you do to traumatize someone in order to be funny only to feel the guilt later in life wondering if they'll come back and find you to make you pay?

Nope.

• Not too often... I realized from a young age that everyone was going through shit. And it was whatever after a while i just said fuck it.

• well... yes at first... but now i dont give a shit.

• No, I was a loosed from Hell rogue. Surprised I didn't get taken out or locked up

• Nope, quite the opposite, actually. I always tried to separate myself from what I considered "normal".

• yeah i have

• Only FEMINISTS DO SHIT LIKE THAT

• Can't say that I have.

• No never I don't do that.

• no, i was the outcast nerd type of guy.

• In high school no, that's why I was friendless for a long time

• Yep, sure did.

• More from Guys
    4