If an American kid is born to white parents who were born in Africa, is that kid African American?

• Yes
    50% (9)36% (9)42% (18)Vote
  • No
    28% (5)44% (11)37% (16)Vote
  • My head just exploded
    22% (4)20% (5)21% (9)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1
5|10

Most Helpful Girl

• Caribbeans who have never stepped foot on any Africa soil in their life are called "African" American. How could anybody label a white African properly when they don't even actually know what African is or the difference between African and Caribbean. Being black doesn't make you African.

1|2
    0|0
    • 1mo

This is why I use the term "Afro-Caribbean" because it better covers where people's ancestors and culture came from.

• 1mo

@meatballs21 I think that sounds a lot better actually.

• 1mo

Lol I know. I mentioned this on one of the replies

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• There are white people in Africa. South Africa people are very white.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes he is

0|1
    0|0
  • No. This term is descriptive of indigenous Africans who are from the sub-Saharan region; black people only.

0|1
    0|1
  • No, was he from African descent? Did his parents ancestors live in Africa for thousands years? Then no.

0|1
    0|1
    • 1mo

They'd been Africans for a few generations. Descended most likely from British colonizers. African citizens.

• Show All
    • 1mo

^^^^^^

• 1mo

But the term could be adapted to this situation too.

What Guys Said 9

• African American relates to ethnicity.

The white kid with white parents born in Africa won't be an African American, because its parents aren't ethnic Africans.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

But by that logic, white Americans are not Americans

• 1mo

American is a nationality, not ethnicity, so everyone born in America is an American.

• American, since he was born in the US this is his nationality. If you consider ethnicity, you can't say that he's African either since his parents are white. You'd have to see where his parents came from.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

I mean, the ancestors of his parents

• Show All
    • 1mo

And I agree. There's an American nationality but not a white American race. All white people in America have bonds to their European ancestors, it can't be denied. People just consider themselves white American by race because those bonds are too old to be remembered. The same happens with the white people from Central and South America.

• 1mo

Pretty solid

• if a baby of indian parents is born in the uk he/she is British. i suspect you are 'american'

0|0
    0|1
  • Technically yes but the term African American is associated with Black Americans.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess that would make him white African American

0|1
    1|0
  • My head just exploded

0|1
    0|0
  • If he is born in America then he is just American.
    In order for someone to actually be African American they would need to have been born in Africa, then come to America. The term is consistently used incorrectly. There is a difference between nationality and ethnicity.

1|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

So would his parents be African Americans then when they brought him over and became American citizens?

• 1mo

Yes they would. Just like how the Black people that are born here are actually Americans, not African Americans. It denotes Nationality origin, then current National identity.

• 1mo

Cool

• Nice!

0|1
    0|0
  • Just African

0|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

But the kid was born in America

• Show All
    • 1mo

You're right some of them do just say black American because they really don't know them selves but if you're born here you are American

• 1mo

Ok good answer