Non-Americans, how do you guys feel about American Cars?

Think they are good cars? do they suck? what do you think?

• I'm not American and think American cars are good for the most part
  • I'm not American and think American cars suck
  • I'm not American and it depends on which American car company
  • I am American and like American cars
  • I am American and think American cars suck
  • I am American and it depends on which American car company
  • I have no opinion on American cars or just want to see results

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they're quite cool but they do seem slightly high maintenance. Plus most of you drive automatic cars which is a bit useless and you drive on the wrong side of the road which annoys me.

you are wrong about autos but big european cars are much better in auto/tiptronic than the little euroboxes i bet you are thinking of. like in a punto an auto box is really bad

Most Helpful Guy

• Theyre cool overall. interior sucks tho. The American cars I tend to like are the SUV's and muscle cars like mustang. 1969 mustang is badass
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../1969_Ford_Mustang.jpg

glorious

what always amazed me tho was how little power they get out of such huge engines. my mates 67 charges could only do a 20s quarter mile while little old 33 horse bugs were 18s

What Girls Said 15

• You don't really get Chevrolets here. Ford is fairly popular and they're ok and well what else is there?
    And they're not really American, they're made for european markets, as there are very few automatic models
    I think a lot of people prefer domestic (german) cars though

loads of chevvies in uk and Ireland, thousands of them infact but they are rebadged diawoos and not the camaro type thing you imagine.

@wankiam well I suppose thousands is not a lot among millions.
      I have no idea what a camaro looks like, but I'm looking to buy a car at the moment and chevy is not a brand you see a lot. Neither at sellers nor on the street.

honestly there's loads of them like i said but not recognisable as they look like any other euro box or generic jap crap. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/chevrolet thankfully they have stopped selling new ones in Europe but still loads of second hand ones around

• I am not specifically familiar with any (that I know are American) besides the Jeep - which is my favorite style and quality of cars...
    So I say - awesome - if it's to only go by the Jeep brand.

• I have no idea about cars :P

If you could drive and had the opportunity to buy a car, would an American car be your first choice? :P

Dude, gotta be honest the only car that I could have told you was American is a Chevy so I probably would have just gone to a dealer and my first choice would be the cheapest car :P

• Option C 😁 Haha most of the time I bet it feels like driving a tank on the road 😐😅

• My father used to own a Chevrolet when I was a kid. But now he's into British cars :p

• We have a Chevy and it's good☺

• Not a fan.
    I prefer German cars.

• I prefer Japanese cars.

• I have a Nissan... best car ever.

• not interested

• It depends on the car.

• I'm American and the cars suck

• I think they're too extravagant. Who needs a car with a hood longer than my own body?

• i'm not American, but i loooooove cadillac

• I like Chevrolet. I think American cars are all just huge, it seems so anyway. Ford's are well liked in my country, loads of people have them, especially for first cars. Loads of single kid, single parent families have them too. They're reliable I think.

And why are there never number plates on cars?

number plates on cars? There are VIN #'s (vehicle identification numbers) marked in a lot of places on the cars. License plates? You must get one from the state the car is registered in.

@THE_Godfather licence plates I think. The plates on the front and back of cars. On TV, they never ever have plates on.

They do in the US. Each state (where you live) issues the plates, for a fee of course.
      Arizona is the only state that I know of that only has a black plate.
      TV may not show a plate because it may be someones actual #.

What Guys Said 21

• Owned and driven many cars from several companies. Owned mostly GM cars but also Toyota, and Nissan. Driven multiple vehicles from Ford and Chrysler/Dodge (especially when i was in the military).

That last cars I drove from Chrysler were rentals because my car was in the shop - for a couple weeks. I'll never own one of those cars - ever. To me, they may look nice, seem to be OK on paper, but in reality they're poorly made. The wires that ran from the engine compartment to the door were not covered. Panels that should be fully painted, only had an undercoating of primer. The driver seat to steering wheel position was offset by over an inch and a half (3.5-5cm). Rear window defogging was a problem with snow, and then aerodynamics never kept the snow off the back window. This wasn't a rental car situation, where if you chose different options on your personal car, would fix. These were engineering issues that should be resolved before they put the vehicle into production.

Right now I own a Toyota that was built in Indiana. If you call that an American car, then so be it. The engine was made in KY, so my Toyota is more "American", than my previous Pontiac was.

The Pontiac I owned was made in GA, the engine in Canada.

Nearly all American cars kick in a "self destruct sequence" around 125-140K miles. At that point, electric windows quit working, radiators need to be replaced, fuel pumps, alternators, radios, and even transmissions and power steering pumps. This is in addition to normal stuff that wears out on every car - filters, brakes, tires, and various fluid changes.

• F
    Here to report I've had quite a few and basically
    foreign vs American = totalled vs wears out fast

then consider whose economy you want to prosper, since you earn money in america (you then send it overseas? how does it come back to prosper you & other americans? remember who supported the world war efforts... the auto industries?)

Cars that treated me best: 99 Chevy (only replaced window motor twice, always get 3rd party batteries = minor exceptions), 90 + 94 Mazda

OK but the cheap parts wear out fast: 99 Mazda, 99 Ford, 01 Ford, 03 Ram

Worst - parts go bad, then Again? moneypits: 67 Pontiac

The Toyotas have unique stories of their own demise to serve as good excuses but I'll never do that again, untrustworthy... as well as their servicing departments.

• I guess it depends on how you define "American". Most US automakers farm out the production to other countries. Go look at a window sticker sometime.. engine made in Mexico, body panels made in the US, assembled in Canada.. etc.

On the flipside, there are a number of import brands (Subaru, Honda, Toyota) that build some cars in the US. So, one cannot look at a name alone to define where it is from.

• I don't know... I like the beauty of the classics... But then I hear that the engineering behind them isn't all that bright, and that the quality even of the newer vehicles doesn't compare to european.. dunno though.
    But a lot of them are really underpowered with massive engines...

• The Brazilian market is flooded with multinational car companies.

Chevrolet and Ford are quite popular here and so is Jeep after it got acquired by Fiat.

That said, most of the cars these companies sell here are stripped down versions of the vehicles they sell in America or in Europe. Or, even worse, they are "exclusive" projects designed for emerging markets like ours, India, and China. Which usually means they're crap.

So an American car made in America is a rare sight around these parts. 😉

• The fuel efficiency of most American cars is absolutely horrible. So I certainly wouldn't buy one myself. However, I have to admit I quite like Jeep in terms of style.

• I like that for the Ford image you have what appears to be a Fiesta, a Mondeo and a Kack - all European models.

When I lived in Europe, they alternatively sneered at American cars for being large, heavy, thirsty, inefficient and for having bad handling - while at the same time thinking they were cool.

• American cars are very popular around the world just judging by sales

• I don't drive but the impression I get is that gas is cheap in the US but not in Ireland this it is more cost effective to go for the more efficient German or Japanese models.

• I'm an American and our cars are total hit and miss. However the theme is any good stuff we make here is euro spec or it's something awesome but impractical. Our interiors are shit and we've failed to invest in small diesal tec. I could go on and on and on. If you want fun go American, if you want technical excellence look elsewhere

• I don't like their size and I HATE their fuel consumption.

• Love of my life- Mustang!!!

• Chevy Camaro and Ford F-150 Raptor, and I'm not American. Apart from those mentioned I'm in to BMW M5, 528i, 528i estate, Jaguar XF and Ferraris from Europe.

But I'm not rich to buy mentioned cars, so for personal usage I'd be in to Toyota Corolla which is Japanese.

• I don't like them. Of course, there are a couple of nices ones I would love to have too, but compared with most European or Japanese brands I don't like them as much.

• we have various American cars driving the roads here in Belgium but almost no muscle cars, they are a rarity.

Are they considered good cars be you guys?

yeah they are very good cars. we have mostly fords here and also dodge.

• look ok but build quality, materials used, handling and top speeds are shocking when your used to big audis and mercs

• Don't know, some of them consume a lot of gas, so for me it's a bad thing.

I mostly just care about safety and energy cost.

• I love classic American muscle cars...

• it depends on the company. i really love ford mustang classic

• No round headlights. 0/10.

• American cars are failure
    Popular cars in us are japanese
    Generally best cars are European