Could you hack into someone's computer if you wanted to?

Alright people be honest... it's an anonymous poll. I'm trying to figure out just how creepy the people on gag are

• Yes it's easy but I've never done it
  • Yes it's easy and I've done it
  • Yes but it's pretty hard and a waste of my time
  • No I've never done it but thought about it
  • No I didn't even know that was possible
1mo to those that have done it.. have you done it to someone on GAG?

Most Helpful Guy

• In my limited understanding, no one can "hack" your computer without having you click on a link or download something with a virus on it. Trojan horse is the only thing capable of really hijacking a computer, and for that to work, you have to download the trojan horse

Hacking a website is different. If they can hack a website, then they can access everyone's information *on that website* (but not their personal computers) including passwords and such. So, never never never use the same passwords. Especially not same passwords you use for important things like bank accounts. Huge no-no. Single biggest fuck up.

As long as you don't follow links (copy and paste, dont click hyperlinks) or download anything from others, hackers won't get access to your computer or files. I think they can attack open ports to gain access, but that requires them to have your IP address. And I don't think you can access someones IP on websites. But they can with instant messengers, if you click a link or view a photo on a 3rd party website.

Use a VPN. Which everyone should already be doing to prevent--or make it a pain in the ass for-- dragnet surveillance and probably hackers, too. Private Internet Access is the best one.

Script kiddies might be able to DDOS, but they--most people---can't do anything serious without a good understanding of programming. Which entails a lot.

Just don't click on links or download shit from people you don't know, and you will be perfectly safe. Unless your computer is already a zombie.

I'm pretty ignorant about computers, though. But, this is my understanding.

I highly, highly doubt a blackhat would spend their time on GAG. They got more important things to do, like making bank.

Websites don't know your password unless they are really badly made, so if someone hacks a website they can't get your password

@JusttMe Nununu, hashing is cryptography: a type of encryption. All it is is a stronger encryption that takes longer to brute force. A hash is a password; just encrypted. The fact that it can't be reverse engineered doesn't mean its not encryption, only that it's better encryption. Well, we're just arguing semantics now... Either way.

Finding the hash isn't useless at all. It's like finding a bunch of locked chests, with locks of vsrious strength. Eventually, you can crack them all open. *Nothing* in computer security is 100% secure. It's just a matter of *how long* and *how much computer power* required to crack it. It happens all the time. The issue with hashing is that its dependent upon having a *good password*. If your pass is "password" or "dog" or something, it wll be cracked fast.

"encryption is the process of encoding messages or information in such a way that only authorized parties can read it", with a hash function nobody can read it which is why I don't think it counts as being encrypted. But yeah it's just semantics. But I certainly wouldn't say "hashing is cryptography" since it's main use is finding data with O (1) complexity

But you have the locked chests anyway, if someone doesn't have a good password like "password" or "dog" you can break it easily anyway without knowing the hash. Knowing the hash doesn't help a lot, though you can brute force it on your computer even if the site only allows a few tries per time period (provided you know the hash function they use), but most sites let you try as many times as you like anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• If the computer is badly protected, piece of cake on a public WiFi. So see that you have a good firewall and then you are safe in almost all cases.

What Guys Said 29

• The only ones that really have the means are the criminals hackers, and usually they are paid to do it. And then there are the government agencies that have the resources and means to hack into somebody's computer since they are capable of electronic surveillance if they really wanted to, but that's what they use to fight terrorism, and possibly used to hunt fugitives from the law.

• If I have physical access to the computer, I know the basic old trick to remove a windows or linux password... and then just look for stored passwords, cookies on a browser... not much...

Without physical access... not really, no. In the old days, it was easy with trojans, but now that thing yields warnings all over the place. lol

Besides that, I can sniff networks... which is pretty useless now that most websites use https (secure) .. well, not GaG :D

And some basic DNS spoofing, but it's hard to keep things seamless and all working together to redirect traffic and all that..

@darkenedscience I feel that word could be a nice name for a futuristic space weapon :p

@OrangeBoy Definitely!

• In a manner of speaking...

I cannot no!! But I have a Brian that can 😎.
    Only used when necessary though lol.

• It's possible but very hard. I'm kinda good with computers but I've never written viruses or hacked into networks and things like that. I wouldn't bother doing it. I got better things to do.

• if i had unlimited access to their physical hardware, i could get into it easily. over the internet it´s pretty much impossible. nowadays even basic security is so good that you would need them to foolishly install something in order for you to gain access.

true. So true, Unless you really know stuff into a lower level, we hit the wall pretty easily.

it's not really "hacking".. someone just figured out a password or something.. don't mix things up

@mikemx55 exactly. hacking somebody is wayyy more complicated than finding out someones password using social engineering techniques or just a good old guess xD

• No. I'm helpless with computers.

• It all depends on the person you are trying to hack. If they are really computer savvy, it'll be a hard job! They'll have their computers pretty well hack proof. If they're using Linux, even harder.

• I've thought about it. It may be pretty easy. a lot of stupid people still use their password as "Password" or some dumb combos like their name or something. Lol

• A recent survey said that almost 70% of people don't really care about their password security and use predictable things like "password" or "0123456789" or his/her initials with their birthday "Mb20041987". Also, regarding to wi-fi password, most people don't chage it and let the defalt one that's already programed.

• It's not easy as you see on movies :D Even if I could do hack into someones computer, I won't do it. I'm working in the industry and I learnt some ethics. I really had chance to look into others computers even without hacking. But I never did. It's just unethical, that's it.

• not a script kid! but I really think people should read about cracking before asking questions like these!

umm... well internet is filled with people claiming about hacking and phishing, but to be honest either way it's all keyloggers and. text system scripts they read of sites! When someone asks me can I hack a computer, it's an invalid question because of the lack of objective in that statement! And whenever I say that I can hack their next question is, "hack so and so" , "hack my girlfriends account", "hack my boyfriends account", hack facebook, hack gmail! Do I need to remotely control a computer? Do just need to open a computer without password? Does anyone give a proper objective? no! But would randomly ask "can you hack a computer?" Most of these stuff can be done by a 7 year old kid sipping kool-aid and eating cookies! there is a lot more do with networks, but people are just f-ing concerned about social networks!

so true

• As if I would say on a website that's watched be the world's government agencies.

Just record and MI6 I haven't got a Scrooby doo how to.

• It is easy if you know how. 🤓😎

• No, I wouldn't know how to and I wouldn't bother, it's so much work and for what? I've got tons of my own shit I need to sift through, sort and order without going through other people's haha

• I don't need to go anonymous, I would not have a clue.

• Not like over the internet, but I think I could hack into a computer of someone I know if I really wanted to, but I'm not fucked in the head and I have a life so I don't see a reason to do that.

• hacking wifi is not that hard if it has a standard password. but i dont know anything about hacking computers.

good luck brute forcing a 16 digits standard password if the router locks you out every few tries xD

@genericname85 give them a USB stick or something with it on and then once the key logger is on their pc you can see what they type. then you are in.

well i´d personally still notice, if you gave me a usb stick with a key logger on it xD

• The best i can is google "how to hack a computer", since i don't have no idea.

@mikemx55 Then they have all those addictive games... fb was smart.
      I wonder what will defeat it...

and I never even play them lool

• never tried it, and i dont know anything about hacking

• I could do it. A lot of people hire hackers from the deep web though.

• What do you think?

If I was to go after GaG's server it wouldn't be for the purpose taking over someone's account, getting their IP address, or email address... That would be pointless. There is no payoff in doing that...

what got root and don't know what you should do? :p

? I don't know what you mean

• C--I don't have this skill.

• Fuck no, I will never need that.

• Meh, I could, I guess. But it wouldn't be worth my time.

• No haha, maybe if it's my girlfriend that I love and too see that she is not cheating:)

• it's not worth the time and effort it would take

• I've done it before. But it was moderately difficult

• Depends on what I want, I know some basics, but i am not really that good.

• No it's pretty much impossible to actually hack into someone's computer without without physical access to their pc. Hacking someone's account on a website is easier but still really hard unless you can guess their password or the site has bad security.
    You generally don't need to worry too much so long as you have a decent password and you're not famous so there won't be too many people interested in trying anyway

What Girls Said 7

• Nope that's creepy. Plus there's no one worth hacking.

• Lol no but I know someone who is a real pro so he could do it for me 😈

• Nope.

• nope, but one of my friends can : D

• No. I can't even log in my own Facebook account properly, let alone hack someone.

• I'm not a geek, so nope

• Pfffft that is a piece of cake.