Why is depression so stigmatized in society?

Most Helpful Girl

• People fear what they don't understand. plus people like to believe everything is the person suffering it's fault. I mean look at how people treat the poor and rape victims. People seem to feel like if they can blame the person and look at what they did wrong they can blame something and use that as a security blanket thinking it won't happen to me because I do ____ ____ and ____.

People fear what they don't understand and that easily can turn into blame and hate.

True 💯 💞🍀💞

Most Helpful Guy

• Cause focus there attention on it. It's almost like lust. Most of the time if the person has no self control then there depression is self created. No one has trigger it. It's a thing that happen when they don't get what they want or need in deeper meaning.

What Girls Said 5

• People don't understand it. And when people can't understand something it becomes something to be feared of. Or stigmatized. Depression happens. It's a serious thing and needs to be brought to light more often. Is it bad? Nope. It needs more awareness it's nothing to be scared of.

• I've noticed a lot of younger people claiming to have depression, but they have misdiagnosed themselves. Misinformation about depression (applies to any disorder or disease really) is what causes stigmatization.

• because no one actually understand what it is

Depression my dear child is the only truth. It's the understanding of how meaningless reality is. Society wants you to forget that truth. They want you to pop pills so you stay in la la land to become another perfect drone of society.

• Cuz of politics. Cuz of being robots. Cuz of working but can't earning. Cuz of disrespect. Cuz of sociological facts. Cuz of living away from the nature. blablabla.

• People are stupid that's why

What Guys Said 5

• I think it is getting better - I feel people are becoming more sensitive to it

• Cause people treat depression as that individual being mentally weak, and these people often get told to "toughen up". But in reality it is much much more than that. Its real, and it can be a traumatic experience depending on the level of depression and how it hits the individual. This turns into misunderstanding from those outside parties to the depressed individual, which turns into assumptions and false pretenses.

• Mental health issues can't be seen like physical injuries, so the ignorant say it's all in your head, and you just need to stop thinking like that.

• Because it is a stigma. A stigma is a social problem and depression is a social problem, this means that depression is a stigma. But that doesn't mean it has to be taboo. You can easily find help for being depressed, its not that difficult.

• Because society doesn't understand depression. Neither does neuroscience. No one does really.