Gagers.. which of these potential realities about the Universe is more creepy to you?

Reality 1: Life on earth is the only life in the whole universe, and so if anything detrimental ever happened to us or earth, the universe would be void of all life. The signals we're sending out to the cosmos today will never be heard by any one or any thing. We are truly alone, and we're simply an unintended accident in a universe built to never sustain intelligent life (or any life for that matter) again after our passing. The Universe is dead, and eventually, mankind will be too.

Reality 2: The universe, including our galaxy, is very populated with intelligent life, but the reason why we haven't found/come into contact with that intelligent life in our galaxy is because they are smart enough to remain quiet to avoid detection by a singular supreme intelligent species which views other intelligent life the same way we view cancer. If they found us, they would deal with us as Europeans dealt with native Americans when first discovering North America. Unlike earth, which is constantly broadcasting blindly into the cosmos today, other intelligent life have seen the threat and choose to stay silent

• Reality 1 is more creepy
  • Reality 2 is more creepy

Most Helpful Girl

• Reality 2 is way more creepy because it means there's a hidden threat and that at any moment something could instantly destroy the Earth.

I'm ok with reality one because in the end, billions of creatures got their time under the sun. Everything must die (at least on this planet) I regret the life of pain and misery many beings felt during their short lives. But I don't think the big picture in reality 1 is as bad as it could be. And stepping outside the parameters of this question, I do think there is life on other planets.

Most Helpful Guy

• Reality 2 is more creepy in my opinion.

1.) In regards to reality 1, does it really matter that we are alone? If we were to never find any other extraterrestrial life in our lifetimes, would our personal lives be affected? Sure, phrasing it in such a way as per the description makes it sound bleak, but I think it'd be just fine if Earth was alone. We have each other, so how alone are we really? Mankind has operated just find under the notion that we are alone (in that we haven't found any other intelligent life)

2.) Reality 2, on the other hand, has an all powerful threat looming over us. I find the idea of potential eradication/extermination of mankind more scary than being alone in the universe. It would mean that all it takes is one alien race to snap and boom-- there goes Earth as we know it.

3.) Likewise, going back to reality 1, how much of Earth dying (let's say, 200 years from now) would affect me on a personal level? If World War VII broke out and giganuclear bombs eradicated all life, I'd have been dead for 120 years+ by then. Plus, we are almost certain to die out eventually in some fashion. Disease, war, the sun dying, whatever... it's bound to happen.
    However, the risk of us killing ourselves would naturally be less than the risk of us killing ourselves + the risk of alien extermination.

What Girls Said 10

• The idea of us being the only life forms in the universe is depressing, because honestly... we're not that great... We've done some truly incredible things, but I don't know if I have ever seen any acts of love greater than the acts of hatred committed... human trafficking being a considerably smaller one.

The idea of there being something Greater, Wiser, Stronger than us is what gives me hope that life isn't totally void...

• Reality 2 because reality one is just completely unrealistic - and of course the universe is finite and the moment all stars will have died, all life in the universe will die, too. It will just be cold, dark space and it is gonna happen but its still very far away.

lol this topic reminds me of the famous quote by Arthur C. Clarke:

“Two possibilities exist:

either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.

Both are equally terrifying.”

xD

@dissolute_dog I completely loved it, probably mostly because I studied wormholes before so I knew this was actually theoretically possible to really happen, thus it wasn't "stoner" for me but it did go straight to the edge of my imagination and just left me in awe! Everything seemed just totally crazy & spaced off but at the same time it wasn't even unrealistic.

lol I didn't have a problem with the concepts; I also found them cool ever since I was little, so that was one of my initial attractions to the project, actually. :) It also had an extra appeal for me because part of the movie was also meant to address the current pessimism over NASA and over the future of America's contribution to space travel. The first teaser suggested this aspect the most, even. :)

What I actually found "stoner" was Nolan's presentation of some of the mind-bending concepts, rather than the concepts themselves. Like the "tesseract" scene being like a library with shelves looking into his life's moments. xD I get what the filmmakers were going for, but that didn't work for me at all haha.

But again, when it comes to trippy stuff with twist endings, it's a matter of what style of trippy and twist we personally like, haha. I'm more of a "Twilight Zone" kind of guy. xD

• First one. I love the concept of that, humans achieve the level of advancement to colonise the stars- and there's nothing out there. No life, no reason, we are merely an anomaly in the entirety of the universe. Alone without a god or any purpose. It's really depressing.

The latter at least has potential to meet others who aren't trying to kill us and to explore and learn more. Its not just us alone in the vastness of space.

• Yeah being alone is scarier. even if life is hostile, they can't even reach us were too far away. I don't think in my honest opinion space travel to star systems is possible.

• I think the first example is more scary, but I'm pretty sure we're not alone in the universe.

• The first is scarier

• ... Just had an existential crisis... Yikes...

• I see God as an extra terrestrial so the first would mean there is no God. That would make it worse.

• Reality 2 hopefully this doesn't exist

• I see our convo sparked off a question for u to ask here ⭐️🌙☄️✨🌞

What Guys Said 15

• Reality 1 --- being alone in the universe --- is more creepy. It's hard to explain why, but just thinking about it makes you feel a little cold, haha.

On the other hand, the only thing to fear about Reality 2 is that there might be an alien race out there that is more powerful than we are, WHILE treating us the same way that we view and treat "lesser life forms"... like livestock, or insects, or even microscopic germs that get washed away with soap. :o But those aliens could easily be outdone themselves by a more advanced race. Unless you believe in a race of aliens as "gods", there would be no such thing as a "supreme alien" that beats everybody and everything, everywhere. xD

Besides, if aliens exist, that also means there is a possibility of benevolent and helpful aliens, or just aliens living a basic life trying to survive (like the many types of animals, plants, etc. on Earth). If alien life exists, there are countless possibilities for what they could be like, and most of them probably won't be too scary, if we think about it logically.

• Probably scenario 2 but with the hope that they are so smart that they don't wish to interfere with our timeline or development

• I said reality 2 only because I pictured the reapers coming in and wiping us out. I'm a big mass effect fan lol. Besides smallpox is what really wiped the native americans out, they were just kicked and backstabbed while they were down by the us govt.

• definitly having many potential threats out there
    We are however apparently in the the oldest 10% of habitable planets but i suspect where not the first intelligent life the ones who are the first haven't had very long enough to expand in terms of light years mabey growth rates slow down a lot as pepole become immortal and just become indifferent to the idea of having kids?

• Reality 1 is creepy, just thinking how alone we are out here, I'm already lonely as it is

• The European one is actually more terrifying because an alien plague sweeping through our population and completely ruining us is not on my bucket list

• this is the universe not that big is it
    flatearthscienceandbible.files.wordpress.com/.../img_0039-1.jpeg

now as for life on other planets you mean these guys right
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...efa02e2fc7.jpg

BOOK OF ENOCH CHAPTER 6
    And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children

let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children
    cdns.yournewswire.com/.../...ruskulls-620x254.jpeg

GOD ALMIGHTY YOU ARE WORTHY

• I vote reality 3.

The universe is most likely a extremely static inevitability. There is no such thing as choice and chance and everything is part of the same mechanical system governed by the laws of physics. What you will think or do tomorrow this time is thanks to neurological chemical reactions and electrical charges and nothing can change it.

• Reality 2 is probably closer to what is real but then that would beg the question why don't all the other intelligent societies in the universe band together to kill the evil supreme intelligent life?

• An interesting argument, although churchy in tone, about the uniqueness of Earth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGPHF5A6Po

• i think reality is false because there are better planets in the galaxy that are in a more better position to their sun than our planet is to our sun to create life. this means if life on our planet can thrive then life can thrive on these planets as well.

the creation of life is basically a chemical reaction. if the right nutrients are in the right place at the right time one cellular living organisms will start forming, which will eventually evolve into life as we know it. this means that the chemical reactions needed to create life happen as soon as it can happen.

therefore i believe only reality 2 can be possible. since life can be formed easier on other planets in the galaxy then maybe they are already way more advanced than we are? only time will tell.

• Voted reality 1.

By the way, sorry for this, but reality 2 can never happen. If aliens are advanced enough, they will be peaceful, they can't be advanced and hostile

Says who? You or I really have no idea. Scientists much smarter than you or I in this field say it's quite possible, including Steven Hawking's, so I don't know where you're coming up witg that notion

Did you read the link, and what did you think of it?

By the way, you know, Stephen Hawking has done a lot of research about black holes etc. discovered hawking radiation, but then later he decided that black holes suddenly don't exist anymore, and went back and forth a few times.
      But the thing is: he knows much about black holes etc. Really much. But guess what. He knows near to nothing about the social aspects of civilisations. How can he make such claims and you expect people to agree with that?
      Just because he knows much about a subject doesn't mean he knows much about others.

And by the way, the doctor's office has gotten nothing to do with whether alien civilisations are hostile or not. Doctor's information is based on evidence, hostile alien civilisations are based on assumptions etc.
      And even when going to the doctor I'd think for myself. If he gives me a medicine which suppresses symptoms and which is addictive (which is sometimes the case), I'd rather not take it.

• First didn't seem creepy at all, then eventually did and had a sad vibe. The second was creepy but cool.

• number 2, since it's the common view that most subscribe to.

• Reality 1 is more creepy