Is this ok for my mom to do?

My mom forcing me to pay 250 a month and I barely make 450 a month

Most Helpful Girl

• It's fair but not necessarily reasonable. She may have reasons that you can't see such as wanting you to learn what real life costs before you get out on your own.

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it's fair. i think she is probably hoping it will incentivize you to work more and get more money.
    consider the mortgage, cable, internet, utility and grocery bills she is paying for.

i know it sucks but $250 really isn't that bad. I paid my parents $500

What Girls Said 6

• Sit Mom home and Compromise, @Michael5809
    Explain to Her your Sad Scenario, and to Make it up, Fill in with Those Things to Help Mom around the House.
    Good luck and Thanks for your Invite. x

She won't listen

Okay, so You need to lay the law down a bit and tel her, "Mom, you can't get Blood out of a Broke cold stone."xx

• If that covers your food and bills, then yeah, I think that's fair.

• Absolutely

• yes because you are over 18. I would do that for my kids too.
    you need to go and get some roommates and go be an adult, learn to be independent.

• Well it depends if you are living under her roof or not. If you are, its reasonable to put your share in. If you aren't, keep your money.

• Nope

What Guys Said 15

• How much would a room and food cost if you were living somewhere else?

Im not sure

Your mother is probably giving you a good deal. Sometimes, parents let their kids stay at home - they certainly aren't required to give you free room and board after you reach age 18 - because they want to help you to get started on the road to being self-sufficient. Then they see their kids doing foolish things with money and they feel the kids are taking advantage of the situation, so this is how they respond.

• I never understood this. Doesn't teach you responsibility. Your parents should be forcing you into working some shitty job to teach you some life lesson. You acquire that lesson naturally in life. You should be focusing on nothing but your studies at university to land yourself a great career.

• Maybe ask her if it can be half of that. I mean you are learning how to be an adult and independent, so you gotta pay rent if everything else is provided to ya

• 250 a month for what?

I assume that utility bills (electricity, gas and water) probably internet connection, food, drink, she's most likely washing his laundry, doing dishes, and rent is not for free as well. Is that enough as an explanation?

@goldfinch23 Maybe you did all those things because you didn't want anything particular in life or any discipline but I know a lot of teenagers who saved money. I have a friend who saved up enough money from working in his parents store to buy a stage 2 Roush Mustang. And no, his parents didn't pay him a crazy amount of money and they didn't help him with anything other than using their credit so he could get a good deal.

When I was 19 I had $2000 saved up and that was at a point in my life where a lot of shit was going wrong for me. I was always spending money on things like gas, eventually insurance, car repairs.

Unless I'm totally screwed my parents make me pay my own way so I can learn how. And My parent's aren't even poor. Just to put it in perspective, unless it's an out of network doctor, I pay $10 for pretty much everything.

So yea, a teenager can do more than smoke pot and waste their money being brain dead.

If you are reading carefully, you should know that I was paying to my mum to share expenses among us. I'm talking about my friend's kids, whose are drunk, etc. And I see that everyday. Youths are thinking that their parents MUST give them money, and because of easy money, they just blow those money off. I'm just saying that I believe it's good to make your kid share some expenses, even if you don't need those money. You can put these money into saving account and give it to your kid later. Like this kids learning responsibility, and they slowly realise value of money. And if kid has part time, it make him really consider what he spend money for. So again, good thing.

• I was reading that you should only charge someone 30 % of $450 which gives me $135.00 i could be wrong but i think she shouldn't be taking over half of
    your pay also you may need money for bills.

• I mean yeah for rent n shit I get it, but what do you need that much money for, she buys your food too, no?

pretty much pocketing 200$ a month, if you want more money, get a better job

• Did she put a gun to your head? How is she "forcing to pay 250?" Is it room and board? Very short on details.

• That's just making it harder to move out...

• Nah. That's lame. It's not okay.

• N lol

• your mom is a cunt

• For what is she asking to pay?

• Its common practice where I live that once you get a job, if you stil live at home, you start chipping financially. Typically meaning you cover parts of the standing monthly costs.
    Is it ok? Even if you live on noodels in a (rented) hovel you probably can't get away cheaper so yes. I'd say it is very ok.

• Helping your mom pay the bills builds character. I think it's fair.

• That's more then half! I'd start with 10% & wouldn't give more then 25%