Do you think it's typical of someone to buy six gallons of bleach?

I'm just curious because me and my parents made a stop at CVS on the way home because we needed milk. So, my mom went in and I was waiting in the car with my dad. I was just looking out the window and I saw this guy come out of CVS with six gallons of bleach and I thought to myself "who needs that much bleach?" Then my mom came out and jokingly said "I think I was in line behind a serial killer because he bought six gallons of bleach". Obviously, none of us believe that. However, you can't really use bleach for much other then laundry and cleaning, even than you don't need that much. So, I'm curious what do you think someone would purchase that much bleach for?

Most Helpful Guy

• in olden days, it was used both to purify ground water wells, also for septic cisterns & hurricane preparation (drinking water purify)
    other odd uses for such a quantity
    pool supplies failed to deliver chlorine & swimming party imminent
    ground nesting yellowjacket/hornet nest taking over the grounds
    mold/mildew corrections, large scale
    professional kitchen runs out of commercial cleaning/sanitizing products
    hotel out of laundry & toilet cleaning supplies
    keeps cut flowers & pumpkins lasting longer & fresher
    ... and the oddest one: Halloween shirts created https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10766486578709049/

• 5d

Thanks!
      Recently found out another use - golf courses place water jugs out ~every other hole and over time these 5 gallon igloos must be sterilized = bleach, then thoroughly rinsed but can be sensed for a few days thereafter

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 17

• >_> That is fucking creepy as fuck. I mean, speaking theoretically, the human body has around 1 gallon of blood. So 6 gallons. Holy shit. That man killed 6 people! :O

Naa, but maybe he's a professional cleaner or something. It would be kinda stupid for a killer to buy that much bleach all in one sitting, exactly for that reason. But, then again, people are indeed stupid.

• If it's on sale I could see myself buying six gallons. I'm not even a clean freak. If someone is a clean freak and dumps a quart a week in the toilet, then six gallons won't last long.

Oh yeah good point, I totally forgot about all the clean freaks lol, it's definitely a thing.

@lawstudent931
      Yea, clean freaks and cheap freaks who stock up when it's on sale.
      Last year I used a fair amount cleaning moss and mold off the porch and sidewalk. Looks almost new now, and it's not as slick when there is ice on it. :)

• Guy's probably a janitor, or a contractor. Or a serial killer.

• "you can't really use bleach for much other then laundry and cleaning"
    Yes you can, it is commonly used for sanitizing of pools, floors and others and also to kill weeds.
    Depending on the size of the pool/floor or lawn to be treated, you may require gallons of bleach.

I wouldn't worry about "serial killers" using bleach, that is more of a crimi TV trope which is not really that applicable in reality.
    Well I guess people can still try right?

• Ya go through it pretty quick sometimes. Especially if there is a lot of tidying to be done. It stays stable for a while as well, so it doesn't hurt to stock up.

• Fuck if I know. I work at Walmart. I seen people buy like 20 big bundles of toilet paper and I've seen a lady one time buy 75 pillows. I grew up on a farm we usually bought mostly acid in bulk and sometimes bleach.

• Cleaning a swimming pool they use bleach i think or he is a janitor mabey?

• Only is they're trying to hide a body..

• When it's on sale, I stock up. Good price is $0.79 cents a gallon.

• You'd actually be surprised what you can do with bleach. *whistles*

• Who knows... pretty creepy...

• Spooky. I suppose it's not a big deal... still strange.

• Maybe he wants to get rid of a body? You know like Walt used to melt bodies in barrels?

• pay attention to your local headlines for the coming days I guess...

• you worry about meaningless shit..

• It cleans up a murder scene, there have been some lkillers that use it to clean up the scene

• I agree with your mom. As soon as I read the question I thought "probably to clean up a bloody mess"😷

What Girls Said 10

• Maybe it was on sale or he has a big cleaning job someplace nasty.
    I sometimes run random errands for work and might end up buying lots of wine bottles because we're out, and my boss doesn't have time to get it herself.

• I would have been more concerned if it was 6 gallons of bleach and 6 of ammonia... that's bad news!

• Maybe she's one of those avid couponer people

• Maybe there was a sale or he's planning on hunting this season?

• Meth lab? Could be he had a basement flood and he wants to kill all of the germs down there... so he could build a meth lab.

• Maybe he owns a business and has to clean the place. My boss and her husband just bought a new bar and it was so fucking nasty they had to use multiple bottles of bleach to make sure it was actually clean.

• Nah if he's gonna be cleaning shit he might actually need that much. Went through 3 gallons once trying to scrub clean a moldy basement.

• Your mom is right. Serial killer.

• Hmmm I overthink everything so I would assume it's a killer as well, especially with all the crime documentaries I've seen lol.

• Yea lol, that is very weird, however, if the bleach was on sale then that is the ONLY reason I can see buying that much. This question made me laugh tho lol. He really could of been a serial killer. There were statistics saying that you pass like, so many murderers a day or something. Look it up lol. True shit.