Do grammatical errors irritate you?

It can be in English or in another language.

For example, someone says "your" in a sentence like, "Your pretty."
Another one for "you're" is something like this, "Okay. This is you're raincoat."

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Sometimes

Most Helpful Guy

• So, I went back to school for my Master's, and one of the classes I had to take was an upper division grammar class.

Let me tell you, all of us are fucked in the grammar department (myself included). Once I realized this I stopped caring about other people's poor grammar. You know, stones and glass houses and all that.

Most Helpful Girl

• It only irritates me when reading an article or when someone is trying to argue and seem intelligent. Mistakes on texts or social media don't bother me though because I understand that sometimes it auto corrects the wrong way. What irritates me more is people using wrong words. "Please meet the newest edition to the family!" CRINGE!

What Guys Said 21

• Not at all. I think everyone who really cares about that should probably visit different countries or just meet other cultures. It seem so silly to get so stuck on such tiny details. Unless of course they have some form of obession, so they can't really help it.

In either case, I even purposly stick to mispelling (:P) words cause sometimes it is an easy way to rule out the less intelligent. Which is pretty ironic.

That's... oddly interesting.
      "Ruling out the less intelligent"?

Yup. Cause the intelligent would know or see the message.

Dumb example (Ironic again).

A lady cries and talks about her lost child. She may slur her speech, wave her hands in an unfamiliar way, but she's clearly hear broken. Where is your focus? Do you see her emotions?, the pure expression. Or do you see her incoherent message, her "flaws". The intelligent see and get the meaning. The unintelligent lose sight of the picture and miss its meaning. The frame wasn't straight.

Actually that got more intelligent than intended, lol. But there it is again. Do you see the picture? :)

"She's clearly hear broken?" I didn't understand the passage after reading this. However, I think I get the gist.

I would feel sorry for the lady but I'll pay attention to what she would say even though she slurs instead of commenting on her tears and sadness.

• At one point in my life, yes. I've since come to the conclusion that there are some factors that I and others fail to account for. Language is regional. Words and phrases that might annoy an outsider are perfectly acceptable within that region. Also language is generationally unique. For better or worse each generation adds new words and meanings to the global community. Finally, text and net speak has evolved in such a way as to convey an idea or thought as quickly and simply as possible.

• i dunno what u r talkin bout tings r changeing dood

• Generally no but sometimes the really bad ones that you'd think everyone would know. But the common ones that most people make, it's so common that it doesn't bother me. Life's too short.

• Yes there very annoying.

• No , for me the person who is talking to me is more important than anything else.

• It doesn't really, as long as I get the gist of what they're saying

• Lmfaoo who df carez? Get a life dood

• Well, we all make mistakes. If it's as if they just forgot standard English entirely then I may become agitated, it's never happened to me, though. I can usually understand them.

• Only in books or articles.

• yeah it does a little bit

• Piss me they off, they do.

• Sometimes, if I feel like being a grammar nazi that day.

• Not really unless they consistently keep writing it the wrong way. I really don't give a fuck as long as I can understand what they're trying to say tho.

• No until, it says completely different thing instead of the intended meaning

• Depends on context.

• not at all

• it depends on the context.

• Sometimes

• Gosh I am not so stingy.

• es tis you're reel questchin┬┐

What Girls Said 23

• I always spot them and they usually make me laugh/groan a little, but I wouldn't say it irritates me. That said, I do find it difficult to read pieces that are littered with errors (such as my students' work...)

I am the type to find mistakes on everything... I once found a mistake on a chewing gum packet - in the french! I guess my high-school french isn't that bad :)

By the way, I do proofreading as a side job :) Pays well!

• I don't mind typos where it's obvious autocorrect messed up or they just tapped the wrong letter. But not knowing the correct homonym annoys me a lot.

• I don't understand why i'd get bothered or irritated over such a trivial thing that doesn't concern me, i'd just pity the people and hope their brains are at least bigger than a pea.

• your beeing very jugmental. ar'nt u?

• Yep!, grammar nazi right here!

• We all make mistakes, I make a lot of mistakes myself but this one just irritates me. I cringe whenever someone gets it wrong.

• no.. not really

• Yes all the time! I thought my friend was at a castle because he didn't use proper punctuation. "I'm at a white castle " is NOT the same thing as "I'm at a White Castle!" I wouldn't have been jealous if I had known you were only getting fast food! He repeatedly does this to me and wonders why I take the things he says in a different way than he means them. Gee, I wonder why.

• nope

• I worked as an editor to pay for my studies, I had to deal with many grammatical errors. Imagine if what would have happened if they (the errors) irritated me?
    I'd have been expelled for throwing tantrums caused for insignificant things.

• Only if it's to the point of having issues understanding what they mean.

• Usually, no. Occasionally if it's in a setting where grammar should be expected, it does seem unprofessional. Otherwise in most settings it's okay.

• It depends if it is your mother tongue or not. I hate when Spanish people don't write properly, but I understand when foreigners do that. I expect the same treatment for me, because I'm studying English and sometimes I do grammatical errors.

• Depends on the situation but if the person doing it is already a jerk, I'll play the Grammar Nazi.

• Ehhhhh, sometimes but not really.

• yes and i am paid to correct them

• So much!

• Most of the time yes.

• I try not to care too much, but generally it irritates me to no end.

• Omfg all the fucking time, it's so irritating.

• No but americanised spelling really annoys me. Especially because my spell checkers tell me i'm spelling incorrectly when it is literally my own countries language. To make it worse people don't use literally properly anymore.

• no that doesn't bother me

• Not on comments and stuff because typos happen, but generally, they really frustrate me. I can't read most of the shit on Wattpad because of it.