How much has your home town changed over the years?

Like in home towns you have lived in your whole life and how they've changed.

For me mine has changed DRASTICALLY! Before it didn't have much and not too many people but now it's got a lot more and it's fucking crowded!

• A lot
  • a little
  • barely any change
  • hasn't changed
  • Moved around too much

Most Helpful Guy

• My home town in the valley of southern California... is unfortunately more run-down than it was before.

When I lived there, the city was brand new and very suburban. Now all the ghetto ass people fleeing Los Angeles moved in... but brought their ghetto ass culture with them and ruined my hometown. :-/

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 32

• The town I lived in had 27,000 people in it when my family moved there in 1974. Today, it's got 105,000. It also has a large number of "investment houses" that are being rented out as Section 8 housing (government subsidized), and lots of ghetto element has moved in. Crime is way up, gang activity, drugs, fraud, and about 12% of the students in the school district aren't from the town - but the school refuses to expel them even though they are fully aware that they aren't qualified to be there.

So, yeah, a little different.

• i'm from a small suburb about 45minutes outside of philly. growing up my town was quiet, very little to do. it really catered to families and older people. there is a university in my town and it's pretty good but I didn't want to stay in town because it was so boring and dull.

since then the university has grown and a lot of grads choose to stay there and even more young people have moved to the area. now it has a handful of bars, great restaurants and holds lots of cool events

it still has the small town feel but doesn't only seem to cater to families and older people but a much larger grou

• Istanbul.. its changed a lot, especially it changed a lot after 1950s, there were so many historical buildings, schools and everything but stupid government that time ruined the city, destroyed everything and increased Istanbul's population from 4 million to 18 million. Maybe I'll move to a diffrent country in the future just cause of that.

Its officially 18 million but I bet there are at least 22 million people living here right now. Its too crowded but still its worth to see and has a lot of historical palaces, buildings to see.

• Like nobody used to live out in the sticks where I live.. It's really building up now so it doesn't offer the peace and quiet that it used to. Noisy neighbors are a thing that we never had to deal with because we didn't have neighbors lol.. Now people exist to deal with lol

• 0|0
  • Several franchise restaurants moved out of town leaving main street empty. Plans are in effect to tear down the drive in that's been there for 60 years to put 400 houses there and maybe a new school.

• Nothing has changed on my road as long as I've lived here :)

• When I was a little kid close to the ocean was a suburb and I could drive 10 minutes out west and be in nursery/agricultural land. I use to go pick fresh strawberries at a local farm... There were city ordinances that allowed a maximum of 2 stories for a commercial building. IBM was a major employer. By the time I was entering middle school IBM was gone and there was no more land at all, no farms, no nursery, and they were fight to protect the everglades from developers that wanted to fill it in and build country club communities on top of it. Now there are tons of large buildings everywhere in the east along Federal Highway (US1) and Dixie Highway. My childhood neighborhood is still single family homes, but they use to cost $120K and now they cost about $500-700K

• LOTS

The city has nearly doubled in population since High School, it seems like nearly every single building in the city has been built new or totally renovated in the last 10-15 years. It's really strange because EVERYTHING! is new and shiny. Including the roads, I can't even recall the last time I saw a pot hole and there are NO over hear power lines, they are all underground.

• I lived in a very rural area when I moved there 25 years ago. Now we're fighting a 100 lot subdivision from being built less than 1/2 mile down the road because the roads and other infrastructure just can't handle it and the county planning commission doesn't seem to care.

• In 1960's my home town was thriving, growing, prospering. In the 70's all the well to do people began to move away, and people became more poor. The unions chased away the electric company, General Motors shut down its plant, poverty increased, crime increased, schools diminished. About two years ago now, my home town has the worse gross domestic products (GDP), -14%, in the entire country. Right now it's pretty much an entire slum that spreads for 20 miles in any direction, housing a quarter million people. I don't live there anymore though, but I miss my parents and family.

• Da good:
    -one grocery store started carrying alcohol
    -a marina was built
    -a few new houses went up
    -we got a home hardware

Da bad:
    -they tore down the elementary school I went to (I was there in its last year)
    -not as many young people; the population seems to be 'greying'
    -last summer our fish plant, the main source of employment in our community, burned down

• Never bothered to pay attention.

• it has changed a bit around. More houses were built. more roads, and new shopping centers have been built 2 miles away.
    And 2 schools were rebuilt. And a highway passed near us.

All for the better, I think.

• My town changed a lot, for the worse :(

• not that much... but it's only a small village. they built a wall along the river against floodings, there came a shopping center and a couple of other stores incl a McD, some roads got renewed and a bridge and that's it for the most parts. Well, for a tiny village that might actually be a lot... I don't know

• I honestly don't think my town has changed in at least 15 years. Actually, we got a bit bigger, but small towns don't exactly change, especially when at least 33% of it is made up of townies

• Yeah our town they did face lifts to the buildings and people move these small antique shops in town, if they make the money they stay if not than they move out of town. It's amazing how much our town has changed there is pizza places come and there was flower shop it stayed for 2 years than moved out and a new flower shop moved into it's place really something else.

• A lot

• Pretty much the same as most places - it's become over-populated, mostly because of immigration. It's losing its charm and tranquility.

• Yeah it's not densely populated with the middle eastern community and they are racist as fuck. I get dirty looks walking around my hometown because I look white.

There are many of them where I live. They always stare but it's usually cause they're expecting a "hi", and if someone doesn't greet they think you don't like them. I don't think they are racist lol.

• It has changed a bit, they kept building more houses and apartments lol.

• You can never go home. I went back after seven years and I got lost. And the bad part of town was now the upscale side of town. Very strange to be back.

• A little here and there, but it's been changing for a while - even when I was a kid. Maybe a bit more now, since the population keeps growing. But it's still relatively the same.

• So much. I remember it before they put in the subways.

• Since I've been born barely changed aside from new stores or restaurants here and there.

• Very very little. We're talking a small town in New York that's constantly getting taken advantage of financially by the surrounding towns. Nothing's happening here.

• I live in an "engineered" city, so buildings are always being redone and everything. Nothing new really

• I've lived in so many states...

• Gradualy getting more crowded.. My town holds a world record !!!

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 6

• My town in Saudi Arabia changed a lot. Every time I go back I see it changing, they are building lots of new towers, trying to compete with Dubai and other cities in the region. Overall I'm saying it's changing for the best, becoming more modern.

In Tunisia it's changing for the worse by becoming over populated but it's still very nice.

• Not much has changed around here.

• lots of drastic changes

• A lot. I've moved around a lot but I have visited it before. It's definitely grown.
    I was born in Wilmar Minnesota

• A lot. It used to be very small and dead, and now it's the fastest growing city in Canada and a whole lot more lively.

• barely