Why do cats kill an animal but not eat it?

My cat killed it. The body is still intact. I dont understand, usually they play with it and then eat it but not now.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes cats will bring you dead animals as gifts because they think you can't feed yourself, so they're hunting on your behalf. So... I guess it's time for you to start feasting 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• It brought you a present!
    Don't be rude, eat it.
    Instinct to catch food and bring it home, cats love hunting.

What Girls Said 6

• People Here, dear, Pretty much Put this in a Nut shell, I can Tell.
    If your Pet is Being well Fed, including with His or Her Cozy Bed, then Bringing home "Prey to Play," a Little more Loving is all that is Needed... For more Happy Kneading.
    Good luck and most Adorable, @Blitzkrieger xxx

• Because cat's brains are all about hunting and killing things regardless of if they're hungry or not. The average house cat kills 3-4 things a day if you let it outside. Obviously not because it's hungry, but because that's naturally what cats do and what we've bred them to do.

• 😢 poor mouse

If your feeding your cat it had no need to eat it, but their hunting instincts are still prevalent. Also, your a weak human and your cat thinks your incapable of taking care of yourself she bought you a snack to keep up your strength

Pop a bell on its collar so wildlife have a chance to get away if you let it roam

• Cat food tastes better but it's fun to hunt and they take pride in it.

• my cat always played with it and then eat it

• Lol thats my cat. hey does yours meow a lot. like more than a siamese

What Guys Said 14

• Poor rodent. :(

Sometimes, from what I've heard from cat owners, a cat will bring home dead or injured prey as an offering to its owners. This is similar to how a mother cat will bring such prey to her kittens. Weird things like this sometimes happen because people long ago took these originally-wild predators and bred them into cute and fluffy family members. xD But, even after all these millennia, a part of the wild still survives in them. They are hunters and killers. That's what they do.

Other times, a feline will kill something but save it for later to eat. Some of the "big cats" of the wild do this too. But if this is the case, I think they usually stash it somewhere --- analogous to the way that some "big cats" stash their dead prey in a tree or by burying them, like leopards and tigers do --- rather than just leaving it randomly lying around.

Or, your cat could be The Devil. xD

• Because you're feeding it. Cats will hunt for sport because it's a very strong survival instinct. But they won't always eat it because they may not be hungry. Or maybe the food you give them tastes better.

• because cats have no morals or ethic code. they just use it to practice and i thnik it´s just fun for them. they don´t think about the live they just took at all.

• A lot of these small rodents have glands which, once they die/get bitten release a scent and a taste which cats don't like si they don't eat them.

• I think they just like playing around with stuff and catching animals your cat probably gets decent food already a raw rat doesn't sound as nice.

• Cats kill for fun as well as food.
    Also it thinks you are incapable of feeding yourself,
    Go out and kill a deer and drop it in front of them to PROVE THEM WRONG!

• It's an offering for you.

Your cat will be said if you tell it off for bringing you things it just wants to make you proud of it.

• Because cats are evil and they need to kill because they collect souls. Thats why people say they have 9 lives.

• Because they have no soul.

• The cat is leaving it as a gift for you
    Thats not a joke im 100% serious

• Your cat was full

• Cats and Humans are the only creatures that hunt for Fun, Its a Fact

• Wants to eat it later.