Why do we only 'Rest in Peace' when it would make more sense to 'Live in Peace'?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with this... it is kind of the same as people who never visit someone, or go out of their way for a friend, but then want to show up at their funeral... the eulogy should be things we say about the person while they are alive, and while we can tell them how important they are... same idea as your question... I believe we would be at Peace Resting, It is Being Alive on this Planet that we all need to be living in Peace... Great Question

Most Helpful Guy

• Love the semantics - Aren't many greetings a version of that "Shalom", the religious greeting "Peace be with you" and with a twist of more semantics the whole "Dia Duit" exchange of greetings in irish.

What Girls Said 3

• Because everybody dies but not everybody lives! #2deep4me

• It's like "I hope your soul rests in peace in your grave"

i wish people live lives in peace in their souls

Eh I don't know I don't want to be at peace, I want to have excitement

• Sounds like one of those silly "inspirational" quotes to me. Life is what you make it, and life is harder than death. You'll always have challenges you need to overcome but it's down to you to choose who you associate with and what you do with it in order to make it as happy as you can. Death on the other hand, well that's eternal nothingness. So of course it's going to be 100% peaceful, because you're no longer going to have those challenges to overcome.

What Guys Said 13

• it would make sense and would be nice. but i guess it's easier that a deceased person's soul rest in peace (rather than going to hell or purgatory) than hoping for peace on earth... sadly

• I agree with you , why put our self through hell to the point of wanting to end our life. Why not just Live in Peace , I love this question so much cause this relates so much to me in my life at this time.

• I think because life is not peaceful. It's a struggle right to the end and you end up losing. You lose your life in the end.

• Because our soul and our body just resting after our death.

• Because the former is easier to do than the latter. That is if you actually believe in the afterlife.
    So a more correct saying would be that the former is easier to imagine in your head than having anyone experience the latter.

it is so much about peace in mind

Barely anyone has it throughout their entire life. Most acquire it in later years.

Or they acquire it earlier but then lose it.

But most never really have it.

• i like the sentiment of this question but to live in peace the majority would have to want it rather than the marginalised hippies like us. in death we all think the same so its easier ;)

• Life is ~80 years
    Death is the rest of eternity

• Harder to live in peace when human conflict will always be around.

• It's too boring to live in peace

• Because its the idea that your struggles are over now.
    You now get to rest your weary soul

• Because good luck getting everyone to cooperate on the whole peace thing

• How can you live if you are dead

• Because there is no progress without conflict. So absolute peace cannot exist.