What do you think of lawyers that defend criminals?

My husband is a criminal lawyer, and he chooses to defend males who have sex underage girls, rapists and other criminals. What do you think of people like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact that your husband agrees to represent people accused of horrific crimes doesn't mean he lacks integrity or minimizes the horror of those kinds of crimes. As an attorney and officer of the court, he knows that our criminal justice system is dependent on ensuring that the due process rights of even those accused of terrible crimes are protected. That doesn't make him an apologist for those kinds of crimes.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is what lawyers are being paid for. If they are under a company or oath, then this is the ugly side of the law. Everything has an ugly side. They are being paid to do their job, even sometimes against their will. But if your husband is looking to do the case, then look, as crazy as it sounds. This is how your husband is bringing home the bacon. In court, moral ethnics are thrown out the door. The main thing is keeping your morals at home everywhere you go. I can understand that it can be a painful process because it goes against what you believe. But at the same time he is still your husband. At the end of the day, the court will be the one to decide if that person goes to jail or get probation of some sort. I say that if the girls consented to this, then there needs to be equal consequences for them as well. Not just the sex offenders.

What Guys Said 16

• You're missing a keyword in your description.

"... he chooses to defend males who ALLEGEDLY have sex (with) underage girls, rapists, and other criminals."

Well, everyone deserves representation because there is always the chance they're actually innocent. We'd never know if we were all biased bigots like you.

• As an officer of the court, it is his job to provide a defense to even those we find reprehensible. We don't have to like it, but we must respect the basic rights upon which our country was formed.

• commiting a crime doesn´t takes all your rights from you. also if we knew what they did and "if" they did it to begin with, we wouldn´t need lawyers at all.

• get rid of lawyer problems

> lawyer shares the same fate as their client

• It's a job, but you have to be somewhat soulless to stand up and defend certain people.

• Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

• Presumably he is defending pepole accused of it not that are guilty and you don't want pepole wrongly convicted just like you do want pepole who did it convicted.

I presume or at least hope he doesn't defend pepole he thinks or knows are guilty?

He knows they are guilty, and that's why he defends them. He defended a 30 year old guy having a affair with a 13 year old girl last week.

Well that's very different then I thought you just meant pepole accused of it
      Is he doing it for money then as I assume other lawyers don't want to on moral grounds.
      Ever way that's bad actively looking to help criminals get away with it.

its not that he supports their actions but more over, his job is to see that justice is seen to be done fairly.

• That all comes down to your moral ethics. He doesn't have to defend them but criminals will pay and we all know money makes the world turn

So meh

• its their job... everyone has a right to legal reprasentation

• Your husband has to make money for living. Can't blame.

• It's their job

• Someone has to give them legal advice.

• ethics, they lack

• It is a job. Under the constitution, everyone is entitled to a defense. I have no issues with lawyers.

• I don't care for lawyers at all, but it's a job that must be done. There has to be evidence and there has to be a debate on what to do about it. Not everyone he defends is going to be guilty. Just as prosecutors go hard in trying to put an innocent person (and they usually know it) in prison.
    It feels dirty, but I suppose it's a necessary evil. Court of public opinion would be far worse to use.

• People need representation as long as he doesn't lie or pervert the course of Justice as Hillary Clinton did years ago when she defended the man who raped a twelve year old as thats a crime

What Girls Said 5

• As A future lawyer i would never do that.
    I wouldn't be able to sleep at night from the guilt.

• It's their job, and it's everyones right to have their voice heard in a trial.

• I wouldn't be able to sleep with him if he was my husband. But live and let live.

• It's their job,

• Well it's no problem at all. Beside even if they're criminals they're human that has right to have defendants. in my opinion