Would your 8 year old self be proud of you right now?

Think back at your own self when you were a child and remember all the dreams you had. Would your young self be proud of you so far? Why or why not?

0|1
20|35

Most Helpful Guy

• Proud? I know he would be upset that all the things adults/society (family, friends) told him was a lie.

Some Lies told to kids:

"You can be anything you want/put your mind too"
    "good comes to those who wait"
    "what goes around comes around, bad people will get what's coming to them"
    "Things will get better"

Most rich/happy people I know (lie, cheat and steal) that and being selfish is the way that got everything they every wanted.

I think if My 8 yr old self... saw what he was going to go through in the next 31 years... he probably would commit suicide. I'd tell him... hopes and dreams only lead to disappointment.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• no
    1) i don't look like the beauty queen my younger self dreamed of whenever i did get older. i look awkward looking and guys in real life look right past me.
    2) i'm not the achiever my younger self thought i would be

3) my life only got shittier

4) plus i'm a little pudgy... i didn't slim down like my dad probably wanted me to and i let myself down, i always thought i would end up a size 5.
    5) i became an obsessed freak, everything i touch becomes an obsession.
    6) i can't do anything right. i suck at driving, i suck at being the best student, i suck at being the person i imagined.
    7) i have chronic depression
    8) my younger self just knew that dad would come around again. look up kiddo, he hasn't came back yet. plus, he won't come to your birthdays after your 9th celebration.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 34

• haha, yeah I'd be way damn proud of myself. When I was little I went to the preschool program at my local university and I really liked that university. I also always wanted to be just like my dad and my grandpa by becoming an electrical engineer.
    It was a tough road, but I ended up graduating from my local university as an electrical engineer! I'd definitely be proud of me.

1|0
    0|0
  • LOL this is the most depressing question I have ever faced on GAG, honestly. xD

1|2
    0|0
    • 1mo

Haha is it THAT bad?

• Show All
    • 1mo

Awww good luck!

• 1mo

@Jxpxtxr Thank you. I appreciate it; really! :)

• I'm not sure he'd understand me. However, I'm sure my 18 year old self would understand me even less. We'd get in an argument, it would end up coming to blows and unfortunately, he would win.

1|0
    0|0
  • Great question - He might think I am a bit boring - I think what we wanted at 8 is different to 18,28,38 and 47 - He probably would be happy that I seem fairly content.

1|0
    0|0
  • Somewhat, I'd say. I mean, I've perhaps improved as a person but I have plenty of downfalls that I am still ashamed of. One of them is a lack of a social life.

1|0
    0|0
  • My 8-year-old self would be horrified that I'd willingly spend the rest of my life in school (I want to be a teacher)

2|2
    0|0
  • Yes, my 8-year-old self would be proud that I signed up on a Q&A site with the name "BeerFarts." Haha :P :) :(

2|0
    0|0
  • My 8 year old self would probably look at me, stomp his feet on the ground and scream "You're not a superhero?". So well.. I guess not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I believe so - especially compared to other people my age. But then again, 8 year olds don't really have enough life experience to know enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • In some ways much more than others, but in general I might think so. (Disappointed and worried about my epilepsy issues, but proud of me myself.)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I haven't solved the world's problems yet, but I am married with a family that I can provide well for.

1|0
    0|0
  • Be proud? he'd wonder why i haven't off'd myself from stress yet xD

1|1
    0|0
  • My 8 year old self would probably be more proud than my current self. Then again, 8 year olds are not exactly known for their maturity.

1|0
    0|0
  • No definitely not. I had big dreams then. I have failed to fulfill all my dreams. But now when I think through a mature mind , I think I have achieved great things in life , for which I would like to pet myself.

1|0
    0|0
  • My 8 year old self would be sad seeing what the world has turned into..

1|0
    0|0
  • Shit. I can barely remember last month, you want me to remember attitudes I had 30 years ago?

1|0
    0|0
  • Eight year old me thought I'd be an assassin.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. But I'm glad I didn't follow my dreams I had when I was 8 so it's all good.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not yet, maybe next couple of years.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I am surprised that I can say this now. I didn't think about it until you asked. I am so happy right now.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was pretty dumb at eight. 13-17 year old me would be astonished.

1|0
    0|0
  • My 8 year old self wouldn't know half the shit I'm currently doing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I saw this question before... i think my 8 years old would think that i went through hell and back.

1|0
    0|0
  • My 8 yr old self would think I was the devil now:)

1|0
    0|0
  • No but my 9 year old self would probably be.

1|0
    0|0
  • Even current myself isn't proud of myself and I had a lot more expectations as a kid than I do now

2|0
    0|0
  • Most probably not.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess yes. I didn't dream of anything really.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well it was only 5 years ago I think so

1|0
    0|0
  • No, pretty ashamed to be honest.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 19

• I think so, actually.
    I've made so many accomplishments I deemed myself impossible of, and right now I have big dreams but where I am right now, even though i'm still young, is higher than I thought I could ever be. So i'm sure I can accomplish my current dreams and once I am in my 20's even 30's, i'm sure my 15 year old self (which I am now) would be proud.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think so; achieving as much as I can, persuing dreams and overcoming fears.. like a princess warrior I wanted to be 😛

2|0
    0|0
  • Haha, this is a great question, made me smile.

When I was an eight-year-old my biggest dream was to be a painter. Now I am studying art and painting mostly. So I guess I really would be proud of myself.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, she would have wanted me to become a volcanologist and I'm doing something completely different now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

Lol I didn't know that was a thing!

• Show All
    • 1mo

What made you give up about Astrophysicist?

• 1mo

@OrangeBoy my shitty ass physics teacher in higher level physics in high school

• If my 8 year old self found out everything that was going to happen, she would have ran away from home crying. She probably would hate the world and grow cold and bitter. I'm happy that she had no clue what was going to happen. Otherwise, I wouldn't be who I am today:)

1|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

How bittersweet.

• 1mo

@Octavius so true. Because I had to fight through it and adapt, I think that's the reason I have no hate towards the situations. Life is funny that way.

• 1mo

Well happy you were able to pull good things from those experiences.

• No, probably not. There is a lot of things I did when I was 8 that I wish I could redo. Amblyopia in my left eye for example, refusing to wear glasses or eye patches. Now I'm nearly blind in that eye.. So no, my 8 year old self would probably not care because I didn't care about anyone back then.

1|0
    0|0
  • They'd freak out and not recognise me at first, but then be really grateful i actually did what they are partially feeling at the time. Beyond that as a kid i wouldn't have thought my life would remotely go as it had. I'd be shit scared about what i'd have to face.

1|0
    0|0
  • My eight year old self would wonder why I swear now and where did I get the confidence to have my own thoughts and not rely on what everyone else thinks.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I used to feel smart and be so innocent. Now I'm kind of a flaming pile of shit 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • i guess so

1|0
    0|0
  • No; I was convinced I was going to become sailor saturn.. I would be ashamed with myself. My teenage self? Probably.

1|0
    0|0
  • "Oh wow you aren't dead yet?" -8 year old me probably

2|0
    0|0
  • Nope, she would want me to be more active

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I have a diploma from my top choice college. I am now completing my degree and I never thought I'd go to university.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes my 8 year old self would be so proud, because I'm a barbie! I'm beautiful, rich, and live a luxurious lifestyle.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, my 8 year old self wanted to be a cheerleader, popular, and "cool" in high school. I got the coolness done but popular and cheerleader, no. I'm smart so I guess, I'd be proud about that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I can safely say that it'd give her a lot of strength

1|0
    0|0
  • Probs not. At 8 I thought I'd be a mum once I hit 18 but I'm not so I think I let myself down lol

1|0
    0|0
  • She'd probably be disappointed by the lack of boyfriend.

1|0
    0|0