Philosophical question maybe?

time isn't real
its a made up theory for us to try to understand the universe better
its made up. the universe is not set to an hour on a ticking clock and is not confined by the limits we set on it to pass throughout history as means to try to survive.
What are your opinions on this?

0|0
3|17

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I think what you are referring to is how we count the time. Yes, hours, minutes, months are how us humans decided we should measure it. But time itself isn't like that. I prefer to think of it also in this way - for an elephant time goes differently than for a human being or a mouse. His 'days' are shorter if we look on a 'day' as sleeping time ('night') + active time ('daylight'). He'll sleep for example 6 times (it's just an assumption) during a 24hr period. He 'lives' 6 days while we live one. I think for us humans it's much more important to have precise measurements and we had to create some kind of measure for this as well. Also, Earth is on the same point in time when it's for example 7 a. m. in Sydney on 1st November, and 1 p. m in Los Angeles on 31st on October. If the way of time measurement we created was right, people from Sydney would always be in the future. And also, if you took a flight from L. A. to Sydney, are you travelling to the future? Nope, technically we're not (unfortunately :D). Though I guess if you travelled from L. A. to Tokyo you would be travelling in the future both because of our time measurement and well, how Tokyo looks :D Hope I answered your question correctly :)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• yes in theory time doesn't matter. it's a man made structure designed to provide structure to moments, days, and life.

1|0
    0|1
  • The universe consists of entropy and as entropy increases things change. It explains why people age, food goes moldy and why chemical reactions happen the way they do. Time is a physical thing that exists in the universe it's perhaps un perceivable but it's there. We simply replicate another constant of time to help keep order and to retain consistency. But time is real concept, it's why life is how it is today and it's why we will all die someday. Simply time only travels forward not back and that's the way it will always be until entropy can increase no further and then there will be nothing except a vast empty void we call space.

0|0
    0|0
  • Time is a description of the relative position of matter (within a relative reference frame like how we view the world). So time itself is not a physical quantity and seconds years months etc are just used by us to quantify the change of atoms relative to eachother.

1|0
    0|0
  • Time is a part of the very existence of reality as we know it. It has existed since before humanity, and will continue to exist for as long as there is a universe.

Time is bound to laws and principles. As a part of spacetime, the fabric of reality as proposed by Einstein, it is affected by gravity, stretched and elongated as gravity increases, etc.

Time as it is perceived by man might be distorted from the full nature of time, but to assume that it only exists as a part of our minds is illogical.

0|1
    0|0
  • Time is a tool we use just like math. Time by itself is meaningless just like the number 7 would be meaningless without a frame of reference. It isn't that time isn't "real" it's just that it's relative. We center our time measurement around the rotation and revolution of our planet. If we lived on a different planet we would use different time scales.

0|1
    0|0
  • The passing of time itself is real. However, "time" as a means to measure this first thing (minutes, hours, days etc.) is an artificial product invented by humans.

0|0
    0|0
  • Space time is real. You travel through space and time at the same time. If you could travel near light speed for 10 years you can travel 10.000 into the future because as speed increases time speeds up too. If gravity increases time slows down. If go past the event horizon of a black hole gravity is so intense that time stops completely.

Also even if we stand still on earth the earth is moving and the sun in turn revolves around a bigger heavenly object which scientists do not yet know what it is. Everything in this galaxy revolves around yhe super massive blackhole in the middle, we are never in the same space ever, we always move. As time passes we travel through space, thus space time is a more accurate, more objective concept than just time.

1|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

Little correction: Time doesn't speed up as your own speed increases. It's the opposite way. The faster you fly, the more time slows down. So if you fly with 99.9999% of the speed of light, your relative time (compared to the time on earth) will have slowed down so much that one hour for you will be like years on earth. That's why an astronaut could come back after a few years and realize that earth in now in the distant future (his clock was ticking much slower than those on earth).

• "It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff"

1|1
    0|0
  • Time is the dimension through which change occurs. The direction of time and change is dictated by the second law of thermodynamics.

0|0
    0|0
  • You sound like my dad. lol. People who think like that have no understanding of physics. Go ask your physics teacher that question. Time is as real as space. Otherwise everything would happen at once, and clearly it doesn't.

0|1
    0|0
  • Time is an illusion of human perception. Something created to give the positions of the sun a name.

0|0
    0|0
  • Or else it's a physics question. Time is as real as anything else. To begin understanding time start with the theory of special relativity. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think its "made up" clocks run like a sun dial would, and sun dials used the positioning of the sun to determine what "time" it was, its not a made up thing, it actually runs off of our solar systems rotations around the sun.

0|0
    0|0
  • Time is an illusion.

1|0
    0|0
  • Universe not maybe. But we grow older lol, for us there is this thing called time

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure you understand time fully

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• The term "time"? Yeah sure it's completely man made but the process of time passing is very real.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's obviously true lmao

0|0
    0|1