If you saw a homeless person stealing food at the grocery store, would you tell?

If you saw a homeless person stealing food at the grocery store, would you tell??

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't tell no matter who's stealing the food.

Big stores throw away perfectly good food at the end of each day. Why shouldn't someone in need be able to get some food if it might get thrown out anyway?

*slow clap
      Just saw a video on how big corporations don't like when homeless dumpster dive. Stupid as fuck...

This is why you're awesome

Most Helpful Girl

• No.
    I wouldn't tell on anyone tbh.

What Guys Said 33

• It depends. I work at a grocery store part time. So let me say that if I was at work and I saw it, I have to say something, whether I want to or not. It's my job.

Setting that aside, let me explain a couple things. The way most (not all) grocery stores work is that we put product out on the shelf, and when it's within a day of expiring, we mark it down. If it doesn't sell, we pull the product. That's called "shrink", and it all gets donated to the local food pantry. We send at least a pallet or more every day. That's over a ton of food, vegetables, etc.

Grocery stores are a penny business. On a $100 grocery bill, $75.00 goes to cover the cost of the groceries from our supplier, $12.00 to labor and benefits, $3.00 to store utilities (lights, heat, phones, etc.), $4.00 to permits (regulations, inspections, etc.), $2.00 to supplies (trays, cleaning supplies, towels, rags, uniform rentals), $2.00 to local taxes, and $1.75 for charity events (Turkey Trot, fireworks, and so on).

That leaves the company with a profit of approximately $0.75 on a $100 sale. So how do stores make money on such small margins? Sheer volume. If you assume that 200 people a day spend $100 on average, your store will make $150 a day in profit. But that's a super low number. On average, we have over a thousand guests in a day in our store. Sure, they don't all spend $100, but overall, it averages out to a decent number.

So, please don't think that just because our store is nice and our people are friendly, and that our shelves are stocked and neat, and that the floor and bathrooms are clean and the heat is on, that we're rich. We're selling a service and a product. There's a ton of competition. We'd give more if we could, trust me.

• Yes I would tell the manager.

I'd tell the manager, "hey, I saw that homeless dude steal food from you. Here's $100, I hope it's enough to cover him for the week."

• Nah, the food is better in a homeless man's stomach than just sitting on the shelf where possibly no one will buy it in the first place.

• Yes it's stealing. All you have to do is ask someone to buy it for you or go to a shelter. I do not reward bad behavior.

• I would give them the price of the food they are taking to go buy it.

• I know stealing is wrong, but I have a heart. I wouldn't tell

• of course not

• How do I know they're homeless and not just a dirty welfare rat?

I'd probably turn them in. Anything they steal results in higher prices for those of us that actually work to support ourselves, and I would most likely figure they were just another freeloading welfare turd.

And no, I don't have any sympathy or empathy for humans. I had that beaten out of me. Blame people for me being the way I am.

• No. Granted I had some money on me, I'd tell them to put it back and I'll buy it for them. While I understand, people who work at that grocery store rely on that stuff being bought so they themselves can put food on the table (for themselves or even multiple people).

• Nope.

• No way.

• They're doing what they can to survive. Aren't we all? It's their hustle if it doesn't directly impact you then there's no need to affect his

• In most cases, jail offers food and lodging and he needs more help than just one meal. He can go to food shelters, soup kitchen, and others that offers to the less fortunate, but it may not be enough. I personally wouldn't be a tattle teller as nobody is getting hurt physically and it's something petty and it's not really my business to begin with. I'll just go on about my day

• I would probably buy it for them
    And if they were religious
    I'd pray with them

• yes. stealing is wrong-plus, i would have no way of know they were homeless... nor why.

• Ide buy it for them.. !!

• yes, of course. It's stealing and just because you're out of luck in your life doesn't mean that you don't have to follow the law. Other people get shit for your actions.

In my country no one has to go hungry. There are organisations taking care of those and offering food or beds when it's super cold. Also, even if you get only 4-5€ a day from begging... that's enough to eat. Won't be a luxury menu, but you don't need to be hungry. No stealing needed

@BuchitaBuchys the only one? You probably don't read many of mine then :p

I think I gave good arguments why I'm not ok with it so I'll stay with it ;)
      As long as there are easy legal ways to get food I won't agree with illegal methods.

(also ignoring the fact that the stores I go to are full of cameras anyway)

@Autumn-Bunny @BuchitaBuchys one more thing because you said those places run out of resources and other people said it too. I live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world and according to statistics we have only about 250 homeless people in our country. That's about 0.04%. Maybe that helps understanding my point of view.

• I'd just offer to pay for whatever they wanted instead of them stealing it.

• i wouldn't

• Nope.

• No I would not

• Nope.

• Nah.

• Yes, its actually extremetly annoying when its you the worker that has to fix and replace all the shit they take... every week

• Not anymore. I understand the struggles of a hobo.

• Probably just the wink and the gun. Good for him, gready corporate assholes jacking up their prices, they deserve a few buttstinky bums stealing their shit

• id probably buy them a beer.

• If it was a corporate store no.

• No. I've ratted out teenagers though.

• I'd offer to buy it for them.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 14

• No, I wouldn't.

• "B" Better Not.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Thank you, dear, for the like.
      I am there to shop, Not Stop. xx

• Nope. I'd offer to buy the food for them though

• Of course I would. They can always get free food at shelters if they wanna have the "luxuries" normal people have they should find a job and pay like everyone else. I don't encourage obnoxious & dishonest behaviour.

• Yeah, I'd tell. Stealing is stealing. Sue me.

• No it's none of my business

• I'd tell him to get a cart because imma buy him all the food he needs.

• Of course stealing is bad. It's better if you just buy something for them rather than let them steal something. What if they keep stealing after you let them be? Homesless doesn't mean you could steal something freely. They need more help than you just let them steal something.

• No, they have enough problems to deal with.

• How about offering them some help

• That's none of my business

If it were at my workplace though... Hell yeah I would tell, rules are meant to be followed (also I get a reward for helping the loss prevention team)

• I wouldn't tell on anyone that I saw stealing.

• If i actually saw a homeless person stealing food, i'd offer to buy them as much food as they can carry. At least it's food and not mad dog or meth.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more