Bipolar question: what do you know about bipolar (your personal opinion)?

Please don't look up the definition on the internet. It will hurt my survey and question. I want to know how much people typically understand and what the common misconceptions are. This is only for me to understand people and how the public will usually view me when I inform them I'm bipolar.

There are no right or wrong answers. I'm gonna give MHO to whoever posts the most beliefs they have about bipolar.

1mo A lot of good answers so far. You're all mostly correct or completely correct.

Most Helpful Girl

• They'll have ups and downs, and sometimes manic episodes. I know one girl who when she's manic, she likes lots of sex, she says after she feels like shit and wishes she doesn't do that kinda thing. I used to know a girl who when she was manic would just party hard and dissappear off to party for weeks at a time then randomly turn up again.

If I'm honest I don't know much about bi polar, and I've never really delved deeply into finding out about it. All I know is that it causes drastic mood changes, all moods, not just happy and sad. I think also, from things I've seen, is that it comes part and parcel with depression and they'll often have times where they're just really down for a while and it's hard to get out of. I think, like any illness (physical or mental) that it affects everybody differently and some will have worse symptoms while some have more manageable symptoms. I think also that with the right support or plans in place for the bad times, sufferers will probably be able to lead a full life and do anything they want.

You say you don't know much, but that answer was perfect. You've actually got a good grasp on what bipolar is.

Most Helpful Guy

• i believe these people contribute to our society in various ways people without it CAN NEVER contribute. they can create this awesome art and music too. they are definitely different people. i admire them really. i mean everybody suffers in life and everybody has their negative aspects.

i know they have rather extreme mood swings. im thinking it can maybe also be a gift as much as it can be a curse.

I've read on various websites were men come together to debate women and dating and relationships and they all say to stay away from the like the plague. i think thats bullshit. these people should not be discriminated against. they can be genuinely awesome people.

Thank you for saying that. It's always nice to hear someone say they respect or admire people like me with bipolar.

no problem bro.

What Girls Said 2

• My father has bipolar disorder. It sucks. For him, it characterised itself in dramatic mood changes (not necessarily sad or happy, he agreed with Carrie Fisher who described her bipolar as being either fast or slow). Wasn't exactly fun to grow up around and it's probably one of the reasons I developed my own mental illness, but it wasn't his fault and I don't really think any less of him for it. He did his best and had to deal with a lot. I don't really have much of an opinion on bipolar.

• As a fellow suffer of bipolar, why do you feel you need to be anonymous?

Shouldn't that be obvious to someone who has bipolar? You know that people look at us like freaks or schizophrenics when they hear we're bipolar.

I've never experienced that. The best way to help destigmatize mental illness is to be open about it.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't know much
    It's a disorder where your mood changes a lot? Like one minute you're happy, and then you're sad.
    Something like that

• They have mood swings. Mood Changes drastically in relatively quick time

• Mood changes. One moment you're good. Another you're not. Polar oposites through.. REALLY high and REALLY low