Does it annoy anyone else when older people patronize you?

Every time that an adult within ear shot of me says a cuss word, they stop in the middle of their sentence and tell me that they didn't mean it and tell me to not say that. I'm halfway through college do they honestly think I haven't been exposed to that? Along with other memorable statements like it's for your own good, it's okay you're still young, when you're older,

What Guys Said 18

• Statements like "you're still young" and "when you're older" don't stop. Age is relative. People who have grown children and people who are now retiring say this shit all the time to me. It's simply them wanting to share the benefit of their experience. I get that it may be unwanted information. And "It's for your own good" is extremely patronizing under any circumstance.

You began by saying, "Every time that an adult…" Your implication is that adults are a group of people to whom you do not belong, despite being 19. Could your own vibe play a partial role in how you're treated?

• lol normally I'm the one telling my coworkers that are my age not to cuss. Were usually around the public so it is not good to be in the habbit of swearing. However I do know what you mean. It does bug me when they patronize us like that.

• Yes, I hate it when older people patronize me! :)

• The swearing is just politeness - The latter part, yes that is patronising - I try to think of everybody as individuals regardless of age/gender/race/sexuality/faith etc.

• Not really because older people are some of the few people I actually respect because I value their wisdom and experience. Although I do find myself bothered by regular adults who are not yet seniors, like people in their 30s. I do not think they are entitled to the same respect as old people just yet.

• Yes, it is annoying

• It depends, if they just do it from time to time and it feels like someone looking after you, it's fine.
    But if they keep you short while you're an adult person... GIIIINNNYYYY, HEEEEEELP! :-(

• Never did. I just laughed at their need to express it lol. It's like, "Ok.. probably going to curse well more than that, within the hour lol. You must be very uptight"

• 28d

I feel they act this way because they think I'm innocent. I probably cuss more than them and the tv shows I watch, my parents call "disturbing"

• 28d

I guess. That's an optimistic way to look at it. It just reminds of when an adult accidentally cusses when a toddler next to them, and they tell them not to say that.

• 28d

Well most adults in your life that give a damn are motivated by wanting to be a good rolemodel and make sure you're raised well (even at 19). So it's doubtful that they really say these things coming from a belittling place as if they were better. The fact they stopped themselves leads me further to believe that it was more about reinforcing a better standard.

• There, there, don't get upset if we patronize you. You'll understand why when you get older.

• Never had one patronize me to be honest.

• Yup. I just think, "just because you're older, just means you were born first."

• Never had that happen to me yet.

• People of ANY age should have the self-control to properly control their language when they're around anyone else. We should ALL make a self-conscious effort to do this

• Yes. I'm no fool and I don't wish to be taken as one. My poor college kid issues are legit !

• Yes, it annoys me so much.

• yes.

• No I actually like it honey boo boo I like being treated like a baby maybe eventually they'll want to be my sugar daddy or sugar mommy.

• They're trying to be respectful.

What Girls Said 10

• That doesn't happen, but what bothers me is when younger people talk to me like I'm the same age as them in public - in person.
    I'm a professor, and they always think I'm a new student if I'm new to the school... or if I don't directly teach them.
    I hate it.

• People do it to me too. People my age. People have done it all my life around me. It is because I give off this vibe like I'm innocent. It also doesn't help that I'm a former preacher's daughter. They think they have to censor themselves around me. What's funny is I've heard it all. You hear everyone's baggage and shit when your dad is the preacher. Oh, the irony.

• Yes, yes, yes. Though I do appreciate reducing cursing around me. I work with a LOT of older people. And most are amazingly nice but I do feel like there is no doubt they don't view me as an equal. I mean, most are also filthy stinking rich XD sooooo, I dunno if it's just age.

• Well, fuck that! (Tell us that when we're younger, maybe we'll finally understand - that'll show us!)

• It is rather annoying when people patronize me purely based on my appearance (assuming I'm not dressed like a slag, I mean in terms of physical appearance), but in terms of swearing in public, it's best to try and not to in the first place. Make a good first impression and all that.

Or, you know, just don't care in the first place (which is up to you)

• 28d

I don't cuss in public. I know when to keep my mouth shut. It's just annoying how they treat me like a toddler. I don't ever say anything because I think they mean well.

• 28d

Oh okay, that makes more sense, sorry XD.
      Yeah, that happens to me pretty often, especially in my place of work. It can be annoying but in most cases they mean well ^.^
      Unless they're actually nasty, then that's not okay D:

• I only apologize to elders if I slip up and swear around them. My mother still thinks I'm five and exclaims: "Wow, how did you know that?" Whenever I say something intelligent and I want to swear at her lol, but I don't :(

• when adults swear around me they sometimes apologize, I find it funny because I've heard those words many times before. I don't use them though.

• actually yes. my older customers have a habit of doing this.

• What age group are you talking about

• Yes. So much!