Do you vote based on policies or personality?

Scenario:
Candidate 1: Believes in, and wants to pursue enforcing, literally every policy that you are for. These are all good policies too. But they are a deceptive person that has killed people before. You know this without a doubt.

Candidate 2: Shares literally no common beliefs on enforcing policy with you. You disagree with every aspect of their plans for your country. But they are a kind-hearted soul that has good intentions, even if it's not through your methods.

Do you choose candidate 2 based on their character, or what candidate 2 says they will do for the country?

• Candidate 1. Solid policies
  • Candidate 2. Solid person

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm looking for someone to be the president of my country. Not someone to be my friend. Personality means nothing to me

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 27

• Humans are notoriously weak to charismatic individuals. They might think they vote on the issues, but charisma manipulates people easily. There have been studies done showing that people don't even really pay attention to what a person says. They just watch body language to determine if the person is competent. What people say is very little of what makes people like them or follow them.

Sometimes people need to be killed. And everyone lies. Just because candidate number 2 hasn't been caught lying doesn't mean they're not a liar. Same for killing.

• Policies can always change but personality will persist.

• I vote for Candidate 1. We are electing a president who will take care of our nation, and we will probably never meet them anyway. We aren't electing a best friend or significant other.

• I mainly vote on policy, the President of the United States is a job first... so I can separate personality from production.

As a black American that is an independent political affiliation, temperament was the only reason I didn't vote for Trump. I trust Clinton's temperament more as an international diplomat than Trump's.

• policy is first but personality/tempermant/values is always important

• I vote based on policy and the truths I find on the Net. The mass media has a bias towards the candidate that their parent companies donate MILLIONS to during the election process. Since both of the major candidates SUCK I say #GoGreen #NeverHillary #NeverTrump

• Both but I lean more towards policy. Because just because your nice and people like you don't mean you'll make a good leader.

• Mostly on policies. The person's personality very likely would be the final deal-breaker, but mainly I vote based on policies. This person could be an asshole, but I'd still vote for him/her because they actually have better plans to improve the country than the next person. This is in no way indicating that I voted for Trump, because I didn't. I'm just stating that I vote policy mostly then personality if it came close.

• I would choose 1. Though, if they had done all of that, it's not likely that they would be running for anything, except their life I reckon. XD

It's a vote for a position in government, not for a friend.
    I go by the policies and if I think they will pursue what I believe is important.

Just at the atom bomb was developed using technology that was intended for electrical energy, a well meaning but poor candidate might just cause their sphere of influence to burn.

• I went with policies

• Both but ultimately personality (who the person is and what they stand for) carries more value

Much like the person with more education isn't necessarily the better employee

• Policies 100%. Which is why if I were 18 I would vote Bill Clinton again

But if this person had indeed killed then without question they should go to jail.

• The 2nd 1 is just an idiot at that point

• Both..

• Policies.

• Personality means nothing.

• I vote on solid policies

• I vote based on both

Well hopefully most people do, but hypothetically which would you rather have to choose between?

• i use both

• Just remember that what they have told you, is what they hope will get them, elected...

• Candidate 1 can't kill me so I'm voting for her.

Technically someone of such power could have you killed if need be, and they'd get away with it too.

• policies.

• Trump is a solid person in my book. The issue I have with him is his policies.

• i never vote for anything

• Policies 100% cuz this isn't a popularity contest.

defaulting on the debt, trade wars and flirting with nuclear war are idiotic policies which is why I didn't vote for trump.

• I vote based on the following:
    1) Don't belong to any Secret Society's
    2) Are Anti-Establishment
    3) Lean heavily towards Christian Conservativism

• I'd vote with the person every time. Their view on policies is nothing more than telling people what they want in order to get elected. Then... based on how they are as a person... they may or may not follow through with their promises. A good person makes mistakes but will try to do what's best for people. A dishonest person will lie, cheat, and get others in trouble to cover up their mistakes. o. o

What Girls Said 4

• Generally, a mix of both though I try to focus on which policies I agree with first.

• Policies, morals, values , beliefs, and their history

• Generally everyone is going to go for a combination of both.

• Policies.