Whats your opinion on an online relationship?

I've recently began one on the eight of September and we can both honestly say we love each other. I've been in one before this and said i would never do it again but here i am. Whats your thoughts?

What Girls Said 14

• I will surely and definitely not engage in an online relationship without getting to know the person in "real life" first.
    It's just a matter of authenticity. The whole point of being in a relationship (according to me) is to be able to include someone else in your daily life and create a stronger bond with them. You cannot really do that with an online relationship. You can try to, but it'd be done in a clumsy unnatural way if you try to do that on purpose.
    And secondly, I know that many people would say that you can still get to know the other person really well even if you never met and I agree with that but only to a certain extent. It's pretty easy to control your reactions when you are talking online. Even if you don't try to hide certain things on purpose you still end up doing it without realizing that you're trying to twist what your natural reaction would have been.
    There are many subconscious information that we get through a "real life" contact that we wouldn't get online and even though these things are subtle they indicates whether we're compatible or not.

It's also usually some kind of a trap. It rarely works out well in the end but you may get the impression that it's working out well because it lasts and whatever but most of the time it only lasts not because of "look how perfect we are, we made it through all that time together" but because we often cling to the hope that someday we're going to meet them. You may feel like you have an ultimate goal which is meeting them and that in time that you haven't met them in "reality" you don't really have the right to give up on this relationship because it hasn't reached its full potential yet... Therefore you don't stay because you like them, you stay because of an illusion you've been building up if you see what I mean.

• Well.. I can see the good and the bad side of having an online relationship. Firstly; trying to convince your friends and family about the relationship. You know they won't like it and they won't believe its real unless you guys have met and they have met them. Also trying to maintain communication with them as well as putting a lot of trust and time into someone. I mean you could go out and have a physical relationship with someone. But there are the positive things to it like loving someone on another level, you know each other by personality well before physical appearance, you have a lot more fun with it and being able to share each others differences (On a global scale that is).
    Personally Im abit skeptical with online relationships; it just doesn't feel real or right unless you have met them first

• I'm in one currently actually, and it's a first for me.

We started talking early to mid-September. About three weeks into October we started saying "I love you."

And just yesterday I finally changed my relationship status from single to taken on fb.

We have FaceTimed. We talk on the phone often. And there are hopeful plans for me to go down to see him next month.

At which point we'll truly and fully decide where this is going and if we continue it.

Yeah it gets lonely, yeah I want dick, yeah I feel bad when he says he's lonely. But I'm not going to push him away. If he wants to leave he can leave.

If I want to leave, I can leave. The beauty of it is that neither of us want to. we want to stick it out and see what we can make of it.

• 26d

sounds exactly like me and her really around the same time pretty much and i hope that when we finally meet it will last

• Hey, I think online/long distance dating can be healthy for the start of a relationship. I was with a guy for two years and yes eventually I think the distance and the pain of not being together did break us up. However I think if you can get adequate visits or a chance to move closer to each other when the time feels right, then it can be a good thing.

By having an online/long distance realtionship you allow your realtionship the chance to develop and mature emotionally, without a lot of time wasted kissing etc. You also then learn to appreciate the person more for who they are and it makes when you do get that physical connection so much more special. In my own example I was so excited and nervous when I met my ex for the first and only time I almost past out as I got off the train and saw him.

I just warn it is easy to get obessive and worried in online/ distant relationships because of course you are not 100% sure of the environment and the people your significant other is around whilst not talking to you. So I suggest be very open and truthful with your partner, let them ask you when you did during the day or what you might be up to occasionally and not to ignore them for long periods of time. Equally be open with friends and family. If you love them, the last thing they want is to be a secret. Do not be ashamed of your partner, appreciate them as you would an intimate relationship.

I hope this helps and good luck :)

• 27d

Oh I also strongly advice skyping/facetiming, it defintiely helps stop that lonley feeling and means you can build up more of a relationship with that person as messages are easily interpreted wrong are easy to manipulate and less genuin

• You said you would never do it again-There was obviously a reason for that.
    I don't know how you can fall in love with someone you have ever met. I think you fall in love with the idea of someone and not who they really are. People are often very different in real life. Do you have plans to meet in real life? What are your intentions with this?

• The only type of relationship I know lmao and I suck in it

• 27d

Haha me too, I've only had this one and one before two years ago and a irl one two years ago

• 27d

This is true but that's alright ^^.

• 27d

sucks that its the only one you know though 😂

• I would be guarded if you have not met, I would wait until you meet and be friends until then and friends when you meet to see if it is mean to be friends or more. Take care and be cautious yet optimistic. :)

• They're fun but the experience of being with the one you love in person is something else.

• 27d

i totally agree too bad i haven't experienced that yet 😪

• 27d

Well you should get out there and try :)

• 27d

vein girls at my school everywhere

• I think its fine, just make sure you're not being catfished by video chatting with them lol

• they're a waste unless you follow through on meeting each other

• 27d

plan on it summertime

• It is fine.

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They can be harder to maintain but if you can do it more power to ya!

• There very hard to be in and it hurts because you want that physical touch.

• I used to be like you when I was around your age. Specifically when I was 15/16 and believe me it never ends well, it's just that you get high hopes and you feel like your in love but it's just that you like the feeling of getting cared by from someone. Sometimes online relations can be catfishes too like old creepy men.

• 27d

true, i hope its not like that though 😪

• 27d

Lol wow thanks :) I've never had kids but yeah I think it's natural for women to think that way. And that's great that she's not that far, normally online relationships are long distant and countries apart. But the pro about online dating is that you get to know each other in depth sooner and thats what really matters. My online relationships did not go well but that doesn't mean its the same for everyone, and thats why people nowadays choose online dating instead I'm sure you've heard of all those sites. What I like tho is that the girl you are in a relationship with will know that you are not like most guys who only want one thing but you're willing to spend the time to talk to her and spend the time until you meet. Good luck with your relationship

• 27d

Sorry to hear about yours, but i completely agree, its knowing someone before you meet and saying youve known them forever whenyou finally meet haha. It lets you appreciate them even more cause of the distance. Thanks though!

What Guys Said 6

• I don't count them as real relationships... you never see or touch the person.

• No opinion on it, just another type of relationship ^^

• I think it's even more ridiculous than typical relationships.

• Pathetic

• pretty pathetic.

• Seems like a bad idea