What is your honest opinion of those who harm themselves?

It could be by cutting, scratching, picking, bruising, etc.

26d (Thank you, GAG, for giving me my question back. 0_o)
26d Perhaps I'll use these answers to write a myTake about the misconceptions of self-harm.

Most Helpful Guy

• That they are in pain and need help.

Most Helpful Girl

• They need help. Like, not necessarily a therapist, but they need people who genuinely care about them to support them and not judge them and help them through whatever it is that's wrong. Not saying it's that easy for people to do it, but very rarely can self harm or suicidal people help themselves alone and get better.

• 26d

I can agree with that. They might stop harming themselves for a while, but their days can have many ups and downs. Even though they might have made a lot of progress on their own (and, say, had almost gotten away from depression completely), all of that can be gone after a few bad days.

• 1d

Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 4

• I don't really understand why they do such thing. I know they're in pain, but why cause more pain?

• 26d

The best way I can think to describe it (for me) is this.. you know when you're a kid and you skid your knee? And you pinch the skin around it to kind of distract the pain?

It's like that.. you're just making pain somewhere else to take a little away from where it's REALLY hurting.

• 26d

@betweenthebars That's a good way to describe it.
      With self harm, they are already in deep pain emotionally, so they cause physical harm to distract them from that. Also, people who have been abused might do it to distract them from physical pain.

• I feel sorry for them and that I think they need some sort of help.

• They don't have idea how to help themselves.

• Attention seekers. If you're trying end it then you'd do it. It you keep bruising OR CUTTING yourself YOU ARE AN ATTENTION SEEKER

• 26d

Not true. That's not the consensus among people a lot more qualified than you to decide these things. I self harmed for 2 years before anyone found out.

• 26d

Then, please, explain to me why they try so hard to hide it. They would go to the moon and back to keep it a secret.

What Girls Said 3

• it's dangerous and bad for them

• Arrogant, depressed idiots. I seriously don't get how you are able to mutilate the only body you've been granted while there are thousands of misfigured people wishing they looked normal. It's a side effect of depression meets spoiled child.

• 25d

*may I add that often because of the selm harm the mental illness only gets worse, and if you do overvome it you're left with horrible scars. I'm only describing what a relative of mine told me. (She cut herself) she doesn't even feel comfortable in a bikini because you can see the cuts. They don't disappear amd most people don't think you should be proud you survived a tough time, most people assume you have issues.

• Something is wrong with them and they need help.