Would you volunteer to help those in need (in impoverished countries)?

Check the link below first

www.globalissues.org/.../poverty-facts-and-stats

Would you give up life as you know it to volunteer to help others for at least a week? Why would you help, or why not? Do these statistics bother you at all?Would you volunteer to help those in need (in impoverished countries)??

• Yes, regardless of my financial status (using gofundme or getting private sponsorship)
  • Yes, but only if I'm financially stable
  • No I would not

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but only if I'm financially stable. It's sad to see how sickly them kids are starving so sad to think that this should of been over years ago talking like
    the middle 80's.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would and have always felt guilty and sad in my heart that I can't. I need money to do that, and i don't have any. I can't go and travel there, I can't give them anything, I'm just here. If my situation gets better one day, I will help.

What Guys Said 29

• Hell no. It's gonna be depressing as shit. I interned at a small ultra rare disease pharmaceutical company and I couldn't do that. I worked with a kid who had the disease and he was 18 in a wheelchair and when you hear about how these kids barely make it past 20 is depressing as shit, especially with him there. I couldn't work with impoverished malnourished people

Not necessarily, there are different types of help needed... some people help build houses, others teach, others care for children. Just saying :)

But I get your point it is saddening to see the suffering firsthand.

• As a missionary yes if that is what God chose for me to do but I have not been called up to do that. Though I do donate to groups that help and do what I can from here.

• I feel like it would crush part of my soul, but I would still do it for a week.

• Voted B. There are also many paid careers that help those in need. Maybe when I retire from military service I will volunteer, but until that day I have to work.

• No. Aside from the fact that I can't stand people, and won't do anything for them (though I have done volunteer work at the local animal shelter, and will do so again in the future), there are a couple of other little facts that stand in the way of any such volunteerism on my part.

1) Generally, the countries that are in need of help have done it to themselves. They're too busy killing each other to bother farming, or they kill the farmers to 'redistribute' the land to 'veterans', or they decided to wage war on a neighbor and got their ass handed to them, and they were too busy fighting to bother with making sure their own home was unfucked.

2) They tend to be extremely dangerous, and volunteers are at the mercy of EVERYONE. A 12 year old with an AK-47 tells you to jump, you'd best be in the air before you ask "How high?" I'll be thrice-damned before I'll set foot in a place like that unarmed. I have nothing against going to dangerous areas, but I WILL be armed or I ain't fuckin going.

• I enjoy helping people, but I need to be sure not to get myself in need by doing so. I can't give anything if I don't have anything.

• Im a conservative Christian so I have helped many people in need through the course if my life as most conservatives have.

• the only thing is that this bothers me, is i never see a preface.
    America is the utopia and all its issues are settled and crime is no more, poverty is gone, no one starves or has any issues like this here... OOOO WAIT cause thats not fucking cool with the little kids. they want to go to some dirt hole and poke around and sound like some kind of god dam compasonate ass hole.

till america is a utopia i won't support any care for any other countries. especially since i have been in many and seen what they do. some times i laugh at people who do this, but its sad that they know so little they think i am mocking them, when really its pitty for them. and pitty for americans without who could be getting the help, that deserve it FIRST!

• Yes I will and I have been taught always put others before myself.

I help where I can and entrust my others to do what am unable to do for others.

To, maintain and protect the livelihood of others is my existence

• Choice B. I'll explain more later

• Maybe. I skipped that whole Ebola thing on purpose.

• Nope. We have our own needy over here on our side of the border. I'd rather tend to them first.

• Hell no! I'm all for "make the world a better place before we die" but a lot of impoverished countries are impoverished because of America or themselves. Leave me and my Canadian ways of peace out of it.

Jarhead, is there anything in that jar? Do you know any history or have an inkling of current affairs? Wow you should really get your facts straight :/

• 28d

Yes. It was just a joke lol

• 28d

lol :P

• Nope. I'd rather help people in my own country.

• If all problems in my country are solved i would consider it.

So you would volunteer only within your country then?

I have volunteered in my local community yes. And my mom has a non profit cat shelter for stray cats which works together with the city.

That's awesome

• Nope. The world is over populated and I care more for my family, neighbors, townspeople, and countrymen more so than I do for people around the globe that are always attacking me due to the country I was born in.

• I hope I can become rich so I build things and donate for such people. And yes I would go 1 week to help those people. Just give me food and somewhere to sleep and I would go help them

• No, there's enough need here at home with the homeless.

• No. I don't have the time to move out of my country. I am too busy building my own life.

• Far too many variables involved.

• No. I have zero skills that aid them.

• No, too dangerous

• No Im not stupid it isn't my job why should I give away something that I earned

All you would be giving is your time. But thank you for your opinion anyway

• 29d

No money can buy time and Im a guy so I won't live as long as a woman

• We have enough problems in America. Ill volunteer here.

• If i became wealthy and successful maybe i could develope something to help those countries. I actually know a guy who is doing that in south africa he set up a makerspace for pepole to have tools to make useful things.

For now doing something like that would hamper my career development to much and could potentially even result in me ending up homeless it would be a really really stupid move and i wouldn't be nearly as much help as i could be at the end of my career! It's skills and knowledge they lack not manpower.
    You know what they always say on air planes "make sure your own breathing mask is attached before attaching helping others with their masks" thats partly as once yours is on your more able to actually do something.

• Some of those countries just need condoms, feed a village, they procreate and require more food.
    Teach them all to fish...

• 26d

Lol fish with condoms?

• 25d

Education is the best contraception just look at falling birthrates in the west

• 24d

@Righttobeararms83 Yes, but without any actual form of contraception... Basically just can't have sex. Education and Contraception would definitely help more than adding more fuel.

• Even if I was a multi millionaire I wouldn't help those people. I would only help people that have been good to me personally IRL.
    When I am in need, I don't see strangers helping me EVER.

WOW. Okies cool, every one is entitled to their opinion... I won't lie though, this shocked me

• I have done enough volunteering. Time to get a real job.

• Most poor countries are unhealthy to live in. I have better chances of survival here.

For a week? Okies np.

I already grant a few hundred $ /month to charity.

That's great! *high five ;)

What Girls Said 11

• I'm not taking out loans or starting a go fund me so I can go help others less fortunate than me. And I think that's a pretty messed up idea... that to give time, you must give money. At my school there are trips overseas that cost thousands of dollars, so, the only people who get to help are the rich kids. I'd LOVE to go to a different country and give my time, but I don't have the money to get there. (that was why I didn't go to Bangladesh when my club went.. it was too expensive) Would I donate time here, yes :) And items like canned goods and clothing.

• I have Actually Looked into This, @SweedyPie, at One time. However, things were a Bit Better Back then.
    I have Lived Out in Egypt, with a husband and his family, and with things Having gotten Worse over Time, Not only with Terrorism, but Money Wise, it Isn't too "Wise" for Anyone, hun, to Go over and get Mixed up in Toil and Trouble unless you are Trained Extensively, maybe even "Vetted," First hand with every Woman and Man.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Thanks for the Like, kind heart. xxoo

I wish the same of you actually, you're one of the kindest person I've seen here to date

• 28d

MHO for your kindred soul, dear. xxoo

• Yes, and I have.
    But I may not again, not that I don't feel for them and would like to or moneywise. But our own homes have problems too and to compare them is like apples and oranges, doesn't mean one deserves it more than the other.

Totally understandable. As long as those in need are being helped that's the main thing. You're awesome! *High five

True, but at the same time my life, my happiness are also important so I'm working towards myself more. I was trying to get into a domestic violence type volunteer organisation but they were very rude in telling me how they don't need help (I beg to differ but whatever) ha.

• I do volunteer work about that much every year. Usually stuff like houses for humanity. And then the company that i work for has a program by which every hour of time i work for a charity, the company also donates a certain amount of money to the same charity, about $10/hr.

But in another country, not likely though one day i might take a sabbatical and do something like that.

Oh I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up. You are awesome for helping others *high 5

• I definitely would. I want to help people in the future. I hope that more people see the problem.

• Yes, I would. Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to go and help these people. I still do now and I really is I were rich so I could do something for them. It makes me so sad to think of these poor children and people to be suffering like this when I get to worry about simple things like how I look or what I should wear etc.

Tried gofundme? Depends on where you live you might be able to get funding to volunteer :) *cheers to good hearted people like yourself :) :)

It disappoints me to see how self-centered people are tbh

Yes it's very disheartening but there is still hope in spite of their selfishness :)

• I rather do voluntary work than send them money. That way, I will learn a lot, it won't cost me any money and I'll know the help actually went to them, not some rich dude in a suit.

• Why do they keep having kids? Ugh, it crushes my heart to see these innocent babies to be born just to be starved to death!! Yes, I'd help because I believe in helping those whom need it as we are all in this world together and should act like it but dang... They really need to offer free birth control or some form of sterilization (Tubes tied, etc...) 😢

• I've volunteered.

• I did voluntary work in Ghana and I would love to do something similar again.

• No because I don't really care about the problems of other people, especially not people in other countries. I have my own personal problems to focus on and my country also has lots problems that I would rather try to help solve if I had to volunteer for something (I don't volunteer). The only chance I would go abroad to volunteer would be if everything was paid for for me - accommodation, transportation/flight tickets, visas etc. because I'd not spend my own money on something like that. I feel like it's paying a lot of money to work for free and that's not for me.

Thanks for your opinion :) Do you know what gofundme is? It's basically what you described wrt volunteering

Yes I know what it is but it's not available to people in my country.

Oh okay, mine too. Considering seeking sponsorship though