Are curfews effective in terms of keeping teens out of trouble?

Are curfews effective in terms of keeping teens out of trouble??

What Guys Said 15

• NOOoope.
    So instead of teaching the young about voluntarily cooperating , parents impose curfews that coerce the kids into cooperating.
    Once they reach adulthood and escape beyond the grasps of their parents , this sudden newfound freedom can work against them if they are not prepared to be held accountable to their own lives.

It's a temporary solution that'll backfire eventually.

What parents should do is get a working relationship going with the kids instead of a tyrannical approach of "because I said so".

For example.
    "Hey dad , can I go to a concert with my friends tonight? I'm going to be back home a bit late."
    "Sure. Be smart. If you need me , I'm just a call away. Alright? Okay , get outta here you rebel."
    And of course , they'll be smoking weed , accepting small squares of papers , having car sex or whatever. It's just teenage years. The only thing a parent can really do is make sure the kid understand the risk and benefit of their action , after that it's up to them to make the decision , it might not necessarily be what I would have done but kids are not here to live a life that I would have wanted to. They'll make mistakes , and some of those mistakes may change their lives forever but it's better if they are young and I can be there for them , help them , instead of when I'm old and they're adults and there's absolutely nothing I can do.

• I think to a degree - It creates an atmosphere of discipline and responsibility but it must be reasonable on both sides

• If enforced yes. Most trouble happens after curfew. Coming from a guy who snuck out all the time. It was just fun and exciting. Been a nightowl ever since I was young. At 15 me and my bestfriend would go out at 11 or 12 and not get back till 1 to 3 am. Sleep, get up and go to school partially sleep deprived. a lot of it was spent avoiding police, which was part of the excitement.

• Not in the slightest.

• only if they are enforced

• ha-ahahaha

• Nothing good happens after 2 am.

• They're effective in terms of keeping teens out of well lit areas

• If they don't get into trouble at 2am they will get into trouble 3pm when mom and dad are at work.

• I have no idea. I have never even studied! That's an excellent question.

• Not for me. But it works well when the natural guard with machine guns enforce it

• If properly enforced, yes.

• as a former teenage degenerate, no

• Define out of trouble but no probably not teens who are going to get in trouble will just sneak out.

• not without safe guards.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, I feel that teens should be in the house at a certain time. The world is a dangerous place. So many killings, robberies and raping going on. Its not safe for a teen to be out and about late at night after 9pm. But you dont want to seem like a overbearing parent. But they should not be out so late. Some teens get wild when they dont have guidance and structure ib their lives. And its not good.

• I never had a curfew, my mother believed that there wasn't anything you could do at midnight that couldn't be done at 8pm. Her only request was that I got home before my father woke up, and to have respect for the people that were sleeping by being quiet.
    I must note that I wasn't allowed to date until 16, and my mother was not ok with me being dropped off at the mall to hang out with friends. I think I managed to stay out of trouble because instead of saying no, I was was given a list of consequences that could happen if I did something. It taught me to think before I did things. When I wasn't allowed to do something, I knew that it wasn't a good idea because I wasn't always being told no.

• My parents never gave me a curfew; I just had to text them when I was heading home or if it'd be a late night. I don't think curfews make kids rebellious. My parents were strict in other ways. I never had a rebellious phase. There needs to be respect for everyone which will prevent the likelihood of rebellion.

• I don't go outside

• Lol uh NO, def. not

• I believe they are. They might decrease the chances of getting into trouble.
    And keeping themselves busy, also helps.