Why I will give Trump a chance. Will you?

I'm a history major and as such i have studied past elections... all I can say is that we have been here before, where our country has been deeply divided over and election... Jefferson, Adams vs Jackson, Lincoln vs Douglas, and each time America still endured. especially after Lincoln won with the Civil War following soon after.

I'm not gonna sugar coat this... i am also scared, not because of Trump really, but because of just how divided our country is at the present. You have this very volatile overreaction on the left from Hilary supporters and this sore winner jackassness from the right who seem to think its all funny. it's not funny at all...

but even still there is a feeling of optimism in me that things will turn out for the better for us all.

Like Hilary says in her concession speech we do and should give Trump a chance to lead. As much as all those awful things he has said during his campaign, perhaps his style of governing our nation will be a different story. Maybe he will get the Republicans and Democratic parties to finally unite... if not to support him, perhaps to oppose him. One thing that always works to untie people is a common enemy, Will Trump represent that?

I'm giving him a chance because thats what I feel we owe him. He won and we have to let the transition of power go peacefully and let him try his hand at it.

Thats all i got to say, now what say you?

1mo If anyone was curious i voted third party
1mo To all those saying we have no choice, I understand that... thats a given, im talking about symbolically, metaphorically, ideologically why i will give him a chance. and if he does good or bad will of course determine how i will vote in the next election

Most Helpful Girl

• Here was my response on fb yesterday. I think it's fitting here

Lots of strong feelings going around today. I just have a few thoughts.
    1. Lets keep it civil, people can disagree. It doesn't make them uneducated, racists, bigots or sexists. We will never be a great country if we harbor hatred for people who think differently than we do.
    2. Trump won fair and square and sent a significant message. I think people need to accept that and look to the future. I have never been a fan of Obama but I still tried to respect the office of President.
    3. It's not the end of the world so lets maybe try to look for the bright side of things. We are a strong people. Get involved on a local level in positive ways if you want to see real change.
    4. For myself I'm going to give Trump a chance. A chance to prove my initial thoughts about him wrong. A chance to unite our divided country. He says he wants to work with and needs the help of those who oppose him. I will take him at his word for now that he will attempt to do that.

I am choosing faith over fear today.

As much as I like this message... trump didn't really won fair and square since hillary and the media were rigging the election... all those efforts making fraud for nothing...
      Trump won like a rock star, against all chances

A very mature reaction, as always. :)

Thanks for mh 💚

Most Helpful Guy

• dude your sentiment is almost exactly how i feel.

presidents have said crazy stuff to get themselves elected. trump is a hard guy to pin down. he was democrat, pro liberal in favor on gun control who married two immigrants. so it's hard to know did he really go so far right or he just playing the game.

as you said what scares me most is the huge number of people who took no issue with his rhetoric and supported him more than trump himself

kinda relates to his 1998 quote if you've read it since you said he was democrat

What Girls Said 23

• As disappointed as I was for personal reasons as well as in how Americans voted, despite how inappropriate and completely backwards Trumps behaviour was while campaigning, you've got a far point in what you wrote here. It's tempting to condemn Trump from the get-go but since the majority of Americans support him and have already voted him in, there's nothing we can really do at this point but sit back and hope that his sexist/racist comments, to name a few, were made solely to generate publicity. That he won't actually follow up on most of his claims and maybe, just maybe, he'll be the change that impacts the US in a positive way.🙏

I will interject a couple of things at this point. First, as I write this, we are being told that the popular vote may actually be won by Clinton. I realize that makes no difference as to who won the election since we use the electoral system, but it may be that from. This standpoint, more Americans support her, not Trump. But second is the point that many, many who voted for either of them did not actually support that person, but were voting against the other. If people who showed their distaste by voting for a third party candidate knowing that meant one less vote against the one they wanted to win the least had instead cast their vote for one of the two that had a chance of winning, the results would have been different. Either there would have been a stronger vote for Trump, or Clinton may have won the election. When people Choose to waste their vote, it can, and probably did, make a big difference.

@Red_Arrow hm. very true.
      (thankyou for giving your two cents. I wish the trigger-happy downvoters would've done the same.)
      🙈

• Don't have a choice. And it's not just him that worries me, it's the sleeping giant that he's just awakened in all the hidden racist in this country. He's given them the green light to be out in the open with it because they no longer fear consequences and repercussions. A car was vandalized at an auto body shop around the corner from my house not even 24 hours after the election. Spray painted with racial slurs. I walk past there on a daily basis. Swastikas were spray painted on a business not far from me as well. So it just makes me feel uneasy. And unsafe.

Brexit did cause a rise in racial hate crimes so this will too. But the left wing have trashed on white males for too long and they have spoken whether you like it or not.

• jackassness?

if it had been the other way around and hillary had won would you have said the leftists were engaging in jackassness?
    you and i know how they'd make rude, smug remarks and continue to trash trump.

conservatives don't go out and break shit and wreck havoc like a bunch of toddlers.

I did t condone it the other way around either but it still has to stop this nation can't heal without that

• Seriously, I Voted for Trump because I have Always believed in This Winner, No one Else was Included in my "Group Hug."x

• Glad you feel optimistic. I fear for my abortion rights, my Muslim and gay friends, and the violence that trump enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_4U65hp88 watching conan o brien give his thoughts inspired my question, cause he kind of articulated my thoughts

@lawstudent931 but, that is different, that means someone else's life is on the line. That only is the cause of 0.8% of abortions. I do understand abortions when it is to protect the mother, that is the only reason I think it should be done. Anything else should not be used as a reason to do abortion.

• 29d

I respectfully disagree, as to me, the right to life doesn't imply a right to use someone else's body. Just like how people have the right to refuse organ donation even though doing so would save someone else's life. Despite our different beliefs, thanks for having a decent conversation with me.

• Nope. Nothing I can do about it but I'm not going to pretend I think his presidency is okay.

• Maybe all the non-white Americans and all the women would unite and make a new country to oppose this redneck of a billionaire

• Well, whether people give him a chance or not, he is still the new president. I think it is time for all those desperate traumatized liberals to come to terms with it. I've seen unspeakable things happening after the results came out, everybody needs to chill.

• I mostly agree with your points - but it's people's right to protest, that's part of democracy too. I wish we would change this system where someone can get the most votes and not win - not because I voted the other way, but just because it's a really dumb system.

• Until he apologizes for everything he said and did on the campaign trail, no, I'm not giving him a chance.

• Honestly I distrust congress the most since they hold the true power.

• No...

why not?

I don't want to go to work later today. All I want to do is hide for the next 4yrs. I want to call out, but I need the money. Dx

Those people were probably like that way before trump started running. They just feel like how they feel is justified now and are saying what they have always truly felt.

• I have no other choice but to accept that racist asshole.

• I give everyone a chance.

• It's not like I have a choice, but I hope all of my fears are wiped away.

• we don't owe him... he owes us... that's his job serve the people basically

We owe him the chance to lead, he owes us his best service

He can't do the second part without the first... if you just have democrats rioting for 4 years of course it won't be easy for him.

@Jamesol1 we don't him anything because he's already pres... he's already got the rights and votes.

• Can't *not* give him a chance, he's already pres. Climate change rip

• We have no choice buddy. But I supported really only because she covered up her husbands rapes.

• Nope

why not?

I haven't liked him since the 80's and i dislike him even more so now! I really dread the thought of having a low class rich hillbilly in power!

• yeah yeah

• I love your post and I completely agree with you!

• I WILL I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

• Hell no. Actually I plan to move to a different and I am researching about citizenship and immigration about that country as I post this. Fuck Trump

Ok but that is a major overreaction I hope you know.

@COCOCHANEL Japanese men do sexual tourism everywhere in Asia lol. They are known here in Bangkok for that. But then again so do American and European men

What Guys Said 48

• I'll give Trump a chance. Because I have no fucking say in whether or not he has a chance. He already has the chance, regardless of what I think. I will reserve judgement as best I can. But I can only see this becoming very, very bad. I will hope that he proves me wrong and does well. I will hope that he ends up being a sufficient President. He will have advisors. But God damn it man. The man thinks that fucking China made up global warming as a hoax. Fuck.

But he'll have to prove it to me (as if my opinion mattered, but I'm just stating how I feel).

But maybe that's just what the country needs. A serious fuck up. Burn it all down and rebuild from the ashes, learning what we fucked up.

The republicans and democrats won't *have* to unite. The Republicans control Congress. The reason bipartisanship was so important to the Obama administration was because the Republicans still controlled namely the House, but also the Senate, meaning that they could cockblock Obama every step of the way. Trump will not receive such resistance. Most likely. Though, he doesn't see eye-to-eye with all the traditional Republican values, so it's possible, as you say, that he will unite the democrats and republicans against him. The democrats will have very, very little power, meaning the Republicans will have no or very little reason to compromise with them.

If Checks and Balances were ever tested, I think they're about to be.

• I do not hold that optimism. But regardless of what I think, Trump will assume the highest office in the world's most powerful country in January. Then begins the Tim where he will either keep his promises, or not. I should mention now tha he has already taken at least one of his promises off his website, so it appears he is backpedaling already. But regardless of what promises he keeps, his overall performance will be judged in four years. But it will only be a few months when we will see what effect he is having on our economy, our health, our position in the world, and I guess his fitness to be in this office. Whether I am optimistic or pessimistic, he will do what he will do for all to see.

• what does "giving him a chance" mean? I do think it's amusing how someone who both the republicans and democrats don't like got elected, but entertainment isn't the goal here. I mean, sure, I'll "give him a chance" to attempt liberal policies, but I know that he won't, and I'll defy, mock, and protest every conservative policy he implements, to the best of my ability. I don't really understand what 'giving him a chance' would mean, beyond that. Is it just to prove that he's not the asshole he pretended to be during the campaign? You can't run a country on that. A chance to prove he's not the creepy old man he pretended to be? You can't run a country on that. A chance to prove he's not the racist he pretended to be? You can't run a country on that. A chance to do what? To "fix the country"? First we would have to agree with what's wrong with it, and we don't. That's why I didn't vote for him! We're not going to agree. I'll gladly give him the chance to agree with me, but he isn't going to. What could you possibly mean by giving him a chance?

• All of the protesting and complaining only contributes to the divisiveness in our country. People need to take a few steps back, look at themselves, and ask whether they are helping to solve the problem or whether they ARE the problem.

• I think a lot of his animation was over emphasizing some beliefs, so that when he recommends legitimate changes the watered down idea is acceptable in comparison. (referencing the idea from one of his books. You take an idea and blow it up to an absolute extreme and then fall back to where you really want to be. Kind of like negotiating on prices for a car. You low ball the salesmen hard core and negotiate up to the real number you're actually comfortable with).

Like identification for all Muslims.
    Probably more likely than not he's just going to take the handcuffs on the FBI so they don't have to wait for a terrorist attack to actually do something about a potential threat they have been given warnings about. Some of the changes Obama made into what FBI officials can do has actually made it easier for terrorism to happen.

Build a wall and Mexico will pay for it?
    Probably more likely will offer reinforcements to what we currently have and strike a deal, with Mexico to work with us with maintaining border security. So it's not just us watching the border. But Mexico helping protect the border as well.

I'm optimistic about shit like that. Could be wrong. But he's already presented a 7 point plan for new Healthcare and it actually looks really good.

www.caintv.com/trump-releases-seven-point-hea

• Trump is now under a spotlight, that spotlight stretches globally. Trump's personality is about winning. Businessmen are partly in it to win... that usually is the reason why they are so successful

If he can check off his claims one by one, with that winning attitude, he will do excellent as president. However keep in mind that Even if he makes a tiny mistake, that mistake will be immensly magnified so it's good to know that going in and to gauge expectations accurately

To leave you off with some hope - if it helps
    If you prefered Hillary, do know that she advocated for businessmen to run because she believes they would be great leaders. He's achieved so much and now he finishes off his career by being president... those are impeccable achievements for anyone

I voted 3rd party just fyi

Totally agree...

Sure

Lastly though... I do understand with change comes unpredictability and That is probably the most worrisome aspect Having Trump lead. Change... either good or bad intentions, it leaves a level of uncertainty that might not sit well. Certainly it's difficult to predict the outcome of unknown variables. I mean all these experts couldn't even accurately predict the election it was that much of an outlier

You did history right. When did we last have a president with unpredictable outcomes

• Very well put, man. This is democracy, after all. He wasn't appointed by a committee or overthrew the government.

Like it or not, millions of American citizens voted for Trump and chose him to be the next president of the United States.

It sucks to lose an important election like that one. And it sucks even more when you're confident that your candidate would do a better job or is more qualified.

But in the end, there's no other choice but acceptance, even if you plan to protest and make yourself heard every time he proposes something stupid like building a wall on the Mexican border.

• Again it isn't him I'm most worried about. What bothers me is the possibility of 3 Supreme Court justices being replaced with conservative ones. Right now we have a even blend of 3 conservative, 3 liberal and one moderate. I see this as a good thing. That balance is going to be interrupted. I fear for women's reproductive rights and my dear friends in the LGBT community. I doubt they would do anything that would cause too much backlash against the Republican majority. This was a bitter and close election and creating more bitterness won't help their cause.

• Well, you kinda have to. Like you, it's not so much trump or Hillary that got to me (actually, enough for me to not vote... but in a non important state), but their douchebag supporters. You got the butthurt Hillary camp and the sore winner braggadocious trump asswipes who were all obnoxious all election and had to the annoy the shit out of me everyone else. Trump by winning, in effect, gave a lot of hateful people a license to be hateful and racist and bigoted at will (but they'll say they aren't, of course). That's the real scary part... I'm banking on him being all talk like he usually is and not go with half the shit he said. Cause some of it's frankly not how government works. I don't know if he was appealing to the stupid, emotions or just being plain stupid

"I don't know if he was appealing to the stupid, emotions"

thats what im kind of thinking, that he just said a lot of the shit he said just to appeal to those voters, which there seems to be a lot of, and that the Trump we saw giving his acceptance speech is who he really is. but who can really tell at this point?

Other _tommy_wiseau. Ide just love to meet in you in person

@Djaaaaay have we even talked before? 🤔

• Toad-1 I think he will be a very good President. Frankly I don't think he
    ever imagined he'd get this far. He has the opportunity to do great things
    and restore us to greatness. The Obama years have proven, once again the
    fallacy of the liberal doctrine. Obama save the economy. Oh really? I don't
    see it. I've been to the UK and they to a person consider Obama weak and indecisive. Hillary Clinton would be a continuation of the disastrous Obama
    legacy. in my opinion the bleeding heart liberal left will get bitch slapped six ways into next year and exposed for the frauds that I know they are,

• This is so true - It is a democracy and you have to expect the worst - I would allow protesters a few days to get it out of there system - For some of his supporters nothing worse than a bad winner - I said it so much yesterday on here I ended up copying and pasting - "I hope for the best, fear the worst and sincerely hope my fears are unfounded"

• The CIA gave Castro a chance
    The CIA gave the Shah a chance
    The CIA gave the Ayatollahs a chance
    The CIA gave Saddam a chance
    The CIA gave Pol Pot a chance

• I voted for Trump twice now and I backed him all the way since he started. of course he's my right-hand man

• I believe there are in fact 2 Americas.
    One is represented by Trump and the other by Sanders.
    Clinton taking away Sanders' chance to run against Trump is one of the biggest reasons for the unrest. Unless Trump can unite the two sides things will only get worse.

Personally I think a Trump victory is a good thing especially since the whole country will keep his feet to the fire.

• Either way... if you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump he is our next president.

Why not just make the most of it? Give the guy the opportunity like all of the rest of the presidents of the United States.

I'm not going to say whether I was for or against him, I don't want to be involved in petty arguments that mean nothing, lol.

• His tiny, tiny hands.

That said I am already tempted to snatch away his controls if I had the option to after the talk of his cabinet positions and Russias attempt to snuggle up to him and get Trump to release the embargo on them before there is any real damage done.

• scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/.../...36024460_n.jpg
    Describes perfectly how i feel about this election to a certain degree.

• "Why I will give Trump a chance."

Because he got elected and you have no other chance.

Simple as that, no need to read that wall of text lol

• I'll give him a shot.

But first I wanna see that birth certificate of his. Just because.

• I voted for him lol.

• I voted for him. However, if she had one, I would have respected her office and given her a fair chance to lead. I believe that it is the duty of all Americans to accept that Trump is their president and give him a chance.

• I'm gonna give Trump a chance because I got no choice.

But I, and many others will not be standing idly by. We will rally our elected officials to block anything that will harm the American people, and if he tries anything unconstitutional you bet I'll make sure it goes to the courts.

That being said, I really hope he doesn't act like his rhetoric suggests. Some of his policies are sensible. But the fat remains Trump put the fear of god into minorities and he is going to need to work to get their trust back.

• You were there when Andrew Jackson ran for president?

• Trump being elected isn't the end of the world, but it's the end of world as you know it to be today. Make of that as you will

• I do, cause I don't know much about both candidates, Imma let time tell

• Will have to see what he will do. We can't jump the gun and say he will do a bad
    job yes he deserves a chance to lead the country the right way. Look for 8 years
    can you honestly say what did Obama do good for American people?

• Yeah I'm anxious to see what he can do

Yeah your update makes sense so I guess that's all we can hope for

• 0|0
  • I'm excited for a Trump presidency.

• If he can do half of what he's promised then yes and I'd vote for him the next time.

• More from Guys
    18