Do you think Mermaids breathe air, get oxygen from the water, or both?

• They get oxygen only from the air
  • They get oxygen from the air but can get some from the water but it's not enough to sustain them indefinitely
  • They can get oxygen from the air or water and sustain themselves indefinitely from either one
  • They get oxygen from the water but can get some from the air but it's not enough to sustain them indefinitely
  • They only get oxygen from the water

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 15

• I think they have to breathe air for oxygen but they're able to hold their breath for a long time underwater. So in that sense they're like marine mammals. And they have to be mammals because they obviously have breasts, which means they also lactate.

• I believe they're mammals. They meet all requirements which is,
    Warm blooded
    Live birth
    Females lactate

• They're like whales

• I don't think they exist

• Both because they live in an underwater city.

• Magickey critters simply don't breathe.

• They have human upper bodies and fish-like lower bodies.
    Thus they breathe like humans.

• They suck it out of the whales blowhole.

• I don't know. That's assuming that I even believe mermaids really exist.

• They actually breathe from their asses.. 😎

• They can breath in both ways lol

• This question is based on a myth and total nonsense. There is no air in the water.

• They are amphibious.

• Well manatees were mistaken for them and they only get oxygen from above the water so I guess that's the answer

• They aren't real so that's up to whoever is writing the book or movie or whatever. The only movie I've seen with mermaids was Pirates of the Caribbean, where they breath air

What Girls Said 9

• I think that the best thing about mermaids is their duality, their ability to be both human and aquatic creature and at the same time be neither. I think that it'd be cool if they switched between breathing air and getting oxygen from water depending on which was more convenient at the time :)

• 26d

Well many aquatic creatures get all their oxygen from the air. Whales live their entire life in the sea but they have no capacity to breathe underwater.

• They're part fish and part mammal. So both.

• We resurface to breathe, but we can hold our breath for a long time and reach the the deepest depths of the ocean on one breath just like a sperm whale but better.

• They don't have gills but I still think they can breathe underwater. Otherwise, humans would spot them more often.

• Both

• Mermaids are real?

• Breathe air like any mammal

• Both