Reasoning Behind Learning New Languages Might Be.. Childish.. How to Cope with Desire to Quit?

To give you some background info here - I'm a college student who has decided to learn some new languages while I study - Spanish (more or less relearning this one), German, Japanese, and Korean.

I realize Spanish is considered a "useful" language, and German can also be considered useful (though maybe not on the same level as Spanish or English), so my reasoning for those languages is considered acceptable by my peers/family..

Japanese and Korean, however, are another story..

Japanese has always sounded very smooth to me. I feel like it's a very cute language, and Japanese culture has always fascinated me.. This is my reasoning for Japanese, and yes, it sounds childish..

With Korean, my reasoning is even more weird than with Japanese.. I'd like to learn it so that I can send a letter to a group of people, in their native language, to make them feel more comfortable.. I'd like to reach out to them, make friends with them, etc.. The chances that they would send any sort of reply are extremely small, but I would rather do it and regret it, than never to have done it, and regret that.

My reasoning behind learning is most definitely childish, and I understand that. But at the same time, I find it difficult to keep going sometimes, when it seems like I'm all alone in studying them. What I would really like is some sort of reassurance.. Something that I can think of, when I feel like quitting.. Anything, really. I just want to keep going.

What Guys Said 2

• If you're going to use the language, then it's not a silly reason. Personally, Japanese is far more interesting to learn in my book. The culture is so interesting and the language is cool. Only reason I haven't tried learning it is I would never be using it and would likely quickly lose it. But if I learned Spanish (which I don't care to) I would likely use it all of the time, because the opportunity is there. Most useful reason to learn a different language for me right now is just talking to a wider variety of women.

• 29d

Well, other than my desire to write a letter to a certain group of people, I may never use Korean in my career (I mean, it's not an impossibility, but I don't think it's very likely to happen either).. and the chances of that letter actually leading to something more are extremely slim, though I wish they weren't.. So yeah, my reasoning is a bit silly.

• 29d

Ahh, thank you then. :3 I guess that makes sense - seeing the fruition of all your hard work, and whatnot. Now if only I could change the rules of probability xD haha. Thanks again for the encouragement! I really appreciate it! :3

• 29d

lol Anytime girly. And good luck with all that

• I learned my language for two years, just enough to get by because I knew it wasn't really going to be that useful. Part of me sometimes regrets not continuing but, I knew that I wasn't going to go in to like being an ambassador to the country or being an interpreter or whatever, so, I decided my high school credits were enough, and, I don't really even need college credits to get my degree I want.

If you want to learn them, just learn them. That's why you chose to do it. You must really want to be able to do it, so, why quit now?

• 29d

I guess my biggest issue is that what I hope will happen, what I wish will happen.. it's not something common, per se.. The chances of it actually happening are very small. So I sometimes get stuck with this little fear that I will have spent the time studying, and I will have written the letter, for nothing.

• 29d

But, you just said, it most likely won't happen, that they probably wouldn't reply. What would be the use in learning the rest, if you don't think it'll happen. Besides, you could just put it in to google translate, once you've figured out what to write

• 29d

Hmm, I guess I just have hope. And hope usually goes against typical logic, so..

And Google Translate is so fickle sometimes. I've used it for Spanish before, and the translations were way off from what I had written.

What Girls Said 3

• Learning languages can be so beneficial to other people, especially somebody who's lost, confused, or you could be paid good money to work somewhere where they need translators.

However, learning that many languages, especially all at once might be a bit tough. If you're relearning Spanish start refreshing on just that for now.

• Any reason to learn something new is a good reason. So don't feel weird about that.
    Secondly, languages aren't learned overnight. You go into it excited but you quickly find that it takes a much longer time than expected. I would suggest finding someone (probably online, preferably real life) who you can practice speaking with. You become really motivated when you realize you can understand and communicate in that language. Plus the best way to learn is by actually applying yourself, not through studying books.

• 29d

I know that learning something as grand as another language will take time (I took Spanish classes all throughout high school, but because I wasn't motivated, it didn't stick as well as one would hope).. And I know that the best way to learn is to immerse yourself.. What I was hoping to find were some encouraging words, for whenever I've momentarily lost the motivation and hope.

• 29d

I had to learn some Japanese for when I went to Japan (not an English-friendly place) and the biggest motivator for me was when I started to be able to communicate with others. It's a very rewarding feeling and was the biggest factor in encouraging me to continue learning. I think seeing results is more effective than words of encouragement (for me anyway).

• 29d

You've been to Japan? That's awesome.. I wish that I could go some day.. At least, I'd like to. To experience another culture would be so amazing.

That makes sense though, seeing the fruition of all of your hard work. Though, the results I hope for are a bit.. unusual, haha. Thank you for sharing your own experiences with me, by the way :3

• those aren't silly reasons to me
    think of the end goal of learning them
    if you can put an extra incentive for why you're learning them (e. g. actually traveling there) that would be even better

• 29d

I do have incentive for learning them all, but the biggest problem lies with Korean. My incentive for learning it is quite childish. What I wish would happen might not actually happen, and that's where my anxiety kicks in - I don't want to have spoken to someone in another language (after spending so long studying it), and recieve no reply. I don't want it to be a "wasted effort," as it were.

• 29d

i'm sure they'll appreciate the effort. good luck :)

• 29d

Thank you! ^_^