Admitting intellectual inferiority through blocking in debates?

As the title says. I was debating someone on the topic of the US electoral college earlier and I was blocked after he posted as masturbatory comment of "I have a degree therefore I am correct."
Which is a logical fallacy of appealing to... authority which isn't even there in the first place.

• Aye
  • Nay.
21d I am talking to you , oh so rational person.
21d Apologies for the rant.

What Girls Said 3

• He's an idiot. You know how many idiots actually got degrees? A degree means nothing about the person except that they majored in a field of that study. That's it. Doesn't make him all so great. That what you call an egotistic and prideful person who is unteachable. He likes to boast, so let him. He's just upset because you stuck a pin in his big bubble called an ego.

• Majority of the time it does.

• I don't know what to vote since you didn't ask the question.

But yeah it's happened so many times to me.

What Guys Said 19

• Lol I always laugh whenever someone says that, a degree does not necessitate intelligence and just because you have a degree doesn't mean your right.

I have met tons of people who were pretty idiotic when it came to the topics they studied in. Especially since a lot of colleges are liberal so the topics are taught from a bias viewpoint usually and they don't make any efforts to show or even teach any other angle in anything other then a negative and wrong/false light.

These people are Pseudo-Intellectuals.

• 21d

It's like , I don't give a damn about who the other person is. He could be Mickey Mouse for all I care. I want to be convinced by his argument , not his aloft self-importance.
      *rabble rabble rabble*
      There are liberal colleges , there are conservatives colleges. They're all part of the problem , people stopped educating the public about both sides of the argument and is rash to immediately demonize the other side as wrong , racist , fascists , communist , fem-nazi , etc etc. Instead people stay in their little safe-zone circling the drain.

I was observing an anti-trump protest from afar yesterday , to see what kind of people go there. There's no dialogue , there's no discussion , there's no debate , just a bunch of people shouting obscenities. It is not engaging anyone but people who've already been convinced that they are righteous.

This is why the entire would is going down the drain. Back in Ancient Rome , intellectuals debated each other , presented their ideas-

• 21d

Yup your right absolutely right.

And I only mentioned liberal colleges because those are the worst in that area, at least in conservative colleges they welcome debate from all sides so that people can better learn how to debate using facts and logic. In liberal colleges it's more along the lines of I'm right your wrong now accept my logic and be brainwashed.

but the logic that is in liberal colleges is in come conservative ones your right.

Yeah that's something I notice a lot with Hillary and anti-trump supporters it's their way or the high way, a lot of them are pretty ignorant to. You go to a trump rally and the people are opening discussing policy, politics etc. At Hillary ones it's more like zombies just standing there.

• 21d

Don't apologize your rant is justified.

• At least on GAG that is true the only time that wouldn't be true is if you have a crazy ex stalker who wouldn't leave you alone and you block them.
    That just happened to me just now this 37 year old woman on here ironically posted as a question "can we still be friends even if we have different political views. And I said yes but just cause I said that Trump also won the popular vote which I ended up being wrong she blocked me. That's it it wasn't like an argument I just posted that and that was enough for her to block me. I wanted to respond by saying this but then it said she blocked me so it wouldn't let me post this below lol.
    "You do know popular vote is just the whole overall vote number from all states together right?
    So that's bias too cause say California is a huge stage and Clinton won that so either way you look at it some states are just a lot bigger than others. It just so happens to be that states like California has the hugest population. So either way you look at it both counts have some level of bias to it."

• Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't really matter in the end. I've had 2 or 3 people do that in the past month or so and every case was a person who couldn't think straight, because they got so fired up. I wouldn't say it's admitting intellectual inferiority. But it is a display of their level of maturity and that has nothing to do with age. I've gone back and forth with teenagers who handled themselves better than many adults I've debated with. Some people just can't handle having a discussion with someone who is well spoken AND does not agree with them.

One girl even blocked me, when I was only playing Devil's Advocate hahaha. I have to admit that one did make me laugh lol.

• I take a step back and look at the whole debating thing honestly going is it really necessary. If you have two people who will never change their mind why continue, I just leave a comment and wander off.

• Nay because sometimes the person begins just saying dumb shit and not focussing on the debate, but if they get emotional and blocked me then eh, no energy expended. Which seems to happen more and more these days both on facebook and here with the election.

• I completely agree with you. One CAN NOT claim victory in an argument if they prohibit the other from responding. They have in fact LOST the argument at that point.

• "Not to mention, as a Canadian, you really have no clue what the fuck you're talking about when it comes to American history and politics."
    Loooooooool, look how he makes it personal. You should have should have just cut it off there. The guy set his mind not to value a perfectly reasonable argument and threw common sense away (unlikely that he had any to begin with), can't talk to people like that.

• Unfortunately "Intellectual Superiority/ Inferiority" isn't measured through the ability to debate. I'm sorry you met one of the... less reasonable member of the universe though.

• 21d

That was an interesting read. I am a little saddened he appealed to himself as an authority though; a bachelor's degree isn't actually high enough to be an authority or be considered an expert. You need Master's or above and often a lot of experience. What a shame.

• 21d

^This.

Debate is more a show of being able to express your ideas and keep your composure, while either trying to win over the other side or further understand theirs.

• Yeah, some people believe that just because they have a higher education that they are superior to those who don't. That's not necessarily the case (at least anymore), because it appears that the material they are teaching nowadays ain't as superior as they believe it to be.

• Ok your situation is just weird, but the point is pussies block when they don't have anything else to say..

• Yeah, I've had plenty of fuckwits block me because they utterly lack the intellectual horsepower to combat with me.

• Except he was right, and you just went on with your dumb shit refusing to listen.
    Hence you got blocked.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon.

• 21d

Everyone think he is right and the other person is a pigeon ;)
      No one goes off arguing for something he doesn't believe.

• at least 20 million Illegal aliens being allowed to vote renders the popular vote null and void as far as I'm concerned, And the electoral college keeps the country from being a banana republic in a state of constant civil war.
    Off topic, But I might as well share my opinion since I can't figure out how to answer your question.

• lol debates are fun I always win

• Question?

• In this case, indeed. Degrees don't mean crap. As a professor once said "Having a masters degree doesn't make somebody right, it just makes them qualified to speak on the subject".

• your argument about the electoral college being designed in the 1700s and therefor irrelevant is also to suggest that the constitution should thereby be rendered moot.

and he's correct, its not a democracy... its a representative republic. your assertion that we removed power from people is a falsity as people never truly had it.

• A lot of people do it, I've found.

• 21d

I moreso agree with him, but I don't think he should have blocked and especially not in that way. lol
      They always like to insult before blocking too.

• If you can't handle "unpopular opinion", don't complain that you failed.