Have you lost someone to suicide?

Or do you know of someone who lost someone to suicide? If so, how did you or that person cope with it? How long till you/they got over it?

Sorry if this is too dark for some people.

P. S.: I hope GAG doesn't delete this...

What Girls Said 16

• My boyfriend lost his father to suicide. It happened when he was quite young and by then, his mother and father had already separated and he was raised primarily by his mother so he doesn't really remember that much about his dad and it doesn't affect him very much.

• Gag better NOT, I am On this Hot Spot.
    Yes, a Few Family and Friends that Don't go Away on any Given day. xx

• 21d

Thanks for the like and you still Good in the Hood. xx

• hey. this is a real painful thing to have to deal with. fortunately i haven't lost anyone close to me but one of my close friends lost her mother this way. it was very unexpected because everything seemed to be going fine. my fiend didn't cope well at all in the beginning and even now a year later some things are still difficult for her. she is able to function and didn't stop studying but started smoking a lot of weed to help her through it all.

i think that everyone will deal with this differently, and there really is no time - frame. i don't think you ever get over the pain, you just learn to live with it. and over many years you choose to focus on the positives and happiness that life will bring. for my friend, it was her baby niece.

• I am curious... why are you asking this, OP?
    I haven't lost somebody to suicide and I hope I'll never will. It would be the most painful thing, you know? Losing somebody... and losing them this way. Terrible. I had suicidal thoughts though... but the love for may family and the thought that I would hurt them made me reconsider my choice and I am so happy I didn't do it. Now I became positive... I became another person.:)

• 21d

I'm curious to know how people can cope with this and how long it takes to accept it and move on.

• yes, i have; survivors' guilt sucks, and i hope that no one here ever has to know how it feels.

(the end of this month marks 4 years since he's been gone, and i'll never forget.)

• 21d

How long did it take you to get over it, and how did you cope with it?

• 21d

Don't ever feel guilty for him taking his life.
      I've attempted to take my own life twice and its quite possible that even after getting help, that is how I'll eventually go.
      I suffer from major depressive disorder, ADHD, and ASD,
      There was nothing you could do.
      Depression is a a disease and just like any other disease, with treatment most live, but some no matter what you do will still die.
      IT. WAS. NOT. YOUR. FAULT.
      As a suicide attempt survivor I know what I'm talking about

• 21d

my logical side is aware of that; still, no amount of logic can take away from how awful it feels.

i have my share of mental-health issues, and my friend's death opened up many doors i'd rather have kept closed. as a child/teen, i attempted suicide many times and thought it was how i'd ultimately meet my end. but, after being the one left behind, i knew i couldn't bring myself to inflict that same pain on the people i love.

it's not always easy. but i manage.

• No I haven't. I never heard of anyone committing suicide.

• 21d

thats very fortunate.
      Sadly, I'm the person I know who has attempted suicide

• Yes. I didn't get over it. I wear a bracelet that he gave me for my 12th birthday still. You won't get over it; you'll learn to live with it in front of people and you may still break down from time to time after you learn to control it. It's terrible. Left me traumatized I get visions and heat his voice and have nightmares and it's been 2 years.

• My dad committed suicide when I was a little kid. It's not something I've ever gotten over because I've always wondered why. It was hard enough growing up without a father, but it was harder once I learned how he had died.

• I takes time and leaning on God and Jesus, that is the only way I was able to get through it and find joy later on in life, and yes it was someone very close to me.

• 21d

Sorry about that :(
      How long did it take you to get over it?

• 21d

Thank you :)

• no, but I did to murder

• I'm sure everyone has either lost or knows someone who has lost a friend or family to suicide.

• No, not yet. Hope never do.

• No and I hope that I never do

• Nope but I know a few people who tried to kill themselves

• A friend of mine from high school killed herself.

• 21d

Sorry about that.
      How long did it take you to get over it? What about her family?

• 21d

Did it hurt when you tried to kill yourself?

• 21d

No, i just passed out, the next couple days were hell though. What hurt was what put me in the mindset to want to do that, that was the real pain.

• I've tried to kill myself. But never lost anyone nor know anyone who did the same

• 21d

What did your parents do after you tried killing yourself? How differently did they treat you?

• 21d

I only live with my mother. I guess it was hard for her since we never really spoke about it. She came stay with me the night when it happened and didn't say a word about it. After that when we got back home she was all over me all the time. She wouldn't leave things that I could use to hurt myself around the house. I know she was scared, but she never said a thing.

• 21d

Please don't ever, you are loved, God and Jesus showed me there is a better way

What Guys Said 13

• I lost a friend from high school, Ray, last year in a double suicide with a girl that he knew but I personally didn't. I'm not going to act like I was his best friend, but I talked with him often enough online because him and I shared similar political interests.
    Unfortunately Ray had been battling depression his whole life, and in the last couple of weeks leading up it, it had worsened. I didn't know what was going on since we mostly just facebook chatted every other week or so.

I'm still saddened by it, but I did move on within a week or so. It's just a terrible situation for Ray, his family, and friend's, and the girl, her family , and friends.

I was told freshman year of high school that you can expect at least one person per year to take their own lives, and unfortunately throughout high school that was true, and two of them were people I knew.

• 21d

Sorry to hear that. Do you know how long it took for the family to get over it? Or how did they cope with it?

• 21d

They still aren't over it from what I know. I believe he was their only son.

• No but I actually did know people in real life who had. But they were terrible people and bullies I actually enjoyed it when they killed themselves. As dark and twisted as that might sound oh well I don't give a shit.

• My grandpa's biological sister committed suicide. He got separated from her in the adoption system as a child and her adoptive family basically hid her from him. It turns out she had only lived a few miles away from him his entire life.

That, coupled with being a mortician and handling horribly mangled and rotting bodies all the time, left him with a lot of issues.

• Too many: six at least. :(

• I was in the mindset to attempt it myself long ago... it was scary let me tell you. like i was feeling hopeless and worthless and even called the hotline... i had thought of how i would do it too... but thankfully i got out of it. took awhile though

• 21d

and i also had an aunt who did it with carbon monoxide in the car. she was paralyzed from the waist down from an accident and for awhile there she tried to live on, but i guess she felt herself too much of a burden and killed herself, left her two kids without a mother

• 21d

Does someone know about your attempt? If so, how did they treat you after that?
      Also, how long did it take you, or others, to get over your aunt's suicide?

• 21d

I only told my closest friend about it, and no he didn't treat me different.

I wasn't as affected by my aunts suicide mainly cause i just wasn't as close to her... but it was still sad. I'm not sure how long it took the immediate family members to get over it... maybe they never have. i never ask them cause it would just feel to awkward for me :/

• Not me,
    My grandmother lost her sister way before I was born.
    When it comes to the people in my life whose likely to go that way, it'd be me.
    I've attempted twice, and on occasion still think about killing myself.
    A couple nights ago for example

• 21d

Do your parents know about your suicide tendencies?

• 21d

How do they treat you?

• 21d

Well, They can be kind of on eggshells as of late.
      They ended up telling me to give them my belt knife, but that is standard advice when someone has suicidal tendencies. It pissed me off because I actually really like that knife. Its a good solid belt knife, got a sheath, razor sharp, easy to hold. I actually just got it back.
      My dad had made plans to teach me and my brother to shoot this summer something long over due but I don't know if he trusts me with a rifle ( I mean come on, I know where his M1911 is kept and I know there is a box of still live ammo with it. If I was going to use a legal gun I'd have done instead of attempting to slit my wrists on two separate occasions.)

• It's likely I have. We haven't made contact in years and around the last time we talked, she was really close to doing it.

• Well my mom's step mom killed her self with pills way before I was born

• 21d

Do you know how long it took her to get over it, or how she coped with it?

• 20d

No she really doesn't talk about it much it was hard on her but once the secound one came who was worse she forgot about it

• No, and I hope I never do. But in this sad world, it may happen.

• No, I never did #fortunately

• Yes i have, 4 years, a girl i knew

• Never, thankfully.
    Someone I went to high school with did, but I did not know him.

• Almost myself, a few times. But nobody outside myself, except friends of friends and family of family.

• 21d

How did they cope with that person's death? How long did it take them to get over it?

• 21d

One person was my boss/cousin's friend, and he said he never completely got over it.

Another was the cousin of a different cousin of mine, and my cousin in this case didn't seem terrifically affected during and after the funeral. We even went to dinner and talked about other things after it.

But having been suicidal for so long, it's not easy for me to see why other people would be bothered by a suicide, or by death at all. It's something I have to work on. Anyway, this is an interesting question.