Does the father of a unborn child have the right to know the sex of the baby?

Just out of interest?

For example the mother doesn't want to know and doesn't want the father to know, can the father still find out anyway? like can the doctor or midwwife still tell him anyway

What Guys Said 13

• It's his baby too, if he wants to know they can tell him.

• 22d

Legally though... He can't find out until the baby is born, the baby's medical records are tied to the mother's so she'd have to give consent for him to access it.

However on a more personal level if he wants to know and she doesn't... she should still give him consent. It's his baby too and he doesn't have to tell her after finding out.

• 22d

i know i agree i was just wondering where the law stands on it but yeah she should let him find out if he wants as they should deside as a couple is the want to know or not

• women act as though the baby doesn't belong to the man just because he didn't carry it. OF COURSE he has the right to know. the baby is his just as much as it is hers. women have taken this "its my body" thing waaaaaaaayyyy too far

• 22d

i am not disagreeing with you but i just want to know what the law was on this

• 22d

my bad... im not sure about that aspect of it.. maybe we'll get lucky and somebody with a background in law will show up here

• 22d

yeah lol

• There is a (definite ) way to for a ( married) man to , by law find out and determine custody awaiting 8-9 weeks after conception. Thing is he has to be married to the mother. The other thing about midwifes , he can still get around that because of Fedral laws that forbid hostpitals to announce a patients privacy do not exist federally for mid wife's.

• Yes, even though the woman goes through the pregnancy and birthing the father also has rights to the baby, and is in it equally, unless the guy is a scumbag or loser. Both parents are equally important to the baby no matter how much people try to claim otherwise

• Uh, why not lol

• 22d

as it is not the fathers body

• 22d

So? He's still partly responsible for its creation

• 22d

still not his body so Unfortunately for the father, while the child is still a fetus, its medical history is part of the mother's medical history, and therefore is not accessible to the father unless the mother has given permission for him to access her medical records so unless she consent they cannot tell him anything

• Can't you just cover your ears while they tell the guy what the sex of the baby is?

• Ofcourse he does is this a serious question? He is the guy which caused woman to be pregnant, show some respect.

• 22d

i am not saying do not tell him i was just wondering where the law stands on the subject is all

• 22d

Propably law will be stand with woman.. everyone is feminine in this god damn world nowadays girl hah! D;

• 22d

i agree with you by the way the father should know if he is supportive and not a danger

• Um... yeah, he does - as long as he's the father.

• 22d

but i was wondering about what the law says about it is the mother says he cannot know

• 22d

i agree

• 22d

Just do what's right.

• I don't think so.

• 22d

why do you say that

• If they are married there's no legal way to prevent it. Otherwise what the mother says goes.

• Technically as soon as the baby is born, he can go to court to get custody of the baby.

• 22d

i am talking about a couple like say they are in the room having the gender scan for the unborn baby and the midwife asks if they want to know the gender and the father says yes but the mother says no who do they have to legally listen to

• 22d

He has a moral right to know. I couldn't care less about the law in this case. You also have a moral obligation to tell him.

• 22d

not disagreeing with you i was just wondering what the law was on it

• Yes... the guy can ask the doctor privately

• 22d

but can the doctor tell him if the mother says he cannot know

• 22d

No.. his kid equally.

• Yes, he can know if he wants to know. He is supposed to have equal rights isn't he?

• 22d

i do not think so not until the baby is born as i am talking about an unborn baby

• 22d

What you should really think about is, how good is your relationship really, when this early on, you already don't care about what the father wants. If you don't want to consider how he feels now, then don't be surprised later on when he doesn't care about what you want either. It's not a good way to start off having a family.

• 22d

i never said i would not let him know he can find out if he wants be my guess but if do not want to know he better not tell me lol i was just wondering where the law stands on this

What Girls Said 11

• If the mother doesn't want to know but the father does, then the father can be told. Stuff like that happens pretty regularly, only one parent being informed of the sex.

• 22d

but say the mother does not want him to know can they still tell him

• 22d

The baby isn't considered a patient, the mother is, they couldn't give out her information.

It'd be like if a woman and her partner were having difficulty getting pregnant and she got suspicious and phoned the GP to check his medical records to see if he'd had a vasectomy. See, the vasectomy does affect her and you would think she had a right to know because it's her future too, the same way the baby's sex is relevant to the father and you'd think he should know. BUT in this case, the man is the patient and no matter how relevant it is to his wife, the doctors are not able to give out confidential information regarding a patient.

• 22d

i was not disagreeing with you i was just wondering is all

• The father has the right to know, if she wants it to be a surprise then they should talk about it but if he really wants to know he should be able to and keep it a surprise for her. Her stopping him from knowing is simply her being selfish and controlling.

• I would say, yes :) absolutely. Just because I don't want something, doesn't mean my partner can't have it. Legally, I don't know the laws for something like that, I've never been pregnant.

• I'm pretty sure they can.

• 22d

oh i was asking as in legally can the midwife tell him if the mother does not consent to the father knowing

• 22d

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they can. Unless the father's not involved with the baby... then I don't know.

• I don't think so. Not without the mothers consent. The woman is the doctors patient and not permitted to discuss her diagnosis with others.

• 22d

really why is that as he is the father of the baby and the baby is a patient too

• 22d

Yea but that's really shit that he can't even find that out

• 22d

@Touchmehxx i agree but that is the law unfortunately

• absolutely.

• 22d

say the mother did not consent to the father knowing can they still tell him or not

• 18d

Yes! Justice!

• 18d

yeah his ex is so angery lol

• That's up to whoever knows to decide like the prenatal doc or whatever, I'm sure if the mom doesn't want others to know they won't tell under confidentiality

• The father can know if he wants
    if the mother doesn't wanna know then he would simply not tell her

• 22d

i was talking as in legally can the midwife tell him if the mother says he cannot know the gender

• 22d

even then he can know. He has that right.

• 22d

Technically the doctors/nurses can't, but anyone else can.

• I believe he has tha right yes

• 22d

but dose he have that right legally if the mother says no to him knowing

• 22d

i was wodering that too it is ok if you do no know

• 22d

wondering

• He helped create the baby. Its dumb to withhold such information

• 22d

i agree i was just wondering where the law stands on the subject

• Yes. If he wants to they'll tell him quietly

• 22d

i mean by law can they tell him without the mothers consent

• 22d

Contractions sort of feel like the worst period pains you'll ever have in your life. It's the same muscles, so makes sense they feel so similar. So yea, just like really really REALLY fucked up period pains, but it takes over your whole body not just belly.
      Your stomach feels really tight with each one too, and feels like your body is pushing the baby out itself.
      Tbh, i started natural birth but ended up having an emergency c section (hours into it all) because the baby heart rate was dropping because she was in distress.
      But, I've asked loads of women before I had my baby, and all Bar 1 said that crowning pain was nothing compared to the contractions because that part is over very quickly.
      So yea, there's risks of tearing and things like that, but apparently it's not too bad. Some who've had tearing with one baby and C section with another say c section is the worst, but even c section recovery isn't too bad, so it should be fine I think.

• 21d

thank you for shareing what it was like and i hope i do not tear as i want a natual birth but i do wonder if my boyfriend can handle it like you know with seeing down there lol was your babys father in the room for the birth