Do you believe ADHD is made up?

I have ADHD and struggled with it for a lot of years. There is factual evidence that ADHD exist but I've come across a lot of people who say it's just made up. I'm not looking to debate but I'm curious to see the poll results.

• I believe it's made up
  • I believe it's real
  • Other.. will explain on comments below

What Girls Said 14

• It's not made up, but, there are at least 3 or 4 fake bullshit diagnoses for every 1 genuine diagnosis. Probably more.

The fake bullshit diagnoses are motivated by...
    ...(1) teenagers and/or adults who just want legal speedballs,
    or
    ...(2) parents who have failed at getting their kids to practice basic self-discipline and self-restraint through *actual parenting*, and who therefore opt to drug them into sweet oblivion instead.

Srsly, this is one of those things where the shitty 90% make the good 10% look bad ahah.
    On the other hand, that's not entirely a bad thing, because at least the current environment (a) makes it easier/more likely that REAL ADHD will be properly diagnosed, AND (b) lowers the price of the drugs, through economies of scale.

• I have One member of my own Family and even an Ex- Boyfriend who Has... ADD and Yes, there is Also ADHD, more of the Hyper kind.
    With the Right Meds, One can Lead a very Normal Life of less Strife.
    Good luck and takes a Special person to Admit this Here, dear. xx

• Well it's been proven to exist so there is little getting around the fact that it's actually a thing. I think that people dismiss it because it may not have symptoms as "hardcore" as something like bipolar disorder or OCD. Just unlicensed opinions from folks who haven't done their research.

• There will always be people who doubt the existence of mental disorders. People who think depression, ADHD, bipolar etc are just made up. It's definitely not. It's very much real :)

• I believe it's real.

• It's real but I think it may be over diagnosed.

• I believe it's real but inappropriately diagnosed most of the time.

• it's real

but a lot of people make it up and with many doctors being so casual in diagnosing and prescription (proper typically diagnosis requires a full day of testing), it doesn't surprise me a lot of people think it's fake

• I believe its real but a lot of people do make it up and its said so casually that it doesn't surprise me that people dont think its real.

• It is real, but I don't like that people use it as an excuse to behave like shit.

• It may be real but it is definitely over diagnosed.

• it is real because i was diagnosed with it when i was little it is attention defisite hyperactivity disorder

• It's not made up. I have it.

• It's a real thing

What Guys Said 20

• Its real and its stupid to say its fake considering there are actual differences in the brain.
    I've got it rather severely, I can barely function without medication.
    To the point where i can't focus long enough to even play video games even when i want to.
    In children with ADHD, there is a general reduction of volume in certain brain structures, with a proportionally greater decrease in the volume in the left-sided prefrontal cortex.[103][107] The posterior parietal cortex also shows thinning in ADHD individuals compared to controls.[103] Other brain structures in the prefrontal-striatal-cerebellar and prefrontal-striatal-thalamic circuits have also been found to differ between people with and without ADHD.[103][105][106]
    Neurotransmitter pathways[edit]
    Previously it was thought that the elevated number of dopamine transporters in people with ADHD was part of the pathophysiology but it appears that the elevated numbers are due to adaptation to exposure to stimulants.[108] Current models involve the mesocorticolimbic dopamine pathway and the locus coeruleus-noradrenergic system.[102][103][104] ADHD psychostimulants possess treatment efficacy because they increase neurotransmitter activity in these systems.[103][104][109] There may additionally be abnormalities in serotoninergic, glutamatergic, or cholinergic pathways.[109][110][111]

• I don't believe it's made up, but it is *VASTLY* over diagnosed.

It is often done by teachers who just can't handle kids who are very active or very inquisitive.

In my 19 years of teaching, I've had maybe a dozen kids that I believe really had ADHD. This includes all the kids I've advised and tutored. Now, I've had hundreds who were diagnosed, but I have to tell you, in most cases I would never have known they "had" it if I wasn't told. In the overwhelming majority of kids who were diagnosed, I didn't agree with the diagnoses.

• Doesn't science prove it is real easily? It might be over-hyped, but brain scans show it defiantly exists.

• Well, it exists - but I don't think it is what its said to be. I think its lackluster ability to focus, concentrate and release once energy and drive (aka valve it correctly).

It essentially is a social underdevelopment in certain areas - but I wouldn't necessarily call it an illness.

• I believe it's real.. I went with ADHD undiagnosed as
    a teenager growing up.. Had short attention span
    was always Hyperactive , couldn't sleep at night
    and now it turned to Bipolar disorder as a Adult
    this can happen in some cases but not all.

• I think ADHD is less of a disorder and more of an issue about self discipline.

It's something that should be "cured" using means other than drugs.

• 18d

Wow, you're 20 years old and you've already completed your psychiatry residency? If you haven't done so, what makes you think you're qualified to say that ADHD just a lack of self discipline?

• 17d

And these aren't unique to me. Pretty much anyone who stops taking these pills and actually works to better themselves as a person by catching themselves doing bad things and eating properly, can do it with success. Do you realize how little we actually know about the human brain? You don't need more than a high school education to see that. Take antidepressants for example, someone basically noticed that when people were happy, there was a lot of (lets call it) chemical A and so the very smart, very intelligent scientists decide to produce a shit ton of it synthetically, surround it with a ton of other chemicals which no normal person can pronounce and say it's medicine. Meanwhile no one really understands how the brain actually works. It would be like if the rev counter in my car wasn't working and instead of calibrating it (or something) I just pull some wire that after puling it seems to make the one part work a little better but now the whole car is on the fritz. It's just stupid.

• 17d

And I'm not trying to say it's not a disorder of some kind, but I believe that a majority of the time, it's a kid with shit parents who are impatient or don't understand how to teach a child and that even if it weren't that, if the patient had a real interest in bettering his or herself, they could do it, it would just take this thing called effort. You can't buy it but you make it for yourself. Now I know this is really confusing to you because you probably never made anything useful to anyone in your entire life but yea, it's possible for YOU to go through this thing called effort.

• Its a real thing for me, I know few person in my life who are struggling with ADHD. They are usually too hyperactive, its like.. damn dude just calm the fuck down ! But some of them aren't hyperactive and they have problem about being forgetful mostly.

• I believe that it's real
    I also believe that most people are misdiagnosed with it

I remember in grade 1 my teacher recommend my parents put me on ritalin because I "was too hyper and always asking question"... I shit you not...

• I think it's real, i've seen the difference in kids with it. Harder to tell in adults.

• ADHD is real... just over-diagnosed in modern times.

• I have a friend who has it. Not sure why people say it's made up.

• I'd say real, but definitely abused by shit parents.

• It's very real

• 18d

I mean you can scan their brains and see the difference for yourself

• its not made up, i have ADHD

• Illuminati mate.

Walk it off

• No I don't think it's made up.

• I know its real.

• honestly at this point I believe so many things are made up
    not all of it but a good portion

• as long as you don't believe it exists, you good.

• I think adhd is form of autism
    I have another form of autism
    it is not made up

• 19d

Interesting take on it. Why do you think that?

• 18d

All I've read is that some people think it's related. Might have similar traits that overlap but I don't think they anywhere near the same. My mom has taught special Ed and I've helped her in her class plenty of times. People with autism are almost inherently awkward in social situations. People with ADHD might have have trouble in social situations because they can't focus in on conversation sometimes but that's all it stems from.

• 18d

as I said different forms
      means trouble with different things