Are you in the top ten smartest or dumbest states?

Also is anyone suprised that Mississippi is only the second dumbest?
https://www.thestreet.com/story/12712489/20/the-10-dumbest-states-in-america.html
And for anyone who thinks this study is biased.
Studies indicate a corelation between social conservatism and Low IQ
http://www.ibtimes.com/people-low-iq-tend-be-socially-conservative-new-study-401470
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/millennial-media/201304/do-racism-conservatism-and-low-iq-go-hand-in-hand
I'm in the Smartest state.
Which makes sense considering three of the best universities in the world and within forty miles of me.
MIT and Harvard and BU

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't even have to look, I know I'm in one of the worst. Wait! I'm not. Yay.

I found these, oh joy! If only I could drop my links in a comment to the racist hound on here that blocked me.
    "Hodson and Busseri (2012) found in a correlational study that lower intelligence in childhood is predictive of greater racism in adulthood, with this effect being mediated (partially explained) through conservative ideology. They also found poor abstract reasoning skills were related to homophobic attitudes which was mediated through authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact."
    "What this study and those before it suggest is not necessarily that all liberals are geniuses and all conservatives are ignorant. Rather, it makes conclusions based off of averages of groups. The idea is that for those who lack a cognitive ability to grasp complexities of our world, strict-right wing ideologies may be more appealing. Dr. Brian Nosek explained it for the Huffington Post as follows, โ€œideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simple solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies.โ€

www.sciencedirect.com/.../S0160289609000051
    http://pss.sagepub.com/content/23/2/187.short

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 14

• I'm from Virginia which, according to that list, is the "6th smartest."

I don't buy into these lists though. "Smart" is relative. There are plenty of people who don't have college degrees but that doesn't mean they're stupid. People are adept at different things.

Doctors are considered universally intelligent but put a doctor in a tractor and see if he has a clue about farming and all the necessary things that it implies. How many lawyers know anything about HVAC? How many businessmen can identify car troubles and fix it? Everyone has different qualities and things they are smart about. I don't believe anyone must have a college degree to be intelligent, which is what this list is based on. Similarly, I've met tons of people with college degrees who have no idea how to think for themselves, have no common sense, and can barely string a coherent sentence together.

"Everybody is a genius but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid."

• 4th Smartest: Connecticut

% of Population With Bachelor's Degrees or Higher: 37.2%

Median Household Income (2013): $67,098 (5th)

Average SAT Score (2013): 1532

Average IQ and Ranking: 103.1 (9th)

Connecticut's personal income per capita was the highest in the nation last year at $60,847 while median household income was $67,276. Connecticut also has the second largest gap in the U. S. between the average incomes of the top 1% of the state's residents and the bottom 99%. The state's gross state product in 2012 was $229.9 billion. Connecticut is home to some of the oldest and most prestigious private schools and universities in the country, including Yale and Wesleyan Universities

• Georgia, and I believe at one point we were 5th from bottom...
    But I was always in thr gifted and magnet programs.

• 19d

and I have a dumb phone...
      *the

• 19d

our last dog died two years ago and the whole family still misses her

• 19d

I'm sorry! My dad still misses our lab we lost in 2008, even though now he and my chihuahua mini pin mix are attached at the proverbial hip.

• Smartest state for me too. but don't forget BC, Tufts, Wellesley, Brandeis, Emerson, Berklee College of Music and Amhurst among many, Many others close to you.

• 19d

A good friend of the family of mine actually studied music at berklee college of music

• I'm in the third smartest state.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/vqGeMsr.gif

• neither - i also noticed that the most of the smartest states are concentrated in the northeast. ivy league?

• I see.

So you have to live in an over taxed hyper expensive place to be smart.

Seems legit.

I'm in the 10th dumbest.

#NoStateIncomeTax

I'm happy. ๐Ÿ‘

• 19d

oh please,
      We go to New Hampshire to shop

• 19d

I just didn't see the correlation to the question is all. I know what your getting at.

• 19d

@akadatank44 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Top ten, went to college in another top ten.

• Didn't see Georgia but it's probably natural.

• Neither, but I always noticed that the Southeast is fuck up. My home city is Seattle and there are many smart people in the Seattle area.

• My state isn't listed.

• New York.
    9th smartest.

• I was born and lived in New York for a time, that is in the top 10 list.

• Why are conservatives stupid?

• 19d

Or should the question be why are stupid people conservative?

• 19d

@JenSCDC why are stupid people conservative?

What Guys Said 13

• Incoming - I am not in the states - I will just slowly back out before the triggered arrive - In fairness I would be surprised if there was any basis for this, a lot of it could be opportunity for further education.

• 19d

True my state might be the smartest because both Harvard and MIT are here and are generally considered to be one of if not the top university in the world and Boston University is in the top one hundred

• 19d

Not to mention Amherst and Williams, two of the top three small colleges.

• Nope but I'm fine with that considering my state supplies the rest of the country with vital goods like wheat, baked good and salt as well as important manufacturing from one of the best and biggest companies in the world that do work all over the world.

• University location and smartest states don't always correlate. Myself, being an alumni of BU and Georgia Tech is a good example. New Hampshire doesn't necessarily have the best universties, but like many of the states listed, you have high tech jobs which brings more educated people, better schools for their kids and in many cases higher property taxes.

• "brain drain" is a real thing. The really smart people tend to migrate to areas, where there is more economic opportunity.

• Fuck that click bait shit. Can someone just give me the list? 😑

• Nope, nope and nope.

• Not in the dumbest, didn't check the smartest.

Missouri FTW

• Not on the list. List is skewed anyways with the snartest. Of course the smartest ones have ivy league schools.

• Nope.

• -im in the smartest state
    -i also make irrational questions where i say i will kill myself in x amount of years

• Yet with all that combined intelligence the progressive party degenerated into a cesspool of SJW lunacy that focused on issues like which bathroom a tranny could piss in more then a stagnant economy where millions are out of work :o

• 19d

There's no reason you can't care about both civil rights and the economy.

• I'm from the uk bitchessssss

• Based on the percentages with bachelor's degrees. And based on IQ, the whole of the USA, even the state of Massachusetts, is pretty pathetically low. Especially when bearing in mind that one's IQ is increased by roughly 2pts per year of schooling, and potentially by far more at higher standards of education (such as those available across most of Europe, North America and the Far East)- and we also know that receiving a formal education can accelerate the rate of cognitive development by as much as a third. As such, the average IQ of 104.3 in Massachusetts is actually astonishingly low, especially when the average person in Massachusetts has had more than 15 years of full-time education, at the highest standards in the world.

To put that into context, when one removes the IQ increase provided by the duration and standards of the average person's education there, that'd mean that the average person in Massachusetts, like yourself, would have an IQ lower than 50. In stark contrast, when one accounts for the duration and standards of the average person's education, the smartest nation in the world is also the nation with the lowest life expectancy in the world, Sierra Leone, with an education-adjusted IQ of 85. As such, if they had access to your levels of education, the average Sierra Leonean's IQ would be expected to stand at around 130-140. Ergo, being the most privileged doesn't make you the smartest. And being less privileged doesn't make everyone else dumber.

• 19d

Some long answer

• 19d

Your data may be good, but you sure don't have a clue how to use it. Any idiot can come up with a model that will predict an IQ of 50 for a population if they lack the education they actually have, but it takes a special type of idiot to believe that it's a good model.

• 19d

@JenSCDC Actually, it accounts for most of the variations in the world's IQ figures. The average uneducated IQ for the world as a whole, when taking into account the IQ increase provided by the duration and standards of the average person's education in respective countries, works out at 56; and aside from Sierra Leone and a couple of other outliers like Ethiopia, every single other nation in the world has an education-adjusted IQ which deviates from that by less than 10 IQ points. Which IMHO, proves that it's a good model; because it effectively proves that no racial or ethnic groups are inherently intellectually superior or inferior to any others.