Told my boyfriend I'm moving far away, and I feel like a douche. Am I?

Ever since I was 14 I've wanted to move to Alaska, I talked about doing it after college and moving their for a few years until a year and a half ago when I met my boyfriend. I put the plan on hold and tried to not think about it, but recently the Stars have seemingly started aligning for me to go. (My old roommate from college is getting stationed there for army, and my best friend from elementary school is wanting to move up there with me.)
I started weighing my options and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to go. I finally decided that I was going to go no matter what, because if I didn't I know I would regret it for the rest of my life. I know this isn't a cool situation for him, but I feel if the situations were reversed I'd at least understand that this was something he had to do.

Opinions?

Update, we broke up today 😰

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's something you been dreaming of for that long, then you have every right to jump at the opportunity. I don't think you should let the chance pass you by. Of course, it's not the best situation for your boyfriend but ultimately, if he loves you, he will want you to do what is best for YOU.

Are you planning on moving there permanently or is it more of an extended visit? I mean, you could always attempt the long-distance thing but unless he plans on moving there too, the relationship probably will not work. I'm sure he's upset but if this is what you have to do, I don't think it makes you a "douche." Sometimes we have to be a little selfish in life and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

• Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll be moving there for a minimum of a year and a maximum of ~5 I think.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 4

• You are NOT wrong for pursuing your dreams. If he cares about you, he needs to want what makes you happy, not be selfish.

• why not bring your boyfriend with you?

• Do it, my friend. Pursue your dreams while you are still young

• Do it!!!

What Guys Said 0