Do people really believe that Christmas is a Christian holiday?

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/celebration-christmas-pagan-ritual/
^^^^^^ facts! Glorious facts! There's nothing in the Bible that says Christians have to celebrate Christmas or that Jesus was born on December 25th. According to scientists, Jesus was most likely born in the Spring. But since December 25th is so close, Christians decided to celebrate his birthday on that day, and let the pagans do their thing. I don't care if Christians celebrate Jesus's birthday on December 25th but I hope they know the origin. Also Christmas was originally called, Saturnalia.

What Guys Said 23

• www.catholic.com/blog/jon-sorensen/why-december-25

The Reason for Choosing December 25

Although the date of Christ’s birth is not given to us in Scripture, there is documented evidence that December 25 was already of some significance to Christians prior to A. D. 354. One example can be found in the writings of Hyppolytus of Rome, who explains in his Commentary on the book of Daniel (c. A. D. 204) that the Lord’s birth was believed to have occurred on that day:

For more reference: bulldogcatholic.org/is-christmas-a-pagan-holiday/

• December 25th was the day of a pagan celebration. Christianity ain't pure at all, History shows us that, once it fell into Roman hands they adapted it to them reality, it was even made legal for political reasons and all concils that the Church did over the centuries only show human hands acting, I can't see anything divine.

So, it doesn't surprise me at all. But whether we like it or not, Christmas is already part of our culture and our culture has a great influence of Christianity.

• I have heard that before about Jesus' birth being in Spring. I dont even really understand it and Im Christian. I mean I have no problem celebrating it December 25th but they shouldn't make it all about that. Some churches and Christians make it all about that where they dont talk about Santa Claus, Reindeer, Lights, Ornaments, or even put a tree up because they believe its "anti-Christian". There are even some christians who dismss the day altogether because of it being a original pagan holiday much like most donot celebrate Halloween. I think pretty much just let others celebrate it how they want to. I just think them doingit that way takes a lot of fun out of the holiday.

• 22d

Oh god that just makes this worse. Putting up lights and decorations makes things better and more Christmas-y.

• 22d

Thankfully the Churches I have went to did do Santa Claus and decorate with trees and everything as well did most of the congregation. However, The only thing that kinda got me off was when we would go to the nursing home caroling we were only to sing"Christianized Carols" like Joy To The World, Silent Night, Away in a Manger etc.. Which those are standard carols I can go for. But its when you change the words to Jingle Bells and We Wish you a Merry Christmas to fit them when its just no. can't sing Rudolph or Frosty the Snowman

• 22d

So my thing is they really try to suck the fun out of it

• They don't even know what year Jesus was born (it's actually anywhere from 2020-2023 years ago, not 1AD since the guy that decided to number the years in the 500's basically took an educated guess and backtracked 5 centuries), never mind the day. It's just dropped it in the Winter Solstice celebration otherwise no one would have cared back then and Christianity would probably have never taken off. Today that could pass for Trademark infringement and lawyers would be on it. As far as Christmas being a holiday few really care anymore. If truth-in-advertising applied it would be called Retail-Warehouse-Clearance day or Retail Profit Day and has been that way for over a century once store owners realized they can do to Christmas what Christmas did to the pagans; use the holiday for free advertising and an excuse to sell shit at inflated prices.

• Yup! And I ain't even mad 😎

• bitter athiests as always want to find a way to ruin the fun for everyone and show them how superior they are and how dumb everyone else is for believeing in god.

everything you stated is already known not a secret to anyone, the dates in the bible dont exactly exist ( some not all ) since they are mereley speculations not accurate dates cause calendars weren't popular 2000 years ago.

i suggest you focus on your own life, if you dont believe thats fine no one cares just stop trying to shame those who do believe and are seeing it affect their life in a good way.

• 22d

I felt like pissing off some Christians so I made this question. It worked and it gives me such a sadistic smile when I think of it. And no, there are Christians who truly believe they came up with Christmas. I'm just stating facts, I don't know why that's bitter. Then again, I'm bitter in general. It's even more bitter that I don't care. I even said I don't care if Christians celebrate Christmas. Your thought process is very black and white.

• 22d

Yup even worse you were respected about it too. But i was just messing with her i havr no life

• 22d

@skykidx1 it's worse that's he was respected about his answer? You would say the same thing if I didn't respect your answer. People bitch about everything.

And whatever makes you feel better.

• It's a Christian holiday that was semi adopted from pagans. Just like nearly all religions things are adopted.

• Christ... Christmas... sounds like a Christian Holiday. It's really a Holiday for the stores though... a money holiday.

• 22d

True, it's very over-commercialized.

• 22d

@Theodorable
      Sounds like...
      Indeed.

• That's indeed also what I learned in school, that 25th of December was somewhat an artificial moment to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
    So it sounds logical that it could originally have been a Roman holiday with a totally different meaning.

• Indeed. The Saturnalia which ended with the Sol Invictus holy day. Winter solstice thus.

• Or Yule, yes it's pagan, and yes we want our holiday back... just kidding, of course you can play along, we're not exclusive like that.

• good thing i´m an atheist xD for me it´s only about meeting my family and having time off work xD i don´t care for the rest.

• saturnalia ended on the 23rd,
    What Christmas was, is an attempt by the church to create a holiday to replace saturnalia so they celebrate jesuses birthday in December instead of April when historians are pretty sure he was born in April.

• Well just because it isn't the exact date doesn't mean that it's not a Christian holiday. The date isn't relevant.

• I don't care lol

• Yea that was just the church trying to get pagans from Gaul on board

• "According to scientists, Jesus's was most likely born in the Spring"

Most likely they say. So the scientists themselves haven't even got proof and they aren't even convinced of their own beliefs. Looks like they're making some decisions themselves and haven't got any reasoning.

• 22d

So because this scientific evidence doesn't align with your views, you're going to deny it?

• 22d

Wow you completely missed my point and I'm not about to explain it again. Go back and try again.

• 22d

You don't need to explain it again. You clearly missed my point. I'm not going to try again as this conversation is pointless if you can't understand what I said.

• I just celebrate Christmas for the presents honestly, and the food, can't forget about the food.

• its a holiday. who cares. nobody cares.

• That sounds about right.

• no its pagan people are just stupid and don't study
    same thing with Easter

• 22d

Yep and Halloween. I was once told by a strong Christian, that Halloween is the devils birthday. -____-

• 22d

Weird. I always thought it was the day of harvest. The celtics used to make masks so it would scare spirits.

• 22d

yes its also a day for witches and harvest rituals from what I hear they sacrifice someone if its not a good year to make things go better ugh occult hate it

• it was originally the pagan holiday of Yule then was later adopted in Europe by the Christians

• 22d

Yule in N Europe, Sol Invictus in Rome, other names for the Winter solstice elsewhere.

• it is a Christian holiday anyway

What Girls Said 4

• Yes actually. That's totally true. The Christians chose the day to compete with the pagan holiday and the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. Chirstmas is a Christian holiday because of what it celebrates. However the day itself has no religous meaning to it. That was purely political. I am a Chirstan but also a history buff.

• Nope. Jesus being born on the 25th is a lie the church made up along with other stuff assuming he existed at all.

• Yep, definitely a religious holiday for us.

• Every Christian knows that already...