Would you amputate a limb to get a bionic one?

So now that 3D printers can build prosthetic limbs and who knows what else, it's not crazy to think that in the future, these prosthetics will end up having incredible features, things that your real arms and legs aren't able to do.

So would you sacrifice one (or more) of your limbs to get a bionic one?

• Yes
  • Only if the prosthetic will be better than my real limb
  • No
  • Other

What Girls Said 10

• I've actually thought about this before.

If the world turns post-apocalyptic or Matrix-esque and the bionic limb has some sort of nuclear-reactive-machine-gun-type thing then absolutely. I'll be the first to get one in order to defend myself. Even better if it comes with attachments and upgrades

Ideally I'd prefer a mecha or partial mecha sleeve or arm that wouldn't require me to amputate an arm in order to get all that cool weapon stuff.

But unless that happens, absolutely not. I'm not going to go about normal life with a phantom limb. (A phantom limb is when you lose a limb or need an amputation, but you still "feel" your missing limb as if it was really there. They usually don't hurt, but it would be weird.) For example, I'm not going to cut off my legs to be the Blade Runner guy from the Olympics. My regular legs will do fine because I don't really have the need to run faster.

• No way.

• You mean like a cyborg? Maybe, bionic limbs have some advantages :P

• I totally would if it works better. :D

• If anyone answers yes, you best believe the assholes would apply for disability and not need it whatsoever. If you're crazy enough to get rid of your own limb (if it's perfectly capable of working), than who knows what other crazy stuff you'd do.

• 15d

I like how applying for disability would be the worst thing that could happen.

• 15d

@bcromartie Sorry I'm not here to please you? In my opinion it is because I am actually disabled. People who fake it take a lot of shit from people who actually are, and that's just not fair.

• no thanks lol

• Never because there is always the chance of it malfunctioning...

• No, I'm good.

• Can I be like cyborg?

• 15d

You'll have to amputate more than an arm or a leg then.

• 15d

🤔 looking back, iron man suits aren't all that far off. I want one of those, keep my limbs

• I'll pass!!

What Guys Said 11

• No. It will just produce ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb ) Ghost Limb. You would have to wire the limb directly into the brain then somehow actually tell the body of it's actual strength and get it recorded correctly.

You ever notice how many (most actually) amputees walk with a limp or seem to move awkwardly? It is due to a lack of (https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Proprioception) proprioception or simply the ability to know where your body is at any given time. It takes a lot to get used to a limb and a fair amount of therapy just to get started using it effectively specifically because it's completely foreign data.

So while it may have a built in lazer and a punch that could crack a tachyon you won't for at least quite some time, be able to even open your fridge reliably.

• Not when it first comes out, but maybe after it has been out for a few years without any serious complications.

• Yes, I would definitely buy myself a new average sized Willy, because I'm hung like a horse and can't have normal intercourses. :'(

• Why would I chop off a perfectly good arm?

• 15d

To get an even better arm.

• 15d

More like a flawed arm that can succumb to rust, be hacked, is vulnerable to computer viruses and makes using barbells awkward and is super expensive to maintain or replace.

I'll keep my arms the way they are.

• Maybe in the year 2062 when it's well past perfected and better than standard human limbs

• ehm, nope

• Does it have like a laser gun in it?

• 16d

Don't know if that would be legal, but I wouldn't be surprised if we reached that level, so maybe.

• Hell no

To quote Deus Ex, fuck those augments

• Having accidentally voted the second option... I regret it.

• no thanks.

• NO, NEVER!