How do I help someone who is using heroin?

my ex is shooting up heroin he showed me his arms on Wednesday i care about him and i don't want him ending up dead because he overdosed on heroin. o don't know what to do i need help please

What Guys Said 8

• You can't. Sorry. I've been in and out of the drug game since I was 14, mostly in. And I can tell you one thing: you can't save anyone who doesn't want to save themselves. You need to think about yourself. Because addicts will use up anyone near them until they're drained dry. Emotionally, financially. Any other way they can.

Tell him that you can't support him doing that and won't have contact with him until he straightens up and gets clean. That is the only way. Addicts are sneaky and clever and very good liars and manipulators. Don't listen to anything he says. Because he will promise you the moon, and you'll believe he can deliver. Maybe you could give him one and only one chance to get himself checked into rehab. But he will manipulate you. The only way you stick around is if he checks into rehab on a time limit. No other options. None. It's either that or nothing.

Reminds me of this episode of House M. D. "People like you, even your actions lie." Somewhere in season 5, I forget.

Yes. It's true that addicts need support from friends and family. But all too often this turns into enabling and coddling. This is not what he needs and will just destroy him faster.

He has to hit his rock bottom. And that's going to require him losing things. Probably a lot of people and things. You cutting him out of your life is getting him one step closer to rock bottom, which is a good thing. The sooner he hits, the less damage will be done.

Simply put, your friend is effectively dead, and you should view him like it. Trust me. I've been addicted to morphine. And when you use opiates, nothing else matters in the world. Nothing. It is like you are dead, and it does kill much of you.

• i think you need to encourage him to stop and seek help. if he doesn't commit to quitting you should probably talk to adults you trust about how to address serious drug addiction.

heroine is sadly usually a one way street. incredibly addictive and has a high rate of fatal overdose.

• Do an intervention and call rehab clincs/addictions centers. He cannot quit unless he wants to so this is really the only option.

Sorry to hear that. I've lost friends to that horrible drug and as much as you tell them to quit because you care, they won't do it unless THEY want to. It's a very tough spot to be in.

• That path leads only to three places:
    Morgue
    Prison
    or
    Rehab

It's not your path, and there's not much you can do, except love him, and hope. I know I am going through something similar.

• Heroin is a strong addiction doctors have studied and have said that a person who has been shooting up dosages of heroin for even a short period of time can be really difficult to get off of. And it's a constant need to help calm down the person and it acts as a stimulate for people who are users of heroin. It can be tough but i would plan an intervention, that's the best option for him.

• Get him some more. On serious note, make sure he calls addictions center and gets consulting. If he doesn't do that well i'd suggest leaving him.

• 18d

we broke up i am just a close friend and i can't leave someone i know who won't get rid of his addiction on his own i need to be by him all the way through even if it drains me emotionally

• You dont.

• You do NOT... Get out of his life.. he will steal for feed his habit. Only he will determine when he has had enough and want to stop. Addicts destroy all those around them.

What Girls Said 4

• You can't. Honestly... Walk away and leave it alone. I worked in a rehab for years and you can't force someone to quit something like that. It takes a constant willingness from them, and the help of medical professionals. Detoxing outside of a physicians care is highly highly dangerous.

• You have to convince him not to use. Ambushing him with an intervention and forcing him into rehab will not help. It will only make him sneaky. My family has a horrible history of drug abuse and as sad as it is, some people just can't be saved. When it gets bad, it's almost as if they died long ago because they are no longer who they were. They just become walking and talking needles.

• get him help call an addictions centre in ur area

• You don't. He's your EX, move on already, dammit.

• 18d

just because he is my ex doesn't mean anything i still care about him a lot and don't want him ending up dead