Why do people say such volatile things?

I mean I understand saying, "I do not like black people." Okay, you don't have to.

But why go so far as to say, "I hate them black niggers! Go to Africa!" as if you understand the economic turmoil of the Caribbean?

It's ridiculous.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol who else read quotes in hillbilly voice

• 21d

I hate blacks! mexicaaaans and chiiiiinese people!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people lack empathy and some people were raised by shitty parents who fucked them up.

I think there's a dehumanization that's a huge part of the equation too. Humans are very tribalistic. We don't identify other humans as one of us. There's always a perceived threat from what we consider groups not part of 'us'. So we seek out primitive identifiers for that 'us' like skin color, religion, political affiliation, etc. instead of getting to know people. It makes us feel safe although none of those things guarantee personality matches or quality of character by any means. The saddest thing is that once we become so entrenched in this mentality, we perceive all differences as a threat. The 'other' is not 'us'. They're inherently less safe in our eyes.

My people and my 'us' are those who are closest to me. They're white, black, gay, straight, liberal, moderate, conservative, religious, non-religious. I just think we all need to be brave enough to reach out. We don't need to draw lines in the sand as long as we're willing to hear each other out. As long as we don't let ignorance triumph over reason we can do anything.

But maybe I'm just a foolish idealist.

What Girls Said 7

• Man, the rage I felt reading that.

If anyone were to say that IRL, there'd be hell to pay. I wouldn't lash out.

No, I'd be super sweet and pick them apart. Take the time to point out the flaws in what they're saying (or more so, allow them to realize it, makes them feel even more ridiculous) and do it publically for all to say.

No raised voices, no anger or hostility from me, in a calm voice.

Smile, say "thanks for a nice conversation" and walk away. I'd feel pretty f--king awesome after that. To be completely honest.

• They say it becuase they don't care. When you see a specific person or group of people as inferior, disposable, worthless, etc., what makes you think they will care how they address you? It also stems from hate, intolerance, ignorance, and other bad things.

• It's gotten worse I'm afraid. I've actually heard them say that to someone while I was across the street. My friend was told to go back to Asia and they also spewed out racial slurs at her. Some people really suck. So much hate inside them, and now they feel it's ok to let it loose.

• Because people are full of hate. And that type of thing is grown over the years so it's just becomes worse and worse.

• Because they have hate in their heart, and are unhappy inside so use excuses to do so to others sometimes, in my opinion

• Just to show how vile and evil they are in their hearts.

• Ignorance and self entitlement

What Guys Said 12

• Typical reasons. Programmed hate. Prejudice. Ignorance. Attempting to harm out of emotional instability. More or less mindless, instinctive opposition to those who are different from you. It happens everywhere. It's just a natural human characteristic to fear those who are different from you. And fear turns to hate.

In the end, it doesn't matter why people are that way. Haters gonna hate. No sense focusing on it. Especially if it was online. Those who mind don't matter; those who matter don't mind.

• People with hate in their hearts want to spread their misery to the rest of the world. They don't want to see anyone happy, they want to bring everyone down to their crappy, inadequate level. They go for the most hurtful thing they can think of in order for it to have the biggest effect. It's important to them that it matters to you, because only by bringing you down can they meet you at eye level.

My take on this is that when people have to try so hard to hurt you then they have already lost. It matters too much to them to affect you, which means that they are owned by you. You are controlling them and what they do. I show my lack of interest in things by not giving a shit about them. If I have to go so far as to hate and try to destroy then I'm clearly obsessed and need to find myself a life.

• It's combination of low self-esteem and stupidity. It's basically self defense. People who feel bad about themselves tend to point fingers to other people, and even better if it's a group of people. And even better if it's popular thing to do, for example being racists towards black people. Why it all started? I don't know, something to do with history but it doesn't matter, if their parents and grand parents did that, and people around them do that, it's easy to join the hate train, without even knowing why. But as long as they have something else to hate, they can feel a little bit better about themselves.

• I don't know. The rhetoric on both sides is way too volatile. Sometimes I think we live in volatile times, but I really think we're just a volatile species and we've been saying outrageous things since we started speaking. If you reply calmly, truly open to a conversation, people might react their outlandish comments. Good luck!

• They are more passionate!

• 22d

How did you even find me?

• 22d

Well, whatever, half the populace has blocked me anyway. So I can't make new enemies so I'll accept your existence.

• 22d

You didn't accept my existence before? :o

• They jelly that you have the softest skin in the world on your face boyo.

• Why would someone not like Black people though... It just doesn't make any sense. AHHHHHH. Racism is the worst.

• Racists tend to be profoundly stupid

• Why not just go to Detroit, It's happy joy joy blacktopia :)
    They have rainbows, unicorns, roller coasters, And endless rivers of malt liquor!!! <3
    It's kind of sad nobody saw the humor in this question lol

• They are assholes.
    Stop letting assholes bother you.

• You have the no idea every race is ridicule, chinese they make the fun of our name.. we are yellow! We chinese and japan accept racist comments, we suffer too...

• 22d

By no means am I saying that racism is contained to any particular group. We should defeat all racists in mortal combat.

• Probably due to racial tensions.