A question for Muslims regarding pork?

I was talking to a Muslim bloke from Iran the other day and we got on to the topic of religion and pork consumption and he told me that the whole 0 Muslims eat pork thing is actually bullshit.

He said the reason he left Iran is because Sharia law enforcement just got too over the top and in fact pork used to be for sale in most shops in Iran and Muslims would buy and eat it.
It wasn't until Sharia law started being fanatically enforced in Iran that it became a rare commodity.

Can anyone back this up?

What Girls Said 4

• I'm not Muslim, but my uncle used to live in Egypt (there's a lot of Muslims there for anyone who doesn't know.) He basically said that Muslims who don't believe in Sharia Law are basically decent people, eat what they want, smoke, and drink. It's mainly the Muslims who believe in Sharia Law who are fanatical about all the crazy rules you hear about.

I work with several Muslims. One from Pakistan does eat pork. One other doesn't, but I don't know where he's from. My Bosnian Muslim friend loves bacon, but she isn't very religious, only because her parents are.

I'd say the whole kosher thing is probably similar to the Jews. Religious zealots follow the rules by the book and people with minimal faith take the book more as guidelines and only follow the rules they like

• 17d

I see. So what he was saying is actually right then. Thanks for answering.

• 17d

I would assume so from what I know about it. My Pakistani coworker also says it's the ones who believe in Sharia Law that are going around killing and beheading people.

Most people don't realize that the most people killed by Muslims are other Muslims due to slightly or hugely different theocracies.

• i know i'm not muslim but i do know Iran was pretty liberal secular country before the 1979 Revolution. i also know of muslims who accidentally ate pork and liked the taste. so i don't think what this guy is saying is too far off.

• We don't eat pork, I don't know what he's saying lmao

• 17d

He's in his 50's. Could be a generational thing because you've grown up with the more fanatical Sharia law

• 17d

No I'm not even religious but it's just common knowledge that we're not supposed to eat it but oh well live and let live.

• 17d

Maybe your parents just brought you up. to take the book more literally

• Ik that they can only eat meat that is halal

What Guys Said 3

• The muslims in Iran are mostly shiite so that probably explains it. Iran used to be a non-religious country before the Islamic revolution happened. The Islamic revolution started to enforce the sharia laws and that's probably why they stopped selling pork there. I guess the non-religious muslims don't mind eating pork even though it is not permitted. Pork is not halal...

• The guy is bullshitting you. I'm not even religious and I don't eat pork. I know the majority of Muslims in Iran are of a different sect so that could have something to do with it.

• 17d

why don't you eat pork if you're not even religious?

• 17d

I don't even know. This is one of the very few things I'm not really sure of honestly. I'm not religious but I try not to stray from religion.

• 16d

same here bro , not religious but i feel guilty for eating it.

• its not in sharia laws, its written in holy Quran that pork is prohibited , but muslims in iran are shiite so i don't know if its ok for shiites to eat pork

• 16d

I think it's more they used to use their brains more as opposed to what is literally written in the book.

• 16d

of course 👍👏