Do you think the equation E=MC2 is wrong?

The equation of E=MC2 is probably the most popular equation in science. So do you think it is 100% correct?

• Yes
  • I don't know
  • No
  • Results
13d I meant E=mc^2

Most Helpful Girl

• Obviously it's correct. It's been proven and re proven millions of times. A huge amount of other maths principles and equations are based on or use this formula in some way.

• 13d

The formula is actually wrong. It has been proven to be incorrect. It is very close to the correct formula and it is still used for approximations.

• 13d

Point taken, good debate. I still have to say though the difference between the 'approximation' and the completely exact result is negligible in most cases.

• 6d

thanks for the mho! 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course, it's not wrong. The over 200,000 Japanese in Hiroshima and Nagasaki who were killed (many of whom were vaporized) in August 1945 can attest to the equation's correctness.

• 13d

by the way, be careful how you ask questions and poll. Almost certainly your poll results are wrong; I mis-voted.

When the original question is:
      "Do you think the equation E=MC2 is wrong?"
      and then you ask:
      "Do you think it is 100% correct?"
      Which question is the poll answering? What does "Yes' mean? What does "No" mean. I voted "No" based on the original question, not the secondary (and opposite) question, yet the equation is correct.

So, be careful in how you ask questions going forward...

• 13d

Yes, that's right. Notice the first formula in that webpage you sent...

galileo.phys.virginia.edu/.../image002.gif

That's it in a nutshell... which is why the equation is right.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think anything in science is ever 100% correct.

• GaG is qualified to answer this

• I have no freaking idea.

• E=mc^2

• The correct equation according to Jon Lajoie is:

E = mc^vagina

What Guys Said 13

• Here is my question, according to scientists gravity can have an affect on light that's what causes black holes, the light gets pulled in. But if light is traveling at max speed towards a black hole then it stands to reason that the pull of gravity would accelerate the light since you have the initial max speed of light with the added energy from the pull of gravity. This would mean that the light would either accelerate past its "speed limit" or it would not be affected which would then mean we have something wrong with our equations and thus E=MC2.

• Close enough for humans.

• I trust the guys who invented it and for sure a big mass at a high speed can generate a lot of energy :D

• 13d

You do not think he might wrong? Also kinetic energy is a completely different equation. Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mass * velocity^2

• 13d

Well, I'm not a physician but I trust the real ones haha... and otherwise one day I'll discover :-(

• In the wise words of Neil Degrasse Tyson. "We don't know". With the current level of technology and experimentation, all of the science we know is still a theory. People used to think the Earth was the center of the universe and had "evidence" to back it up but now we know that isn't true. But that is the beauty of science, everything you know now might be proven wrong a hundred years later.

• No. At least not that we know of yet... The only way to be proven wrong is if there is an object or wave that can travel faster than the speed of light, which hasn't been proven so far

• There's no such thing as perfection in science. Science will always be flawed, hence why there's always room for improvement.

• we are not sure , and when something we are not sure about is called theory , we know that mass can't be destroyed , but if we could do that it needs an incredibly high amount of energy and they energy that is given of may be even more thats why its C^2 .

• Prove it is wrong lol if it is then you have your answer.

• Incomplete would be a better option. It clearly works. Thus the nuke.

• Its correct. It was proven by science.

• yes. crappystein was full of shit... .

• 13d

boohoo a fangirl of crappystein got butthurt... .

• 13d

and another one. whats up brainwashed kitten? shocked much?

• No it assumes 0 movement of the partials a impossible state for the partial to be in

• Am I down with E=MCC? Yeah, you know me.