Would you agree with this statement: no one who works 40 hours a week should live below the poverty line?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 7

• Nope. It all depends on what kind of work you're doing. You can "work" 40 hours a week and be entirely unproductive. People have to truly earn the right not to live in poverty. Simply giving that away is an underlying Segway into communism.

• 18d

Yeah, easy to say from a privileged balcony. Been born in a wealthy country, in a family that gave you start in life. What if it you were born in third-world slum, without mother or father, without home.. Have watched Slumdog millionaire?

• I think it is sad. But I dont think people who work hard and make the right decisions with their life should have to pay for people who screw up their life.

• 18d

Yeah, if people mope around and don't do squat then you shouldn't have to pay for them (unless they can't work because of a medical condition) but that's not the issue here.

• 18d

So do you want to raise the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour?

• 18d

No, I want to tax the parasitic financial institutions and invest the money in construction and manufacturing firms so people can get living wage jobs without a need for a college education.

• This depends on how much you make whether its hourly or salary, and the cost of living in your area. You still work 40 hours a week and just bareky have enough to cover rent.

• Yes, I agree with this. Unfortunately, not everyone gets the salary they deserve.

• I agree with the concept, i dont necessarily agree with the wording.

• Agree.

• Unless they getting paid $1 an hour it ain't no way lol

What Guys Said 17

• I said No because this is not a true statement. The national minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
    7.25 x 40 hrs = $290.00
    $290 x 52 weeks = $15,080
    The national poverty level for 2016 is $11,770
    $15,080 - $11,770 = $3,310 ABOVE the national poverty line.

Several state have a higher minimum wage while the national poverty level is the same in all states.

That was one of Barry Sander's campaign slogans. He was banking on younger people not bothering to do the math and vote for him.

• No, for a couple reasons.

First, people should be allowed to work for any rate they can negotiate and agree to.

Second, the poverty level is a joke. There may be a few exceptions in some very expensive areas, but for the most part that poverty level is a joke. That is not poverty and should not be called that. Anyone who can't live with that much income is doing something wrong.

• 18d

First, haven't you ever heard the term 'exploitation'? Or you don't care?
      Second, you realize this applies not just to the USA, but the whole world?

• 40 hours a week isn't even a lot.. No one who is successful works less than 60 hours a week and most do more than that.

If you keep raising the minimum wage you will just price people with no real skills out of the job market. At first you will see high schoolers at work getting replaced then people who work full time will lose their job.
    The minimum wage in my state is 7.25 an hour but many people want to raise it to 15.00 an hour. If you're making 10.00 an hour, 2.75 more than the minimum wage, and the minimum wage gets raised 15.00. If your employer cannot pay you the new wage, then you will get laid off and your new wage will be 0.00 an hour!

• What do you mean, that is are you saying that we should not be below the poverty line as in we are and its wrong, or are you saying that its impossible to be below the poverty line while working 40 hours a week? Because I would agree with the former and disagree with the latter.

• Then how will the great US of A thrive. How will that 1% be satisfied if they don't got their hands in your pocket

• People should be payed based on their contributions to society. Sadly this isn't always the case i. e. teachers. I personally believe that if you are doing a job that an elementary schooler could do then you probably don't deserve to make 40k a year or whatever the poverty line is today.

I believe that we should make it easier for people to access the education needed to get a higher paying career instead of making it easier for people to live off of the lowest paying jobs.

• 18d

Someone should do these jobs too. Usually the least paid ones are as well some of the most unpleasant too.

• Why would anyone work 40 hours a week to be below a genuine poverty line? You can limbo that bastard without having to wake up early!

• If your a Walmart greeter working 40 hours a week, you can still be below the poverty line. I'm sure @Apple24 can attest to that from people she's worked with on the job.

• 19d

YES! If I move out than I would only have enough to pay for the rent and have to get another job for food. Just because you work 40 hours doesn't mean your not struggling.

• Fuck no. If you work a minimum wage job full time you should be below the poverty level. Those jobs do not exist for someone to make a life out of.

• Do you want to kill the economy?

• Agree but unfortunately it's not always the case

• Minimum wage is calculated with things like poverty in mind.
    So this shouldn't even happen unless the employer is breaking the law.

• 19d

?, not really...

• 18d

So you're telling me you could live on $15,080 a year? lmao

• 17d

After taxes that is less than 1000 a month... Again assuming you work literally every day with no sick days or time off, which in the US minumum wage workers dont get paid for.

• what you might feel is fair has no bearing on what the state of the world can actually support. What is actually viable is a whole other conversation

• If you flip burgers you don't deserve a house

• 19d

Why not?

• 18d

He is not talking about a house, he is talking about living in poverty, being able to put food on the table, and feed your family. Perhaps not in the most lavish lifestyle, but able to do so WITHOUT charity or government assistance.

• 18d

You could live while being in poverty, but if you are in poverty the chances of you having the mental faculty to do so are slim

• It's one of those things where if you think with your heart you would say yeah but if you think with your brain you more often than not would say no.

• What a crook one should be not to agree?

• absolutely. nobody who works 40 hours deserves to be below the poverty line