Is anyone else really concerned about the rise of the far right in the western world?

Hell, I don't even know if I'd call some of these people Conservatives.
I mean just looking at the difference between people like John McCain, Brian Sandoval, Susan Collins, and People like Donald Trump, Marine La Penn, and Geert Wilders.
The former at least possessing a good measure of Basic Decency the Latter being hard-core nationalist bigots and borderline Fascists.
What scares me are the polls that show that Geert Wilders is topping the polls and La Penn also has a decent chance.

19d Dammit, AGAIN I FORGET TO DISABLE ANON ANSWERS
19d I mean look at John McCain we may not often see eye to eye but there is no doubt in my mind that he is a decent man.
Hell, he's a vocal opponent of torture.

Most Helpful Girl

• No because I know this world is not forever. I think the western world and developed countries in general are getting too big for their britches. They're in for a hard fall whenever it happens. It may not be in my life time, but I really believe the developing world will fail within the next couple of centuries if the world lasts that long.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yea it appears the Helgian Dialecitc swings against us yet again
    Viva liberte

What Girls Said 7

• why shouldn't people in western countries try to preserve their culture? why should they be forced to open their borders?

• 19d

I 100% agree.

• 19d

@mostwomenshouldstfu In many military areas, the Japanese were quite advanced. In part this was because the Japanese were quite open to foreign ideas, e. g. how they learned a lot from the Royal Navy.

But that's not to say that they didn't come up with a lot on their own. The area that first comes to mind is the superiority of Japanese naval night fighting doctrine. Despite having the advantage of radar, there were many times when the US got hammered in the Solomons because the Japanese knew the right way to do things.

• 18d

@JenSCDC Neat. I'd argue their persistence is/was/has been their weakness. You say they excelled in night flying, radar was a game changer that even the most coordinated attacks were foiled by. Their pursuit of perfection is admirable, problem with that is they don't have the wherewithal to realize when they're operating on a diminishing return. A lot of Japanese products are really exquisite, but some of their effort is overkill.

• I'm pretty confident that Marine Le pen won't win. She's really not popular in Big cities and the highly educated atmosphere.
    In my law Uni all my teachers keep bashing her, and they are White skinned, Atheist, Wine Drinker, Baguette Eater, professors. It was the same in my HS my History. Philosophy , Literature teachers hated her.
    Marine is more popular outside of Paris and in smaller cities/villages.
    France is the country of the "Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen". We all agree it's important to protect your borders but the educated French people, especially Parisians know that fascism is not the answer.

• 19d

TBH, I kinda doubt it,
      She's in second right now.
      And a lot of places people won't voice their support like that

• Yes..

• I'm concerned as well..

• It's geert wilders! One of ours! Not one to be proud of, but still!

• 20d

He's something to be ashamed of.
      He's worse than Trump

• 20d

God I hope you're right (or left in this case)
      At least in the midterm elections the opposition party takes power and considering the democrats barely don't control the house and senate meaning it will be a two house majority.
      I'm just sitting here waiting for two years to pass.

But it means a lot, hell, we have a system of Checks and Balances (Its probably the only part of our government that will prevent the total destruction.) but a lot can happen with one leader

• 20d

But yeah, one thing about ours is that if it goes to utter fascism, at least you'd get a bunch of pissed off liberals armed with rifles, shotguns, handguns. Hell my views are pretty much that of a social democrat and even I know how to access a rifle and a couple of handguns

• We just had 8 years the other direction so I'm sure everyone will make it through.

• 19d

Except these aren't even conservatives that are running in Europe but borderline and in Wilders Case, actual, Fascists.

• 19d

Again, I'd say we've had some non elected fascists the other direction in the recent past.

• Cause and effect.

• 19d

U mad bro? jk. i answer anon cuz we wouldn't get along no more if I revealed myself :P

• 19d

But I'd like to follow you

• 19d

You already do ^^ <3 We don't talk much though. I comment on some of your questions and takes.

What Guys Said 20

• The west is like a pendulum. We had been swinging left for several years and now we shall begin to swing to the right. At the end of the day, a mixture of right and left wing politics is what works the best so this pendulum is how we keep that balance. I can assure you that this has been going on for years and is the most successful political strategy ever invented.

• Trump is not far right, we conservatives don't even like the far right they take things to far.

And no I'm not worried about it but if I was given the choice between the real threat and the alt right I'll choose the alt right they are the lesser evil.

• I wish. As it is, these clowns have nothing to do with rightism or the value of family, God, and tradition as in a pre-Enlightenment society. They are just fascists who want to implement their authoritarianism, like Marxist revolutionaries who are the antithesis of leftism in the true sense.

• 19d

I actually pointed that out as well,
      They aren't conservatives just fascists

• Not at all, the Left is way more dangerous, just look at the shit they've done in Europe.
    I'm glad the right is rising and bringing nationalism with them. Being proud of your country and wanting to preserve the culture that makes you great, shouldn't be seen as bad, quite the opposite.

I hope Marine Le Penn wins, France desperately needs her.

• No. It's the far left that has historically slaughtered people. The right endorses individualism and freedom.

• Far Right and Far Left feed into each other and are extremely scary... I'm worried. Also I'd say that Trump, Le Pen, and Wilders aren't themselves all that scary BUT they empower maniacs and often give cover to truly horrific people and ideas. Same thing with Corbyn and his ilk on the Left

• I'm not concerned about the rise of the far right because I don't believe there is such a thing. The west is moving steadily left, not right.

Maybe you are identifying attempts to slow the leftward movement as moving to the right. But it's not. It just means it's moving left more slowly.

• Not really. Things will probably sway in the other direction after a while.

• The failures from leftist idealogies in the west are the reason why the far-right is rising.

• 20d

Really cause the far right worked out great in the 1920-40s and in spains case to the 70s

• 20d

And? So are you telling me that far-left idealogies like communism and socialism have worked well in the west then?

• 20d

A little bit of socialism works fucking wonders. The thing is Socialism is a scale and can be mixed with Capitalism, public schools; Socialism, Paved Roads; Socialism; The FDA; Socialism.
      Communism is that EVERYTHING is state owned and is NOT sliding scale
      Look at FDR, Eisenhower, and Harry Truman

• fascism originated from extreme liberalism in the 1800's. the it is a reactionary movement against the liberalism, materialism and individualism as well as humanism that dominated the 18'th century.

fascism comes from the ancient Greek word fasces. a fasces is a kind of axe which symbolized in ancient Greece extremist authoritarianism and totalitarianism. in the 19th century the fasces was taken from ancient Greece as inspiration for the foundations of fascism. the fasces symbolizes unity of the people through authority of the state.

fascism believes that it is up to the state to dictate and define what the individual can be and the individual duties of every single citizen. the doctrine of fascism explicitly states that the nation must be prepared for war and the governing powers must be combined with corporate powers in the nation. fascism enslaves both institution and individual. (they call it uniting them, but i call it enslavement)

there is no current day political party that has any single policy that even REMOTELY comes near fascism.

what did you think? that extremist liberalism was going to keep dominating the political arena?

there must be balance in the political spectrum. the people need freedom of speech. for so long the people could not speak up about what concerned them. in the Netherlands, France, Germany and Sweden police officers go to peoples doors when they post "risky" tweets that are not in favor of liberalism. you think thats normal? you think that is a good thing? liberalism is too totalitarian.

the liberals have messed up. their acceptance and tolerance bullshit is not working.

• Not really. I'd rather have a far right leader than a liberal. i can't stand them.

• I think you could make the same statement of both parties in that many have become polarized where it's not "hey, let's work together", but more us vs. them. I mostly see the parties not supporting the interests of the people, but more the interests of their parties.

• Things have to get worse before they get better.
    Improvement isn't a straight line, and what doesn't work has to be proved to the world. Things were much more volatile before WWI, it is just that history hasn't been recorded well enough.
    Society as a whole has to be taught periodically and reminded. People have short memories.

• Hopefully La Penn wins and Merkel loses her next bid.

• @Waffles731 I would like to ask you which country are you from?

• 19d

The States

• 19d

Thanks. I assume that from your answers. The whole thing with ultra right wing parties, is only because of our politicians. Because they totally failed in dealing with "refugee crisis"
      Look what happened in Germany last New Years Eve. Look at Sweden. Rapes rose by 1000%
      Look at Italy. Few days ago police came to the private owned hotel and they confiscated this hotel. They already arrived with refugees and hotel was immediately filled with them.
      Imagine :you go for shopping, you come back and your home is occupied by refugees. What you gonna do? Call the cops. Cops arrive and tell you that there's nothing they can do and you'll be suggested to live somewhere else. Look at the UK. Children refugees from Calais are actually over 20 years old young males. All these things happening in the Europe right now. That's why people in the Europe gets upset. That's why ultra nationalists are rising.

• 19d

Look at the Czech Republic. Officially there are no refugees at all. Few days ago one refugee tried to rape nurse during her shift. Secret Services has no clue there are refugees in their country. Neither government. They all failed. And here comes rising nationalism.

• Well Donald Trump was a registered democrat and voted Gore over Bush. So really don't think he's far right.

And no I'm not concerned. The nuts on the far right aren't any different than the nuts on the far left.

• EU is going to topple.

• Lolzzz it doesn't matter

• They will all unify as one, and slowly suck the economy and life out of us. But dont worry, the Repunklicans think that there is no such thing as Global Warming and do away with the EPA, so we dont have to worry, who gets us 1st, them or the planet.

• I support Trump and his choices so far.