Have you ever sacrificed a new person at your workplace?

I work in a big grocery store. As a cashier. Which apparently according to everyone else in the store is the worst job. Especially in the holiday season. But where I work, it's just like a thing to sacrifice the new people who we don't care much for yet. They did it to me, and now I do it to the new people also. Occasionally if I like the new person, I'll feel bad, but not bad enough to NOT sacrifice them if there's something that I don't want to do. (Like go to self check out, or get on one of the bad registers).
And these poor new people have no idea what is even happening until they become part of like "us". This often ends up in the new people quitting early on. But we're always just like "Meh, they were weak, we don't need them anyway".

Currently though there are SEVERAL new people. Only we've all kinda agreed that we HATE one of the girls and want her to quit. So we sacrifice her way more than the others. But also she's only one call in day from quitting anyway. And she went and bragged to one of the girls who she I guess thought was her friend because she was nice about how she's going to call in on Thursday and claim she's in mourning (even though the rest of us are scheduled and plan to tough it out, as well as on Friday, plus it's a LIE.). This girl went and told all the cashiers, and then that got passed to the CSM's. So now everyone knows she's going to do that, and I have a feeling everyone is just gonna be way harder on her for it. (Myself included, I'm not gonna hold the high and mighty stick here, plus she's been mean to me since she started anyway.)

But we're not terrible, we're actually rated one of the most friendly stores in the state, and once the new people even will say they really like us (though they don't know we're throwing hoops at them) And it's not like we're just not working and making them work, we just want the BETTER work that we feel entitled too since we've been there longer. Does this happen at other work places?

• Yes, it's a right of passage
  • No, that's cruel
  • Other
  • I just wanna see the results

What Guys Said 2

• Not sacrificing that shot just sounds dark but we do throw to the wolves to see if you can become one of us cause mostly everyone at my store is seasoned vets

• 17d

We accept the noobs quickly enough for some, and then some we just sorta stop sacrificing and they kinda glide under than radar where they aren't really apart of the pack, but we've got nothing against them and don't wanna see them suffer anymore

• 17d

Oh at my place we take votes on which new person to toss to the wolves. Customer service is usually where it goes down, because the noobs are always on the registers anyway. So when something comes up, a CSM or person in charge is like "Who are we voting off the island?"

• 17d

Well let's me I have 3yrs she has 3yrs guy 9yrs and two other people in the building had 2yrs. It's safe to say this person didn't have a say in the matter cause I remember talking with the girl and saying the new person Dosent have much of a choice

• No, that's cruel

What Girls Said 1

• This is pretty normal i think, anytime you are the new kid on the block you gotta earn the respect of the people around you. It happens in all kinds of ways, some very subtle and some not.