Can you give me an idea for my character's bad childhood memory with her father?

She's living with her single father in the slums, never knew her mother. He works hard to provide for her despite people of his kind not being able to get a steady job. I've come up with a good memory, but what could be a bad one?

What Guys Said 2

• he had issues with drugs and whenever he is depressed he always gets some.. his wife dumped him and her daughter looking for a better new life. ended up marring another dude.
    one day he overdosed , passed away.. she moved to her mother's house but her husband was a jerk maybe molested her couple of times.. you can go on from that

• he always downplayed (character's) acheivements, no matter what (character) did, it was never enough to impress, and always said (character) will never amount to anything

something along those lines I'm sure its pretty standard

What Girls Said 3

• There are so many options to choose from. He could have been abusive (verbally, physically, or sexually), he could be an alcoholic, he could misuse drugs, the house could get robbed, someone could murder him, or (if they live in a forest) he could get attacked by a wild animal. I'm good at coming up with negative experiences. When I used to practice writing stories, I would always choose the worst plot I could think of.

• Seeing her father beg for food and give her all of it while he himself is starving. It would create a depth to the character and make you ache for him. Show him spending every last penny on her, and none on himself.

• Being raped is the first that comes to mind.