Do you ever wake up and find that you're anxious?

Once in a blue moon, I wake up, and I'm anxious. And nothing bad happened, I don't remember a bad dream, and I'm not sick-yet, I wake up and I'm on edge. I don't know why? It's like, the slightest thing makes me jump, and I find I'm nervous and my heart races because of these frights. What is that? Do you ever have days like that?

• Yes, I have a condition
  • Yes, no condition I know of
  • No
10d Thank you so much for the answers. It really frightens me because I get so afraid, especially when I'm alone, and it's such a terrible feeling. The silver lining is that other people understand. Though I don't have money for medical advice at the moment... I'm looking up things from reputable sites for help. :)

What Guys Said 20

• "Yeah once or twice it's whenever I sense someone die"
    Jesus hang on there bud. You must have this sense every second.

Yes a lot of people have days like that or even mornings.
    Anxiety is brutal because it is one of those things that can spin, and spin faster. Out of control.
    This can be due to a number of things.
    Anxiety may also lead to more nightmares or more stressful dreams. Often when you are woken up in the middle of these dreams, you feel exactly as you did in the dream - stressed and anxious. Not everyone remembers their dreams even after they wake up, so you may not always realize that your anxiety is associated with your dreams or nightmares.
    You have been dealing with a lot of stress lately, pertaining to the relationship, school and even in some case, part of your fam.
    I think that it is important to take the necessary steps slowly to avoid running into this issue in the future.
    www.healthyplace.com/.../

• You still dream, even if you don't remember it. It's very common to wake up after a bad dream or just a neutral dream and feel various ways. Afraid, nostalgic,. I've woken up with the impulse to listen to a specific song, coming from nowhere. I wouldn't call it a "condition". It's just something that happens.

My recommendation is to begin a dream journal. Before you go to bed consciously tell yourself that you will remember your dreams. Keep doing that. Even if it doesn't work immediately, it'll help. If you remember your dreams, you'll be able to tell if they were the source of why you woke up with anxiety.

Incidentally, this is also the first step to having lucid dreams. And lucid dreams are pretty much the only way humans become Gods. They are fucking legendary experiences, and also scientifically proven.

• It becomes a vicious cycle. We wake up feeling intense because of the stored up Cortisol levels throughout the night, which makes us feel anxious, so our bodies continue to pump out Cortisol, which creates more anxiety, which produces more cortisol, which causes us to feel more anxious, etc. Usually it related to your stress in day life.

• I think it's comforting to know that A LOT of people have similar experiences. Condition or no condition, lots of people go through this.

I've experienced this a few times.
    I think what really makes me anxious is the thought of being anxious, as strange as that sounds lol. It's just this random thing.
    Then the next day I feel perfectly fine.

But the less I tried resisting being anxious the more relaxed I felt, so maybe that'll help.

• 10d

That makes sense, especially the last bit about how resisting makes it worse.

• Something is stressing you out, something yu aren't consciously aware of, in all likelihood. See if you can decide what is going on.

Often people need professional help to identify these covert stressors in their lives.

• Im always stressed out.. so yeah

• I've had anxiety after waking up a few times. Most recently it was because I had a test coming and before that it was usually because I was partially sick or something else.

• Yeah once or twice it's whenever I sense someone die, I wake up feeling strange at the exact moment someone dies right down to the second it's happened twice now. Well no 3 times but the third was unique because I felt everything they did.

But being anxious is one of the feelings.

• I have woken up with a bad mood but never anxious.

Though now that I think about it, first days at school were always filled with anxiety.

• Sometimes, you may have an extremely disturbing dream and forget about it. But your subconscious remembers it and makes you jumpy.

• no never

• Have you ever seen anything while you sleep or ever had sleep paralysis

• 10d

Whenever you feel like there's something around pray

• 4d

Sleep paralysis is not fun I literally feel like something is holding me down and I can't scream or talk. The only thing I can do is move my eyes and pray in my head. Curious about these shadow people but I don't want to read before bed time I'm kinda scared:(

• 4d

@Fiestyblackwidow
      do it in the morning

• Yes, actually every now and then.. Your brain dreams sometimes without you remembering any details. But your mind shows the repercussions.

• Ya if by anxious you mean horny. I usually wake up with morning wood. Kind of a guy thing though haha

• Yes, that is common to happen to people.

• Almost every day... that's what it's like living with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder)

• I've woken up into panic attacks.

• Only during deer season..

• The only thing I feel is frustration that I can't remember very much of my dreams

• You have assignments due don't you.

What Girls Said 13

• Haha. I have GA (general anxiety) disorder. I don't remember the last time I was 100% relaxed, in fact I don't know if I ever have been. Mind you I'm not paralyzingly anxious all day, but I experience anxiousness, stress and pestering thoughts every single day of my life.

I have had days where I had the same experiences as you, and unfortunately the only thing I could do was take it easy and let it pass. I find that the more you can keep away from outside agitators and find things that either entertain or relax you, that helps. Watch a movie, play a game, take a nap, etc.

• Could just be your personality? Take the "big five factor" test (you can find it online anywhere) and it will tell you if your more of an anxious person or aggressive... I got aggressive and they were spot on with the rest 👌

• Yes, but I am diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, so it's just kinda what I expect :P

• Yeah some days I wake anxious especially if I know that I may have a lot of errands to run that day or something exciting is happening that day for me.

• I used to constantly, but it's died a lot down now as I'm no longer dealing with depression, PTSD and social anxiety.

• I can get back pain if it becomes to much

• Not right when I wake up, but I do get panic attacks. Usually, I know the reason, I just am having a difficult time dealing with whatever the issue may be at the moment and I get overwhelmed.

• Nope, It has never happened to me.
    Every morning seems to be relaxed. Usually I have funny and happy dreams and they always make my mornings beautiful :) I should be thankful to them haha
    I love mornings, even Monday morning xD

• Every day of my life

• That is anxiety disorder. Just very minimal. Unlike myself, if I dont take medications I'm like that every second of the day.

• Anxiety disorders really mess with ya

• A few times in a year. Never know why.

• I wake up anxious from nightmares all the time. I have PTSD from being abused as a child, and these nightmares are usually reenactments of the abuse I endured as a child. I have lucid dreams a d lucid nightmares, so they're incredibly realistic and I can feel and taste things in them and even read text and different handwriting (supposedly you're not supposed to be able to read in dreams) , so it's no wonder I get anxiety when I wake up.

Last night I dreamt that my dad was groping the inside of my left knee. I can still feel the circular motion he used in my dream because it was so realistic. That feeling has left me unsettled all day.

I go through phases when I don't dream at all, when I dream mostly good dreams, and when I dream mostly nightmares. Unfortunately I'm on a nightmare kick right now and it's been affecting my quality of sleep and job performance.