How long would you hire a personal trainer?

my mum said I can have him maximum 2 months :(
I don t think I d have any significant difference in 2 months DX

10d yo, for people who don t think I am fit
http://i63.tinypic.com/rm2pvq.jpg
I want him to make me more competitive in swimming

What Guys Said 28

• You'd be surprised what you can get done in 2 months. I added 2 inches to my arms in 2 months. That's quite a lot, by the way. To put it another way, I went from 123 pounds to 135 in 2 months: adding on muscle. And that was just on my own. Of course, I had been 135-140 before, so it was easier to put the weight back on. Muscles remember how big they used to be. But, still, that's a lot of growth in 2 months.

If it's for fat loss, you can safely burn 2 pounds a week, which would be 16 pounds lost in 2 months.

In addition, a habit is formed after 2 weeks. So, having a personal trainer keep you on point for 2 months will have lasting effects after the personal trainer goes away. So, it's not only about what you could get done in the time that you have a personal trainer, but also the lasting routine that s/he gives you and the good habits that will form after they leave.

Nutrition is also a supremely important part of being fit, too, so hopefully the personal trainer will also add in tips on that, which would last after the 2 months were over. Hopefully. If you maintain discipline.

In any case, be glad you have access to a personal trainer at all.

You might ask RedEyeMindTricks. She knows a lot about the fitness world and personal training.

• 10d

I am already fit
      I want him to get more competitive in swimming
      yea I know I am lucky

• 10d

I sorta assumed you were starting from 0. My bad.

• 10d

no problemo ^^

• I don't think you need one right now. Personal trainers are for people who have specific needs to work on, and/or don't have the dedication or knowledge of how they need to work out, or in what fashion and equipment they need to work out with, to get the results they need. Or, it's for physio issues. But, from what I can tell, you don't need it, unless you are lacking in an area or want more knowledge on a technique or nutritional information.

• 9d

I want to get more competitive and I dont know much about weight lifting

• 9d

awee thanks :)
      well you give good feedback!

• 9d

Thanks. I try my best from what experience and knowledge I have.

• I wouldn't hire one because I am one lol.

I never got why people hire us for months on end, our job mainly is to watch and observe you and get an idea of what you want and then create a program revolving around that then we leave you to it and just check up on you every now and then and see how your doing and if you want to change anything lol.

But yes it can make a difference if your someone who needs constant motivation and support. Which is you pretty much, so I'd do it I guess if I were you.

Though you won't actually see any results till like the end of that 2 month mark as it takes several months to even start to see results and by results I mean physical and visible results, your strength and endurance will increase depending on the type of training your doing though and how hard your training.

• You will form good training habits in 2 months, and you probably WILL see results, depending on your starting point.. were you already in shape, or a couch potato?

(Part time personal trainer)

• 10d

I am an athlete lol
      I wanna get competitive

• 10d

Yes, that's one purpose of a personal trainer. You'l only have that for the 2 months.

• 10d

no shit XD

• Maybe discuss with a coach first, and ask him the question.
    I see two potential benefits:
    1) Hire him two months during the period there are no competitions. He could than assist you to get a stronger overall physical contition in preparation for the next season.
    2) Hire him in the mast two months before an important tournament to help you with the preparation. Learn as much from him as possible so you can reproduce it afterwards :D

• 10d

it s sort off the same XD

• 10d

I'm not certain.
      I don't know how you train for swimming but a cyclist for example, will train endurance and powrr in the months between the end of one season and the start of the next.
      Some time before the first competition he'll start to intensify his practice sessions, getting those pulse rates up high and training explosive force.
      So more interval training instead of endurance and power.

• 10d

ah I see what you mean\
      yea makes sense

• like I told you already... I think it can be enough. In those 2 months you'll learn enough from him to stay on track without having an expensive personal trainer.

• 2 months is better than nothing and there can be a significant difference.

• Personal trainers are a waste of money!
    I think 2 months is plenty. Then you can take what they taught you and continue it yourself!

All you need is someone to teach you. After that it's up to you.

I have never had a personal trainer or anyone to show me how to work out I just read books and I turned out ok 😝 Besides my tendinitis in my shoulders lol

• 10d

lol exactly! XD does it still hurt lol?
      but I need him to get better at swimming DX

• 10d

@Phoenix98 thanks for the advice. I never thought too much about different personal training certifications and what they mean.

• 10d

No problem and o yeah there are different certifications which specialize in different things like fitness for seniors, strength training, sports fitness etc. And the quality of the education varies from school to school.

• it's up to ur deal

• For one thing, two months will really get you going. Even if you don't see a huge transformation, you will have got it started. Fat will be dropping and muscle growing. You're already fit so this is about refining your technique to be even better.

For another - make this guy earn his pay. Personal training is not cheap so make damned sure he does more than count your reps and ask if you're feeling the burn, bro. Absolutely make sure that you know how to continue making progress on your own after you're done with him, with guidance on weights and exercises and nutrition and recovery.

• Well in this case, as they would say - between a rock and a hard place... it's either 2 months or no months...😛

Take your pick sassafrass

• As long as the free trial lasted..

• lol well aren't you a cute little chubby bunny? =P

• 9d

fuck off!

• 9d

i heard sex helps improve your breathing so that might help with your swimming =P but i am a virgin so who REALLY knows =D

• 7d

then I am screwed :P

• In 2 months, you can learn his teaching techniques and apply them to the rest of the training times. If you're only looking for someone to shout at you, hire a fan, cause as soon as you know how he trains you, you can do it yourself.

Of course that some competitions may require specific training, and advices that you may not have opportunity to learn in such a short time.

• Just find guys and ask them to be your personal trainer. You don't have to pay them anything. If they're not serious or helpful, just ask some other guy. Spend your money on books and makeup!

• I wouldn't I know how to exercise all it really help with is having someone to shout at me for motivation it dont make enough difference to be worth it.

• Why do you need one?

• I would if I wanted.. but nah I didn't and never will. I don't want to be taught by someone D;

• 10d

I want to be shout at by someone lol

• 10d

Ye ye come.. I'll turn u into a soldier Commando ;D

• 10d

ROARR

• If you can afford to hire him , hire him for at least 2 years.

• 10d

it s 25$ for a session of 2h
      and I have him 2 times a week
      he made us a price I don t think it s expensive no?

• 10d

If your parents are willing to pay , it will be better.

• Never because I am not rich like you, girl :))

• I rather practice martial arts.

• You will but besides that you'll learn everything you need to know to continue on your own

• I had a personal trainer in the past but my current schedule doesn't permit me to get to the gym very much anymore😞

• I just YouTube everything instead. But maybe try for 1 month and see how it goes.

• if i had the money i would

• 6 months or less

• As long as I can afford to, anywhere from 3 to 6 months probably.

• If it were you, wouldn't mind you being around a lot. But then I wouldn't be able to focus on the exercise lol. I'd just be looking at you.

• 10d

If my trainer was @ElissaDido, I'd hire her everyday

• 10d

If it were you, and you were rewarding me with (starts with blo and ends with jobs) then every day for indefinitely.

Otherwise I think maybe a month to get on track.

• 10d

eww get out of here man!

What Girls Said 13

• The entire point of a trainier is to help you find a routine that works for you. Once that is done you really don't need him. Just stick to your routine. And remember everyone sees results differently some people will take 2 weeks to start seeing a difference some it will take 6 months everyone's body is different. Just stick to the routine!

• After this 2 months you will be able to make your own workout routine. You'll get to know you body better.

• 10d

Sorry. I've seen the update. You are probably right... I don't think that 2 months will make any huge difference. After those months you can use your charm to convince your mother to hire your trainer for a long time :)

• 10d

hahaha
      imma be working on that XD

• I had one for a year. My parents helped pay for her. But I've seen you. You don't look like you would need one.

• 10d

I want him to make me competitive enough for swimming

• 10d

Oh, okay. I think you can make progress over two months but it depends how much extra time and effort you put into it outside of your sessions with the trainer.

• 10d

I train 2 other times with my swimming team at univ
      so 4 times per week in total

• You can learn a ton of new techniques and good form in that much time if you have a good trainer. I'm always happy when I can train with different people and get new workouts.

• 10d

but I only train for 2 times a week
      and I need him for swimming :(

• 10d

I see. I still say any opportunity to learn is a good one even if it's very small.

• 10d

that s a positive way to look at it ;)

• I trained with one for three weeks and saw a huge difference lol

• 10d

but I wanna train to become more competitive
      plus how many days a week did you have

• 2 months should be enough to get you educated on what you need to do and motivated to continue alone when the 2 months is over, I probably wouldn't go less than that though as I'd need someone to kick my ass until I was in a routine

• A couple of months

• Why does your mom run your life? You're 21 ffs

• 10d

cause she pays?
      I am a full time univ student lol

• Never. I can do it on my own.

• Probably not no but you'd learn a few things

• I would never hire one

• Maybe one week since I would always report the the training XD

• yes have a session where he will give you a program then in 6-8 weeks go back to have in update.

• 10d

but I dont wanns train just to get in shape
      I wanna be more competitive

• 10d

he will write a program for the needs you have. probably have a hiit training